December 18, 2014 | 1657 users online

Self Tanners - Bare Escentuals - Faux Tan

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2012 10:56:00 AM More reviews by carmenle22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It give a great color and last for week or long depending on activities. my complaints are:
does streak so buy a mitten to apply properly.
odd fragrance
expensive for the amount of the package.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2012 10:47:00 AM More reviews by theticketybee

To give you an idea of who I am:
I'm very pale, blonde and blue eyes, I buy 'ivory' foundations, I have freckles and I burn very quickly and easily.

What I thought of this self tanner:
I've read a variety of reviews on this product so I bought the small size for 12, which is pretty expensive for the size, I feel. I can find products half the price with more product. However, due to the consistency and strength of the product, I think it will go quite a long way.

I have just tried it on my arms because i wanted to see how it turned out before I went full body! Because I bought a small size it didn't come with the buffer brush, which I may actually invest in. So, I opened it and it smelt good - literally like marzipan. No overwhelming alcohol smell like the Garnier gel one that I've used for a few months. It was very dark brown which is nice because you can use it as a guide. When I put it on my arm it seemed surprisingly light - it wasn't as strong as those instant/wash-off tans, but the colour was there to use as a guide. After maybe half an hour it smelt like marzipan a bit, and suntan lotion.

It's been about three hours now and I haven't washed it off yet. It literally looks like I'm a St Tropez model (minus the amazing body :( haha!). My arms have gone a rich brown, like I've been tanning for days on the beach. In some lights there is a slight orange tint but it's only in certain places so I think I may have not exfoliated well enough/ applied it well enough (e.g. on my elbows and my hands) and I don't think that's a fault of the product. It has inevitably developed the fake-tan smell and the marzipan smell is gone, the sun tan smell lingers a little. Despite the fake-tan smell, it's not ridiculously bad and making me want to die but I think I wouldn't apply this in the day and just go out like their blurb seems to suggest you can.

I think because there is such a dramatic colour increase and I'm very pale, I'll be mixing it with moisturiser and building it up gradually, so I look more sun-kissed than sun-slave. This also means it'll go twice as far!

Just my personal opinion hope it helps :)

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2012 7:50:00 AM More reviews by briannaAMx0

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

All you people keep saying it turned you orange so don't over do it and that you won't buy it again.

........................... How about YOU don't over do it that way you DON'T turn orange?! AND you can continue to use the bottle you paid 25 dollars for!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2012 6:44:00 PM More reviews by PISALISA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I bought a smaller size (4oz) of this tanner and it cost about $23.00. I think the price is exorbitant for what you get in results.
THE PROS:
1) Extremely smooth and easy to apply
2) Very nice almond/cherry scent
3) The tan is a realistic brown shade...NO ORANGE!

THE CONS:
1) THE PRICE!!!
2) The tan is very light
3) I had some streaking. This never happens to me because I take precautions!

All in all, it gives great color. This tanner would be ideal for winter time because it's not very dark. For the price, I expected better results. I'm on the fence about re-purchasing because you really do not get a lot of product for $23.00. Also, to achieve a medium/dark tan, I would have to apply at least two or three days in a row. That's too much of a pain in the rump for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2012 3:37:00 PM More reviews by aqelvis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have used this for the past several years now, and I love it.....I can even put it on in the morning, wait a few hours, buff with a dry towel, and go out....then I look even darker with the first application.....just don't try this if it is really hot or humid....when you do shower it, alot of color does come off, but with second or third application, it looks really deep and natural. I love the brush that comes with it, but use gloves for all of body, and use the brush for hands and feet so I can keep from getting a cut off line- only one my husband does not complain about....then in between I use either L'oreal Sublime gradual tanner, or Jergens- that way, I don't have to use it too often- buy it in large size at QVC, and it will last a year, and it doesn't seem to turn green like alot of other brands.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2012 1:39:00 AM More reviews by KatieLuvsLife1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I uploaded a picture of myself after using this product (check above pics!)... this faux tan provides the perfect color!! I have tried so many things, and this is the first one to actually work the way it's suppose to. I love this! In the picture I only applied it to my face and neck, and collarbone area, leaving my boobs white so you can see the difference between the color before and after (boobs are the color my face used to be). This stuff is AMAZING, it's the only self tanner i will use from now on for sure. No streaks, no mess, i used cheap gloves you can buy at your local Sally Beauty to keep my hands clean. The color lasts weeks, I'm not even kidding! So great color, easy application, lasts a long time..now to the kinda bad part. I did break out. After maybe 3 weeks after i applied it i eventually had a little break out around my temples and chin. But honestly i didn't mind, considering the color allowed me to look bronze and glowing for my whole vacation in San Diego! I will definitely re-purchase and i recommend this to all my friends who are looking for a great self-tanner. Thanks for reading my review and i hope it works for you as well as i did for me :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 7:50:00 AM More reviews by mrrelle

One of the best self-tanners I have ever used. Makes my skin look like an actual tan. The smell isn't awful, it's pretty tolerable compared to others. The cost to me is reasonable even though it is a high end product but the results are worth the money. I would definitely repurchase again.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2012 7:26:00 PM More reviews by phoebe9797

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Agree with the last review completely. This tanner is a little over hyped. When I got it i thought I was going to be much more impressed. I mainly bought it because my partner cant stand the smell of tanner and I thought this wouldn't have a smell. It does, of course. Every tanner does as its developing. Once the almond scent (which isn't that pleasant anyway) dissipates you have biscuit.

The color is descent, but I have overused it, and you do turn orange. I dont think that there is a great big difference between fake tans- its probably similar to st. tropez- but you need to use them all sparingly I guess. I wish this tanner developed a little faster.

Overall, nothing to be amazed with. Yes, its a good tanner but its not revolutionary. You still get the orangeness and the biscuit smell, and it doesnt last too long. I probably wont rebuy. I still prefer st Tropez.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2012 6:47:00 AM More reviews by ekatt

Eh, it's okay. A little too hyped up. I started using it twice a week and I thought I was a sun goddess, being the only tan one on my college campus. However, my friend pointed out to me that I looked orange one day. I was so pissed. I was bragging about being tan "Omg, look how tan I look" ;) and my friend was like "Sure..". And I was like what? She was like "You look orange!".
So it smells nice and is very simple to put on and it does get you a healthy color, but you can't over do it! Because you will look orange. Just saying. I have yet to find a natural self tanner.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/10/2012 1:33:00 AM More reviews by madi1993

Ok... So when I purchased this over summer (6 months ago) I was instantly IN LOVE with this product. However, it wasn't long until this product disappointed.
Let me start by saying that when you first apply this product, you will be jumping for joy! The colour guide is so olive and beautiful. BUT, when you shower after 8-12 hours, 75% of that colour goes straight down the drain.
So, you get back on the horse and apply a second coat of the product, again loving the colour that the guide leaves you with... 8-12 hours later, showered again... and it rinses off to a light-medium tan. Not orange but not overly olive/natural either.
And then, if your like me, you will probably attempt coat number 3.... which let me tell you right now, is a total disater zone. You will turn the colour of tandoori chicken!
I really wanted to love this and at first, I thought I did :( but unfortuonately i'm still on the hunt for my HG tanner! xx