October 21, 2014 | 1827 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 224 Tapered Blending Brush

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 3:22:00 AM More reviews by sweetascocoa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this brush for eye makeup blending purposes, but I find that this brush is a little too big for my eyelid. I tend to overblend my eyeshadow with this brush. My 226 and 222 allow me to blend my shadows a little better.

However, my major issue with this brush is that the other day, the ferrule separated from the brush. If I hadn't gotten it from the MAC counter, I would question whether the brush is authentic. I've only had the brush for about 8 months...so I don't know what the issue is. I've had other MAC brushes for 8 years, and I've never had an issue with a loose/separated ferrule. Maybe I just got a bad brush with this one. Regardless, I spent too much money for me to have an issue with the ferrule- especially, this early on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2012 9:06:00 PM More reviews by anjelykah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

My experience with the 224 is similar to that of the 217 blending brush. I was hesitant to purchase both brushes since I figured that I did not need 2 blending brushes. However, I am glad that I did! Since the bristles of the 217 are more tightly packed, it deposits more color. However when you just want to blend, blend, blend...the 224 will be your best friend and it will not allow you to leave the house with harsh eye shadow lines.

Something that I picked up from Emilynoel from youtube is the use of a mauve/cranberry color right above the crease to give a dark smokey eye some warmth. Enter the 224, I lightly dip the brush in MAC's cranberry, NYX's Burgundy Pearl or the cranberry color from the ELF day to night quad and do the back and forth windshield wiper motion slightly above the crease and ta da! Smokey eye with some warmth!

I also like to use it to set powder over my under eye concealer. As also with the 217, I only wish is that it would be a little softer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2012 9:00:00 PM More reviews by swtlilqtk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Whereas I personally do not "love" this brush as a blender for shadow I DO love it for my concealer! I use Select Cover Up and Prolongwear under my eyes, depending on the day, and I use this brush to blend out either one. Instead of giving a cakey, heavy made up appearance this gives an airbrush look. Just put a lil concealer on the back of you hand take the brush and pick up the product. I start on the inner corner doing small, circular motions until the product is completely is completely blended out. This does for your concealer what a 130 would do for your foudation. If you use any sort of heavy coverage concealer you NEED to get this brush to avoid a cakey look but still get the great coverage you desire. I like how gentle it is for my undereye area too....no pulling or tugging upon application! Sometimes when Im feeling super fancy I use it to apply eyecream and it gives a nice soothing effect. Great change to a standard, flat concealer brush, and def worth trying yourself if you haven't yet.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2012 11:49:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I love this brush! I can't do my eye shadow without now : )

Just makes blending out a dream, making my eye shadow application a no-stress job. LOVE and highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2012 9:51:00 PM More reviews by Dlrainer

Part of my makeup kit! Love this brush!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2012 11:53:00 AM More reviews by macbrushsets

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I need this type of brush model maybe MAC 168. For expert application of cheek contour. This brush is a large angled contour - the fibres form a buffed edge and are soft and firmly bundled. MAC professional brushes are hand-sculpted and assembled using the finest quality materials. They feature wood handles and nickel-plated brass ferrules. macbrushset.com write this about model 168

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I use it for blending eye shadow. Works well for me! (I use the 239 for application.)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2012 5:49:00 PM More reviews by sarahmarie86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I own pretty much all the MAC brushes and I must say that this brush gets the least use out of all of them. Wish I would have spent the $30 on something else. The brush sheds and it is incredibly scratchy on my eyelids. It doesn't blend well nor does it apply color to the crease to my liking. I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the 217 to this brush. Save your money.

Edit: I discovered this brush is great for applying under eye concealer, so it's not a total failure... but I'm sure there are cheaper brushes that would work just as well. Not to mention, when you use it for this the brush does shed, and it's pretty annoying trying to get the shed brush hair out of your concealer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2012 9:03:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

A 5 for face product blending, a 3 for eye makeup blending. I have monolid creaseless Asian eyes and prefer smaller brushes like the 239 or the MUFE 17S on my lids. The 224 was too soft and splayed too much, overblending shadows beyond where I wanted, since my lidspace is so limited, lol! But for concealer blending, this is a GREAT brush. Soft enough to use anywhere on your face (no scratchiness here) and blends base products smoothly and invisibly. A good brush for my collection overall.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by jacrodriguez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a versatile brush. I used it first as a Blending Brush for eyeshadows, which it was originally meant to do, but then I discovered Nars blending brush 13 which is way better in shape, size, quality and softness. But this one did not go to waste. This is a good brush and I use it now for application and blending my concealer on my under eyes, redness and blemishes (which gives the best and most natural coverage), dusting powder to seal the concealer where I placed it, applying bronzer on my inner brow bone to the sides of my nose for contouring and removing flakes of mascara or droppings of eyeshadow on my face. So I love it.