Bobbi Brown Pale Yellow Loose Powder

3.7

on 12/7/2008 4:36:00 PM

Alright, I have been waiting to review this powder. My skin can get pretty oily and I perspire quite a bit during the day. I'm fair enough to where it has been recommended I use the white powder and I have *very lightly* from time to time. And it is just like this powder, it must be used *very sparingly* or else I get a sallow tone to my skin. All in all, I think it helps one not to pile on the powder. It does liven up my skin ever so slightly without looking obvious like almost all bronzer does. Even if I go light handed with them, they are almost always noticeable, especially if my white arms are not covered. For reference I am currently using MUFE camoflage cream in the tube in 04, MAC NW20ish, although I think other brands make better shades for my skintone. I have also used KA SX03 and SX05, Becca Praline or Latte. I tend to look pink in comparison to most people, so the yellow really appeals to me. I've been told numerous times to go with more neutral, but being very light handed with this works, especially if a sunscreen is a physical one and lends an ever so slight white cast to my skin.

As for texture, it is really fine powder. I like how it controls oil, even a dusting of it. Very sheer and imperceptible. And just like any powder, translucent or otherwise, I have to practice restraint or I tend to feel like Dita Von Teese looks sometimes. I'd rather go toward more warm than fright-night-white-face. Girlfriend needs to practice some restraint with the white/translucent powder.

on 11/6/2008 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I like this product because it kind of goes unnoticed in my makeup collection but i'm constantly surprised how often i reach for it for some purpose or another. setting conceler before foundation? perfection. toning down too much blush or brozer? perfection. Absorbing oil late in the day? perfection. before i knew it my original was out and i was back buying more. It lasts a long time because i don't need to use it everyday but I'm definitely glad i have it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I used this in conjuntion with the oil free compact foundation - which i love by the way. I use a 10x magnifying mirror to apply my makeup . i also have combination oily/dry/flaky in places acne prone skin with a rough texture. my skin looks great when i use the foundation and corrector and concealor for eye area. when i applied the powder , even sparingly, it looked horrible. it accentuated every flaw - lines, texture, flakes, and completely ruined whatever effect the foundation had in the first place. it didn't look yellow, just obvious i was wearing a power - will return asap
if i can find a nice translucent powder that sets my makeup without ruining it altogether i'll try that...

on 9/17/2008 6:47:00 PM

I bought this specifically to set my under-eye concealer and am really pleased with it. I use BB Corrector in Light Peach (I don't use the BB concealer on top of the corrector because the light peach works great for me as is without adding another layer) and then, using a small fluffy brush that I reserve specifically for this function, I dust a tiny, and I mean tiny, amount of this powder under my eyes as I look up into the mirror. I find that my under-eye circles are mostly covered and it stays all day with very little gravitation into my tiny lines. I do the same thing all over my face after all my makeup is on but again the emphasis is on using a very sheer layer. I put my powder brush onto the powder that adheres to the lid of the container, tap it off and the brush it all over my face. That's it. I don't go back for seconds and I don't touch up during the day. My skin looks smooth, not matte, but also not oily and that makes me happy. If I need to get rid of extra oil later in the day I blot instead of reapplying powder so that I don't end up looking cakey.

I use so little of this every day so I can't imagine having to repurchase it for a very long time but I would in a minute because I think it works great. I also tried Sally Hansen 'Inspired by Carmindy' yellow powder and it is just not the same and it ended up in the trash.

I would add though that this container doesn't travel well because so much powder ends up going through the sifter en route. So, when I get to my destination, I end up with 50% of the powder above the sifter and have to take the plastic sifter off and dump the powder back into the container. I find this annoying but I like the product well enough to put up with it. I never thought I had yellow undertones because I was always told that cool colors look best on me but this powder works for me and so I will continue to use it.

on 8/7/2008 12:06:00 PM

I am a neutral to cool-toned PPP (NW10-15) with mild Rosacea. I don't wear much foundation, but do rely on loose powder to reduce SS shine, provide pinkness neutralization around my upper cheeks, and to create a matte surface for blushes when I wear them. I've tried other powders but invariably find them too dark or worse, too beige. I've had good luck with Trish McEvoy's Even Skin Loose Finishing Powder, but sometimes tire of the porcelain effect. BB's Pale Yellow powder is a bit darker and yellower than my skintone, but--when used with a light hand--it can work quite well. I can't speak to the effect on other PPP skin, but this particular shade has the potential to bring out whatever underlying neutral or warm undertones (mainly pale olive and golden), I have. If you have neutral to cool toned skin, you might find the same. The result is an evening out of skintone and reduction in pinkness that is much more natural and flattering, on my skin, than beige-toned powders. I've also noticed that Pale Yellow photographs well, probably because it neutralizes pink (which tends to get hyper-focused in film). Sometimes, this powder *can* appear too dark on me, but if I use a light hand, this can usually be avoided. Shade considerations aside, the powder is light, mattifies my oily SS well, comes in a sleek black container with an easily removable lid, and is stable enough to toss in one's bag without concern. I should mention that my skin is dry, so I can't speak to whether this powder could cause breakouts in the acne-prone. My skin is also quite sensitive, and I suspect I have a Bismuth allergy, (Bismuth is listed toward the end of the ingredient list.) However, according to Paula Begoun, Bismuth is often problematic only when it exists as a primary ingredient--as it does in many popular brands of mineral makeup. Suffice it to say, I have always found this powder extremely gentle and comfortable to wear. UPDATE: Although I still love this powder, it's become too dark for my pale winter skin. I now use La Mer Translucent. UPDATE 11/2010: I now go between using La Mer powder and this one. This shade continues to work for me most of the year when used *sparingly*--and is particularly helpful to wear over an otherwise whitening sunscreen. If I were a hair darker, I suspect the Pale yellow would be perfect, indeed. As it is, these two powders each perform a function and are the best I have found.

on 4/5/2008 4:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I don't like this powder. It is too yellow even with my yellow undertoned skin. No matter how I applied it, it just sat on the top of my foundation. I saw a sheen of bright yellow! I ended up put it in the trash can. I love Bobbi's products. But not this. What a shame!

on 3/23/2008 12:19:00 PM

I have combination skin and am trying to avoid using too much makeup. What this loose powder has done for me is to provide an overall sheer finish. I use it after concealing my dark eyerings and the powder doesn't cake on top of the concealer. I do not consider it expensive given that it is not a drug store brand. However, it would be good that Bobbi Brown adds in a sponge applicator to the pot itself.
www.kimmiethedog.blogspot.com

on 3/7/2008 12:09:00 PM

I don't like this. I have ultra-combination skin (can be very dry and flaky, oily and break-out prone, or both) and this just sat on top of my skin, doing little to mattify the oily parts and highlighting the uneven texture and dryness/flakiness of the dry parts. After about an hour, I get major oil breakthrough and my skin ends up looking both greasy and dull--lovely.

The texture is very fine, but that is mostly because the first ingredient is talc. So the powder is very soft and light, but it's also too dull for my taste and doesn't have the nice 'creamy' feeling that ultra-ultra finely-milled powders do. So it doesn't offer coverage or keep the oilies away, makes my skin look dull and dry and make-up-y, and has a tendency to fly around when I apply it, wasting product and making me breathe questionable talc into my lungs. This is overpriced for what it does. I think even L'Oreal's Translucide powder is better than this in terms of oil-control and blurring imperfections. NYC's loose powder provides better coverage and looks more natural at like 1/10 the price. Thumbs down. continued >>

on 10/12/2007 1:48:00 AM

a little too expensive for how underwhelmingly it delivers. i mean, it's a pretty good powder, and i actually really love the yellow. but it tends to go on chalky, and it's not as finely milled as i'd like it to be. the only way i will repurchase this is if it suddenly drops to half its current price.

on 9/30/2007 12:44:00 PM

This powder feels light on my skin, looks natural and sets my foundation to make it longer wearing. The colour is perfect for me (I am NW20 in MAC or sand in BB). This photographs really well.

UPDATE: Now that I have experimented with other powders I have realised that although I still like this it is not as finely milled as other powders and I prefer MUFE supermatte powder now which is more natural looking.