October 1, 2014 | 1601 users online

Shampoo - LUSH - Trichomania bar

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by TheMoonBunny

My hair: fairly normal, wavy, brunette, damaged ends, sometimes problems w/ product buildup

Trichomania smells amazing and seemed good for nourishing my hair after a series of color jobs (the hair stylist screwed up... long story). It was good for about a few months, and then all hell broke loose. No matter how little I used, it would leave buildup in my hair, and it made my hair oilier. I started to look like Severus Snape, and I haven't looked like that since 6th grade!

PROS
--- lovely coconut smell (and it's strong in the shower, too!)
--- extremely moisturizing & probably ideal for folks with extremely dry hair
--- ideal for folks with dry hair damaged from over-processing (coloring, etc.)

CONS
--- leaves buildup in normal hair (like mine)
--- will easily disintegrate if water can pool around it
--- will easily disintegrate even if it's just been in a container for a while

Overall, I would only recommend this product to someone trying to fix their hair after overprocessing it. Otherwise, for folks with average dry hair, etc., I would just steer clear of this one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was my first ever shampoo bar. I was a bit bummed at first at the long time it took to thoroughly coat my hair (using the "rubbing the bar on the hair method") the first time I used it. However, the second time I went to use it a couple days later, after leaving it sit in one of the Lush storage tins, I found it softer and was able to "scoop" a bit our with my finger tips. It was more like a thick clay than a solid bar. I rubbed it between my hands with a bit of water, then applied to my thoroughly soaked hair. Dunked my head back under the water and it lathered perfectly.

I love the smell and, after rinsing, find it to be really cleansing. I've never tried it without conditioner, but, even when I use my normal cheap DS conditioner, my hair looks and feels better than normal, which I have to attribute to this shampoo. I would definitely repurchase, as this bar has lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/13/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by nicolalucie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like the smell of this product but I found it left my hair extremely heavy after using it. Not a huge fan so I don't think I'll be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2012 11:41:00 AM More reviews by lunalove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my first shampoo bar, but Ive been buying other LUSH products for years. I have long thick wavy hair that I dye every 2 months to cover my grays.
I tried LUSH big sea salt shampoo and it gave me dandruff every time I used it, so clearly that was way too drying for my hair. I then tried curly wurly which is very nice but takes a while for me to properly use and get those coconut pieces out of my hair.
Enter trichomania. I thoroughly wet my hair, rub the bar over my head a few times (as suggested, although I do this more like 5 times so I actually cover my head) and distribute it, dunk my head under the water, and then rub my hands over the bar to cover my hands to massage my scalp. I find that this, along with repeatedly massaging my head and dunking it under water gets a really good lather going (that sounds like a lot but it doesn't take more than 30 seconds). I was actually surprised at how much this lathered considering the saleslady said it was pretty much just coconut and really moisturizing.
I do NOT think that this eliminates the need for conditioner, at least not on my hair. I need my american cream conditioner after I rinse this out, and then I don't even have to use any other product (although if you're looking for one, I recommend R&B which I have been using, just because as I said I have very long thick wavy hair)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2012 12:27:00 PM More reviews by littlemj

Desert climate, Asian semi wavy, dry hair w/ oily scalp.

Tried this 5x, with the Jungle conditioner and w/ my regular Artec conditioner... hair was left extremely dry and frizzy. I am a walking fuzzball!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/29/2012 11:42:00 AM More reviews by alousek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This shampoo was recommended to me, when I was repurchasing my R&B balm at the Lush store. As this balm is a favourite of mine, it makes my dry curly hair look and feel very nice, I just bought Trichomania expecting it to do the same. It should be good for dry and frizzy hair and make it soft and moisturized.
So, expecting something amazing to happen, I took the shampoo bar into the shower. It absolutely didnít work for me. It was almost impossible for me to spread it into my long curly hair. It didnít foam at all. It was just sticking and with every move my hair got more and more tangled. When I thought my hair wash was done after 15min of doing what I could, I rinsed it of which was also difficult as it contains bits of coconut, that were just sticking inside of my curls. When the hair air dried (I always let it air dry, itís the best solution to keep my curls in place) it just looked and felt terrible like never before. It was half oily at the sculp and the ends were still tangled. I didnít use it again. My mother tried it too (also curly hair but only shoulders long) and she was facing the same problems.
The only positive aspect was the nice smell, but it is not enough unfortunately.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2012 2:38:00 PM More reviews by mountainwave

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried this bar as a travel shampoo, as I don't like carrying the weight of liquids in my one bag for three weeks or more style.
I use what is left at home, but don't buy it for home use. I use shampoos without sls at home.

I'm also very protective of my 42 inches of hair.
Specs on hair:
Dry ends, inclined to dry length, scalp likes to keep the sebum. No color/perm/straighteners. No heat use. Oiled daily on ends, every couple days on length.
Fairly straight.

Pros:
Scent does not seem to linger
Easy to transport
No plastic packaging
Cut from chunk/not preformed disc/ buy what you need
Not overly drying

Cons:
Graininess as other reviewers have described
Melts easily if left in shower spray, even momentarily (which is why the scraps in a bottle trick works, so also a pro)
Have to go to Lush shop
Pricey, but ability to buy smaller pieces can offset for travel use

Neat things to know:
I didn't buy a lush tin because I had a different one. Trico melts in a microwave and can be formed into patties to fit whatever you have. Tins from mints? Yep. Lip balm sticks? You betcha.
It is strong, so you can wash just your scalp.
Rich conditioners, with or without cones, help. Even bar forms!
Works as body bar in a pinch (seven days straight for me)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2012 11:06:00 AM More reviews by bleuday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh my, oh my. I am totally in love.

I bought a bar of this and the "Jungle" bar conditioner on my last trip to Lush. Wanted to try something new.

I may have stumbled on a Holy Grail. Say it ain't so ....

My hair hasn't looked this good in years. I've been using a slew of products, but nothing has come close to this combination, the Trichomania shampoo and the Jungle conditioner.

Yes, there is a learning curve to using these shampoo/conditioner bar items, but the results are so worth it. I wake up, and my hair looks AMAZING in the morning.

That hasn't happened in years.

I love the Lush philosophy, I love a simpler approach to beauty, and this combo with the tiniest of bit of R & B for leave in has completely changed my hair, no exaggeration.

Love, love, love, love, love .....

did I say I love this product?

rated 3 of 5 on 5/4/2012 7:40:00 PM More reviews by eeemmm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've wanted to try a shampoo bar for the longest time, and was so excited to get a Lush gift card for my birthday. I picked Trichomania up because I read that it was for dry scalp and dry hair. I love the smell of the dry bar...it's subtle, but rich and smells of coconut milk. I cut a medium piece of the bar and applied it to my wet hair. I'd recommend cutting enough to hold in your hand so you can lather well. My hair felt a little stripped after washing, but after drying, it was smooth. My scalp didn't feel any more moist than it did before, but I hope it'll help in the long run. The smell isn't as great on dried hair; there's a faint coconut water smell, definitely not as rich or milky smelling as the dry bar.
Although it's a nice product, I may start using this for my body/shaving because I find that my hair gets stuck in the bar and gets pulled out easily. I lost a lot less hair with a regular liquid shampoo.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/28/2011 4:21:00 PM More reviews by Younggrasshopa14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i love how this lathers and last quite a while. it's also qute a bit cheaper than the other shampoo bars. the smell is also great (coconuty). however, i actually find that this leaves my hair looking really fluffy, which defeats the purpose of this being a bar for people with frizzy hair. i find that godiva is better for this purpose. like the other shampoo bars, it falls apart easily and is inconvenient to store. I wouldn't purchase this again, but i would purchase other shampoo bars that Lush offers.