Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Cream Cleanser

3.2

OLD FORMULA: Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (2%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium C14 16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Di C12 15 Alkyl Fumarate, Coco Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, DEA Cetyl Phosphate, Matricaria Flower Extract (chamomilla recutita), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Potato Starch (solanum tuberosum), Propylene Glycol, Fragrance 5/29/09 NEW FORMULA: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, PPG-15 Stearyl Ether, Glycolic Acid, Glycerin, Steareth-21, Polysorbate 60, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, Cetyl Lactate Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Panthenol, Benzalkonium Chloride, Menthol, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Cetyl, Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance. 04/08/2011

on 10/20/2011 3:19:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

As for me this is probably one of the most harsh cleansers Ive ever tried. This had my face soooo irritated it gave me a burning swelling painful sensation , however luckily my face appeared to be normal yet it felt terrible. I tried putting up with it thought maybe my skin could get a bit prone to it but nope. Even after I stopped using this for 2 days my face still felt really sensitive to the touch, it hurt. I felt this also contributed to my acne worsening.

Ultimately the worse face wash i've tried and won't buy again.

Ive gone back to what I now know is my HG cleanser, because it doesn't do what these other acne cleansers do (irritate my skin) and my skin is already clearing up effortlessly.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I'm surprised at the negative reviews, because I actually really like this cleanser.

How I use it: I start out with my normal cleanser to remove any makeup. Then I take a pea-sized amount of this Neutrogena cleanser (yes, I use two cleansers), and smooth it over my face, chest, and the top of my back. I let it sit for about a minute, and then I rinse the cleanser off of my back and chest. I rinse the cleanser off of my face after I leave the shower and visit the sink, rinsing with cold water. This process gives me an interesting cooling sensation.
This is what seems to work for me. I can't really say I have a bad acne problem, but I do get spots occasionally. This has really smoothed out my skin quite nicely. I will definitely repurchase...though probably not soon. I've been using it for about 3 weeks and haven't made a dent!

on 8/22/2011 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I struggle with adult hormonal acne, so my skin is acne-prone, but also dry (a terrible problem since most acne products either over-dry or aren't very effective). I also have some fine lines I'm struggling with. This cleanser does a nice job cleansing, and removes makeup well. It is not as drying as some of the other acne cleansers on the market, and not as drying as the foaming neutrogena cleansers. I like this product and will buy again!

on 8/11/2011 9:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I'm loving the new formula of this face wash! I have used this face wash for as long as I can remember, in the old formulation. I had terrible acne when I was younger and thankfully it's subsided for me the most part. I know the old formula did something, because when I'd go without I'd break out. But when I purchased it the last few times the white part would separate from the clear part, and it was grossing me out.

I figured that since I was still breaking out, I should move on and experiment with other things. I used PanOxyl, but realized that bp products can really dry out your skin, and I'm paranoid that would contribute to aging even though I'm still young. Well I've decided to give salicylic acid another go, and after this face wash disappeared from shelves I noticed it came back. The new formula smells different to me, it's a nice smell, but I'm not too bothered by what face wash smells like anyway; as long as it gets the job done. Also the new formula contains glycolic acid! It feels very rich and creamy, and is not as drying like the old formula. I remember how it used to feel as though it was stripping my skin (but I was young and stupid, and thought that was a good thing).

I've learned that one face wash alone isn't going to tame my problem skin. It's the combination of products/ skincare routine. And I feel this face wash is a good part of my skincare arsenal. I recommend that you revisit this product if you've used it in the past and weren't crazy about it, it's a whole lot better.

on 8/11/2011 6:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

i usually love neutrogena cleansers but this was no good. i have oily skin with some acne, instead of clearing up my skin it made me break out and my skin felt irritated. i stopped using it and switched to another neutrogena cream cleanser and my skin is now soft. i would not buy this product again.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

In the past few years I have been struggling with adult hormonal acne. I have tried so many products. This was recommended by a friend and since I started using it daily I have not had any breakouts. I read a lot of people are having difficulty locating this product. I was able to find it at several of my local CVS drugstores (on their website as well). I admit it has been extremely difficult to find at Walmart and Target stores.

on 4/8/2011 11:17:00 AM

This product has be re-formulated. The new ingredients are as follows:

I got it from ULTA. I have not used the original formula and only used the new formula a couple of times and like it - it doesnt dry out my face like the clear acne wash. I will update when I have been using longer. I just wanted to let everyone know it is a new formula and they have it available at ULTA for all those who want to give it a shot!!

on 3/26/2011 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

i have modereatte to severe acne. i had used this product once. and then my mom through it away; and THIS THINK IS LIKE THE HOLY GRAIL!!! please someone contact me telling me where i can buy this.. or the best dupe out there.!!!!!!!!!

on 3/8/2011 7:34:00 PM

I picked this up and wasn't expecting too much from it. While admittedly less drying than the original version, this still leaves my skin feeling tight, and I don't have very dry skin! It kept my skin relatively clear, but I still broke out around my forehead, even though I don't have acne prone skin. After having this in my cupboard for a few months, the product started to settle so that I had a clear liquid coming out whenever I squeezed the bottle! I think that there are much better options in the drugstore that to be settled on this- Neutrogena's acne line disappoints me in general, and I know I won't be buying this again.

on 1/18/2011 11:21:00 PM

I Love this product! Have been using it forever! I don't have any major issues with my skin, just occasional hormonal breakouts. Well, i can't find it anywhere!!! Does anyone know what's going on?? It's been a few months now! I switched to a different cleanser with the same active ingredient and now i have lots of breakouts. And so does my husband, whom i got addicted to it... So annoying!