November 26, 2014 | 1735 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Eye Basics

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 3:37:00 AM More reviews by laurall

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product, the shades and the packaging. It looks lovely when you apply it, and offers a great canvas for your eyeshadow. I have it in Linen, and it brightens up my eyelid beautifully. It went for a lighter colour than the colour of my skin (I have brown discolouration around my eyes). The SA initially matched me to the Wheat shade, saying that LM always recommends the same shade as the skin, but I had to return it and get Linen because Wheat was too dark and not brightening enough. Should have followed my instincts and not have listened to her!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2011 1:36:00 PM More reviews by ImYourFavoriteDrug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

This is pretty good if I don't use too much of it. It cakes if you use too much! Doesn't irritate my eyes, and creates a blank canvas. I have it in "Linen". I'm very fair. This makes colors show true.

EDIT: I'm bumping this down to a three. I do think that it should earn 3 1/2 lippies, though. The product only keeps my eyeshadows vibrant for about 6 hours before creasing. In the cooler seasons it keeps my shadow on for a while but I can't wear it in the summer because of the creasing.

Important Tip: I can't apply the sponge directly to my eye or else it applies flaky. I like to warm up the product on the back of my hand with a stiff brush and the application is MUCH improved.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2010 11:02:00 AM More reviews by LadyPenelope

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am in agreement with most who say this is an excellent primer, but I'm writing a review to warn people that this is really not intended as a concealer. It is much too dry and drying. I put it on this morning and am regretting it, it's made the skin under my eyes even more crepey than usual.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2010 1:36:00 AM More reviews by jellis1982

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Best eye primer ever hands down! I've tried a lot and this one keeps my shadows true, brightens my eye, and keeps the shadows on and from creasing. It needs to be applied with a cream shadow or concealer brush though, the wand is not that efficient. It also hides the tiny veins seen in the thin skin of the eyelids. I can see why this is a Neiman Marcus fave!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2010 1:19:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Can be used either as a stand-alone eye concealer/colour neutralizer, or as a base for eyeshadow. I'm using it as the former in the whole eye area--eyelid, browbone especially by the nose, and corner of undereye. I'm using Linen, a pink-toned light nude (I'm pale). Of the other available shades, Cotton is a very pale lemon, Eyebright pale blue, Wheat very slightly deeper than Linen but more beige-toned, and there are three deeper tones.

A fluid-cream that applies easily but sets fast; zero oxidation, colour stays true, some sheen--in a bright-eyed bushy-tailed way--but neither greasiness nor shininess nor glitter. No creasing, or drying and caking. Simply makes my eyelids look more even, in a pseudo-natural way: cancelling out blood-vessels, freckles, other unevenness; I have very thin skin, so the blood vessels do stand out.

Application: I dab the doe's foot onto back of (clean) hand then onto eyelid from there, using a (clean) finger.

[UPDATE: 06/2010] I also use this over blue shadows in the corner under the eye by the nose: it's at least as good as anything else I've used there, in terms of smoothing out discolouration, without either drying it out or greasing it up, not settling into and emphasizing lines, not leading to clogging/zits in the under-eye area. The texture's easier and faster to work with in that area than more solid pasty concealers; and call me unorthodox, but the colour works better than one of those salmony ones. Avoid area directly under the eye, though: in my experience the only thing that looks OK and doesn't end up emphasizing wee lines is Clarins eye sunscreen. For undereyes that are more fully over to the dark side, or where there is more serious baggage, apply something else/extra beforehand.

Costs CAD 27.00 for 5.1g, which isn't too bad considering how long this should last, and reasonable compared to other department-store eye concealers. And a good deal if it works for the undereye too, reducing the need for another one or two extra concealers (or at least, while I'm not throwing my others out, I can let them retire gracefully to the back of a drawer and won't be repurchasing them). Fragrance-free and cruelty-free.

INGREDIENTS: Isododecane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Cera Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera Wax), Ozokerite, Talc, Lanolin Acid, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Propylene Carbonate, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Isopropyl Myristate, Propylparaben, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Euphrasia Officinalis Extract, Centaurea Cyanus Flower Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract. (+/-): CI 77019 (Mica), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77510 (Ferric Ferrocyanide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride). continued >>

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2010 9:21:00 PM More reviews by alphabetpony

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product is probably not for everyone, it's expensive and will not work on oily eyelids. For me it does the job of creating a blank canvas and a long lasting eye makeup. I see a huge difference when wearing this under my eye shadows and for those who experience snow storms where they live this will save your eye makeup! For reference I use the colour Cotton which is a porcelain coulour.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2009 2:17:00 PM More reviews by JahLive15

The day I bought UD's PP, I received this as a sample from Sephora. When I ran out of the PP (which was much sooner than I expected), I turned to this because I didn't feel like dropping more money on the PP when it didn't seem to last very long. Well, I then turned to my sample of "Eye Bright," a pale blue base that is supposed to brighten your eyes in addition to acting as a primer. It absolutely does both! In addition, I walk to and from campus (in hot, humid Texas) and any shadow I wear over the Eye Bright stays perfectly in place throughout the day (UD's PP on the other hand gave up midway through the day). The Sephora sample lasted a good amount of time and I've only recently purchased the full-sized product (hence, I can't comment on it drying out, though the sample didn't). I'd rather pay the extra money for this than UD's PP because THIS product actually works all day and performs double duty as a brightener as well. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2009 10:15:00 AM More reviews by candy_hunter

I've been using this since 2006, I've repurchased three times , and I'm loving it. It evens out my eyelids' skin tone, and keeps eye makeup in place for 12 hours. Make sure you don't over apply, a thin layer is all you need. Apply too much and your makeup will crease. Oh yea, use your fingers to dab on this product for best results. Some BAs will tell you to use it with one of their creme eye color brush, but that's just because they want you to buy more. I will keep repurchasing this as long as Laura Mercier still makes it. Of course there's room for improvement, make this a tube, the wand is completely useless.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2009 12:47:00 PM More reviews by jungleberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this in 'Eyebright' (the blue colour). It's supposed to brighten your eyes. I use this only on my top lid (the inner corner, on top, and the outer corner) and it I love it. Makes my eyes look wide open without leaving that obvious white halo around your eyes that some products can do.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2009 9:19:00 PM More reviews by pocky

I got Flax, which was a perfect pearly light beige. Wheat seems to be the most popular shade but it's a little too pink for me. Flax neutralized the ruddiness in my lids. I'm not sure what this product is. Primer? Shadow? Application is little tricky. The consistency of this product is very thin. It's not even as thick as a watery lip gloss. What I have to do is swipe onto my finger and dab onto my lids. The product applies very sheer at first but it becomes more opaque as it dries and gives a very nice coverage.

The was in love the first day I wore Flax. The neutral color not only neutralized my ruddy lids but also gave me a lovely, bright canvas for powder shadow. My eye makeup lasted for 9 hours without creasing. That particular day was cool and dry and I usually wear my makeup anywhere from 12 to 16 hours so I tested Flax over the course of a week and I am very dissapointed.

Not only does this product crease on me, it also dried out my lids and irritated my eyes. I could not wear this over my TFSI or UDPP because it ends up looking like spackle. The skin on my lids is dry but I have freakishly oily an sweaty creases. Eye Basics exacerbated both problems. I also had some itchiness and irritation around the rims of my eyes. Not sure what caused this since I was also using a new shadow but my money is on Eye Basics. My lids were in such bad shape--itchy, dry, red--that I had to lay off eye makeup for a few days.

I'm very sad that this product did not work for me because that first day was love like I hadn't felt for makeup in a long, long time.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No