April 19, 2014 | 1652 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 224 Tapered Blending (Windshield Wiper) Brush

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2012 5:49:00 PM More reviews by sarahmarie86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I own pretty much all the MAC brushes and I must say that this brush gets the least use out of all of them. Wish I would have spent the $30 on something else. The brush sheds and it is incredibly scratchy on my eyelids. It doesn't blend well nor does it apply color to the crease to my liking. I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the 217 to this brush. Save your money.

Edit: I discovered this brush is great for applying under eye concealer, so it's not a total failure... but I'm sure there are cheaper brushes that would work just as well. Not to mention, when you use it for this the brush does shed, and it's pretty annoying trying to get the shed brush hair out of your concealer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2012 9:03:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

A 5 for face product blending, a 3 for eye makeup blending. I have monolid creaseless Asian eyes and prefer smaller brushes like the 239 or the MUFE 17S on my lids. The 224 was too soft and splayed too much, overblending shadows beyond where I wanted, since my lidspace is so limited, lol! But for concealer blending, this is a GREAT brush. Soft enough to use anywhere on your face (no scratchiness here) and blends base products smoothly and invisibly. A good brush for my collection overall.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2012 11:04:00 AM More reviews by jacrodriguez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a versatile brush. I used it first as a Blending Brush for eyeshadows, which it was originally meant to do, but then I discovered Nars blending brush 13 which is way better in shape, size, quality and softness. But this one did not go to waste. This is a good brush and I use it now for application and blending my concealer on my under eyes, redness and blemishes (which gives the best and most natural coverage), dusting powder to seal the concealer where I placed it, applying bronzer on my inner brow bone to the sides of my nose for contouring and removing flakes of mascara or droppings of eyeshadow on my face. So I love it.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/26/2012 1:05:00 PM More reviews by Redbone21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I hated this brush at first because the first day I used this brush it shedded. Over time it did stop. I like this for blending my concealer. This is my first and last MAC brush because I feel like I could've gotten a brush like this for less than $30 that doesn't shed. But at least I can say I tried it. To each its own. Over all this is a good brush though

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2012 5:43:00 PM More reviews by sheridingdong

This is another winning brush from MAC. I was recommended this brush over the 217 for blending by one of their SAs..so glad I listened to her and didn't just get the 217 like I planned. This blends like a dreammmm! Any color, even if it's difficult to work with can be easily blended out with this baby. I have rather small lid space but bigger eyes and this brush is easy to handle around my small lid area. It never strays to places I don't want it to and it's very easy to control. I like that the bristles are natural and I've never had any shedding. It can be a bit scratchy, but I'll definitely take that with how great this blends. Awesome awesome brush, makes such a difference in my eye makeup. Everything is just blended so subtly and never gets muddy looking or too toned down.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 5:46:00 PM More reviews by solidcake

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My favourite blending brush. I love my 217, yes, but this brush is the one I would choose if I could only have one. You can use it with nothing on it to fix up an eyeshadow mishap, or use it to fluff out colour around the crease. I also use it for contouring. Love it. You can literally blend out anything with this thing. I use it every day.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2012 5:08:00 PM More reviews by mariannepilgaard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my absolute favourite blending brush. Reading the reviews on MUA many seem to favour 217, but I find it much easier to get a subtle blend with 224, mainly due to the shape and because the bristles are longer. This brush is also great if you want to lay a sheer wash of colour all over the lid.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2012 12:43:00 AM More reviews by feveragnes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

MAC 224 is a fluffy blush for blending eye shadows, but I tend to use it to contour my nose and highlight my brow bones and cheekbones. It takes up a light amount of powder evenly and give a very sheer coverage to my skin. I think using this for blending eye shadows on my crease make my eyes look a bit muddy, so I prefer MAC 217 for this job.

I agree that this blush is a bit coarse, but still acceptable and feels very soft. Besides, it does sheds a bit here and there, but nothing too annoying. It works well for me on shading my nose, but other than that it's replaceable.

Bristles: 4/5
shape: 5/5
versatility: 4/5
application: 5/5
price: 4/5

Overall: 4.4/5

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2012 3:14:00 AM More reviews by kimorris

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I mostly use this brush to apply a light dusting of powder over areas where I've used concealer. It does this well enough, but there's not much about its performance that stands out. I find the bristles quite coarse and hard and although the handle of the brush looks high end, I think the quality of the bristles lets this down.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2012 5:10:00 AM More reviews by annasandler

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Possibly my favourite brush for blending eyeshadow and correcting any errors. It's the perfect soft/ firmness balance and creates a lovely blended out effect. I prefer subtle eyeshadow and makeup looks and this brush is faultless for that.