September 23, 2014 | 1868 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary Hair dye

rated 3 of 5 on 3/25/2013 12:28:00 AM More reviews by Dstew017

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I just recently used manic panic hair dye for the 1st time to brighten my badly faded Chi colored red hair. I chose manic panic because after dyeing my hair red the 1st time with chi hair color it soon faded, I redyed it again to brighten it, and fried my hair! I guess I had colored it to soon, and my hair had not healed enough. Anyways my hair texture was now mushy, and stretchy when wet. I was to scared to redye it when it faded AGAIN after a month because I didnt want to risk the damage, so I just walked around with my faded red for a few months. My sister who is a stylist recommended I use manic panic Vampire Red to touch up my hair if I didnt mind that it was going to be a pain. She said permanent color would be to damaging on my now fragile, over processed hair. She said that manic panic is semi permanent, would not lift my hair, and wouldnt cause damage because it is only temporary and is coating my hair, not penetrating the cortex. I used it, washed it out, blow dryed it straight, and It looked awesome! It was a beautiful rich bright burgundy looking red. My hair felt a little rough afterward but it was pretty much in the same condition it was before I used the manic panic. No side effects I thought. The next day I decided I wanted to give my hair a moisturizing deep conditioning treatement. I found a recipe online using olive oil, avacados, mayonaise and an egg an put it on my hair. I thought everything was fine until I went to wash the treatment out. CHUNKS OF MELTED PIECES OF MY HAIR BEGAN TO FALL OUT INTO THE TUB!!! Needless to say I was freaking out, I called my sister and she was in shock and at a loss for words, she had just told me that manic panic was safe, and it would probably make my hair feel and look healthier.....I guess it was only a couple sections that had melted off because I washed the treatment off, conditioned the hell out of my hair, and brushed it until all the melted pieces had fallen away. My hair now looks and feel normal again. Has anyone else ever experienced or heard of this happening?!?! My sister is convinced that it wasnt the manic panic, she thinks that the manic panic and the treatment together had a freak crazy adverse reaction when I put the treatment on my freshly MANICKED hair, causing pieces of my hair to melt. She keeps telling me its not possible that it was the manic panice because its a coating not a lifting permanent dye. She also suggested that I may be over conditioning my hair, she really doent know. I....on the other hand am not so convinced that it wasnt the manic panics doing...Im not sure it was though because it was fine when I washed it the 1st time! I really dont know what to think! I may use again, but only after doing a strand test AND talking to another professional stylist about what happened so I can figure out what caused my hair to react like that. If anyone has experieced or heard of this before please comment! I really want to know what caused that to happen to my hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2013 7:43:00 PM More reviews by SupaMaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

A couple of months ago, I decided to dye my hair red but didn't want to commit to it for long so I went for the manic panic range and I tried it in three different reds, and here it goes!
Wildfire: lightest of the reds I tried, is a very bright fiery red with orange undertones. This faded in about a week and into an orange, nevertheless it was a nice red.
Vampire red: ah the infamous vampire red, love it! It was such a deep red it reminded me of the little mermaid. :) it didn't fade as quickly as wildfire and it was more of a pink based red. Got lots of compliments on it.
Infra red: similar to vampire red, but it appeared a bit darker to me. Nevertheless it was lovely and a truer red than vampire red. It was also the one that bled the most!
So to sum it up: vampire red my favorite of all three although they where all very pretty. :) they stain a lot so careful, and wear gloves because my mint colored nails often turned lavender lol! Avoid washing your hair often and also when you do use cold water, the usual precautions. As for getting rid of it, it was actually a bit hard I bleached it twice and I still have a bit of a peach twinge on my bangs but not complains it gives my blonde dimension I say. :) so if you're looking for a semi perm red definitely give manic panic a chance chances are its easier to get rid of than splat. (oh god that was a tough one!)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by callieinterrupted

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Manic Panic is saddening.
Ever since I started dying my hair, Manic Panic was all that I used. No doubt it faded over time regardless, but I found Vampire Red would last a long time and just fade to scarlet at the worst.

Over the years (5) that I've used it, there's definitely been a downgrade in the formula some way. Vampire red, as of 2012, rinses out a deep pink and stains my body and shower. It never used to do that beyond some pink lather. It literally rains pink now, even if I don't use shampoo.

I have no idea what happened to their formula.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2013 3:28:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

I'm gaga over Manic Panic!! My hair is dry and chemically treated with blonde highlights, I dye the underside layers with MP to mix things up! It's not damaging to the hair and there's zero mixing required. I do suggest wearing gloves due to the fact that it will stain your hands and nails. The fun part of this hair color is that it gradually fades out and the color transitions from dark to light. Fave color is voodoo blue and atomic turquoise. I'd skip out on cotton candy pink because it literally has no pigment unless your hair is bleached. It doesn't improve the condition of hair by any means, but it doesn't damage or dry it out like box dyes- no harsh chemicals and vegan:) will repurchase again & again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 10:43:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Fun, funky-punky colors that wash out. A cool way to experiment with color. I am partial to the HOT hot pink.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2013 10:38:00 AM More reviews by kellincarlile

I love MPs great selection of colors. I slowly lightened my hair for the summer, and I knew I would want to dye my hair before it was over. (I had a dark yet obviously fake red hair.) Manic panic is perfect for those who change their hair color a lot. Though sometimes I don't want a very bright color so I get a bowl or container that I can stain, a brush, (any brush will do) conditioner and the hair color I want. Putting as much conditioner n the container to cover the area I'm dying and using the the brush to get a small scoop of my MP color. Mix that together, make it as dark or as light as you want, the lighter you Mae, it will turn Out pastel. I love this because its very light but still fan and makes the dye last WAY longer.

NOTE. Manic panic is an all natural semipermanent dye. It will not last as long as chemical dyes. But I have found that using the manic panic on my ends its leaving them n better shape than before. I love this dye but to each its own.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/31/2013 2:32:00 PM More reviews by MillieSkittles

I Bought Manic Panic Cotton Candy Pink. Bleached my hair to as light as I could get it, then applied the color. It absolutely wouldnt stick. I tried three times that night, then tried again three days later. it just washed right out, even after leaving it over night. Went to the store and bought a different brand pink, worked perfectly. what a waste of money.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2012 9:44:00 PM More reviews by Sketch14

The First time i used manic panic in Cotton Candy... i didnt go to school until i got dye again. I bleached my hair using a 30 volume developer and it turned a really light orange (previous hair being red) in some spots white and others a darker orange. Stupidly i still put in the dye. I needed the full jar for my boob length hair. After an hour, my hair was a darker orange in most spots or the same, even in the white spots.
Recently though, i used manic panic in purple haze on my ends with Jerome Russel's Punky Colors in Rose Red at the bottom. after dying my hair to a dirty blonde/orange. I put the color in and left it for an hour and a half. I was expecting my hair to still be blonde and look like shyt. to my surprise, the colors were vibrant and blended amazing.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2012 12:47:00 AM More reviews by ariel2229

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have onlytried two of there hair dyes. Ultaviolet and wildfire. here are my experiences
Ultraviolet: I had interesting results with this particular dye. (have the full Story on the review for the Specific ultraviolet dye) but lets just say that hair went from purple to royal blue overnightll!!..
wildfire: l'absolutely loved this color i bleached my hair to a yellow and put this at the tips.Everybody said i looked like i had fire hair which was exactlywhat iwanted.This color when bleached turns to a shade o f neon orange which i personaly loved.
Unlike some here i at ualy like tgat it came in a jar. i can make sure i get every bit of product out of it, espescially because this was fairly expensive.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 10:17:00 PM More reviews by AmandaPandaPSC

If I need to color my hair, and don't have time to wait for a shipment of special effects dye, I pick up MP at Sally's, but this dye fades way too fast. I mixed cotton candy pink with special effects cupcake (about 50/50), and I can tell that it has lightened after one wash...i believe the MP is what has washed out :/ I've used straight SFX and it barely budges. MP is good if you like changing your color often, don't wash often, and have a lot of money to blow on dye (since you would have to keep retouching)