Avon Imari

3.1

Ah Imari.

When I ordered a batch of several purse sized perfumes, this was included in it.

Now mind you I am fairly neutral on this product.

Firstly, it is a VERY strong musk. By musk I mean just that, a woody, deep, mature scent. On my body, it smells hideous, I litterally sprayed it on my wrists, and then spent several minutes scrubbing it off and layering sweeter scents over it to try and neutralize it.

However thinking of my mom, who wears things like patchouli oil and sandlewood, I offered it to her and she loves it..

And honestly when she walks into a room and she's wearing it I often comment without realizing "hey you smell nice mom" and she says "oh its that perfume you gave me" and I am like "wow, it smells good on you.."

So in that I think that if you are a more, natural, woodsy, hippy-ish, mature woman, this would probably be an ok scent for you..

but if you like floral, fresh, or well pretty much any scent that isn't deep, woodsy and highly musky, then this is not for you!

=]

The first scent was not the first I owned, but the first I loved. I was about 13-14 and I distinctly remeber wearing this to my first school dance.

I was different than the other girls who wore Love's, CKone, Exclamation, etc. They were dressed in pinks , wore sparkly eye makeup and fruit flavored lipgloss. I wore a green satin dress, dark burgandy lipstick and Imari. this began my love affair with orientals and most warmer/musky scents.

Thes days, I wouldn't buy the perfume again only because I wouldn't use it all. The skin softener is nice and you can usually get it on sale for $1.99. Plus, it's not as strong:)

on 12/30/2008 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ya'll know I love most of Avon's stuff, but this never did it for me. It was too heavy in scent and gag-worthy.

on 12/30/2008 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I don't hate this or love it. Its definitely a "winter" scent tho. I do like it but its not my style at all......I got it as a gift and wouldn't buy it personally.

on 10/28/2008 3:59:00 PM

My mom bought me this as a present, so I wouldn't throw it away. I personally don't think its stinks or is bad, but it's something i wouldn't wear. I like it because it makes me nostalgic of the visits to grandma's house. If I ever needed cheering up, I would wear this scent because it makes me feel warm inside :) But other wise I like to wear fresh or fruity scents.

This is probably one of the worst scents that Avon ever released, and boy does this stuff smell to high heaven!
To me, this smells like dirty old socks, rubbing alcohol, and wilting flowers left standing in stagnant water.

Quite frankly, if you're considering wearing ANYTHING with the word "Imari" on it, I would suggest Imari Seduction, as it is a VAST improvement on the formula!

The original -- I'm sorry -- is crap in a bottle.

on 3/28/2008 6:17:00 PM

This is on my barf chunk inducing list of awful perfumes ever made! Sweet, rich, thick, incense, musky, skunk like scent. Kinda like that other toxic waste, Tabu. I absolutely reeked in this chemical waste. So does everyone else wearing it. Not at all good. It's got a dirty, funeral like smell. Sweaty like. So nauseating. Do our noses a kindly favor and avoid this stench. Yuck! But, I admit, in their catalogs, it smelled kinda mysterious........UPDATE:Since the soft and light fragrances no longer seem to be working for me, I have tried Candid and seem to like that. I bought the Imari deo and it is light. Now, the fragrance still seems to be a bit too much for me, but the deo, lotion and powder are doable. Not a terrible scent, just too heavy for me. Who knows though? Since I seem to like the incense stuff these days, I may come to like Imari(I did boost its ratings from a one to a 3!).

on 3/18/2008 5:35:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person that thinks this perfume reminds me of old people. I thought I was the only one and wondered why my mom and aunt like it. They are OG's when it comes to Avon and have stuck by this fragrance since before my time. I personally can't stand it, but to each his (her) own. My advice to those that do like this fragrance, is to be considerate of those that you wear it around. They may be too kind to tell you that you reek.

on 3/3/2008 10:11:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I was an Avon representative for about a year way back in the day, and I bought this for myself to try out. What a terrible, terrible mistake. During the time I was a rep, there was a dreadful old hag of a teacher at my school who stank of this purely strong alcoholic stench with a dash of rotting-something. It wasn't until I bought the Imari deodorant AND perfume (deodorant happened to be on sale) that I found out what on God's green earth that woman was reeking of.

I was totally ashamed to use either product (and only did when I was home and KNEW no one could smell me -- or in the perfume's case, never again) because the smell is both overpowering and totally unattractive, in my opinion.

on 3/1/2008 3:56:00 AM

Just let me say, I am a Avon representative, and I personally can't stand this fragrance. To me it smells like perfume from a gas station. I guess to each their own, but this stuff is very strong and very musky. It also reminds me of being stuck behind a stinky old person in line at a store.

Popular Fragrances