LUSH Trichomania bar

3.4

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearic Acid, Creamed Coconut (Cocos nucifera), Glyceryl Stearate & PEG-100 Stearate, Cocamide DEA, Soya Lecithin, Perfume, Vetivert Oil (Vetiveria zizanoides)

on 12/30/2012 2:27:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I received a small chunk of this as a sample in an online order, and after it lasted weeks I knew I had to order a full bar. I love this shampoo - not only does it make my dry, curly hair less frizzy, it has helped decrease my dandruff and lasts forever (my bar is still going strong after 8 months of use, without being stored in any sort of container). The coconut smell is really good without being overpowering. This doesn't lather, like many of the Lush shampoos, but lather doesn't have any connection to cleansing, so don't worry if you aren't getting a lot of suds. A couple swipes along my part are plenty for me to wash my hair. I do wish this was cut so that it could fit in the Lush shampoo tins, but I haven't had issues with it despite the less-than-ideal storage. The plus side is that if you buy in store you can decide how big of a chunk you want (similar to their soaps) so you can try a small bar before deciding on a bigger piece.

on 12/3/2012 6:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I saw this and lush and it smelled so goood, and it was for dry frizzy hair so I thought it, I brought a pretty large chunk of this as well. It's an okay shampoo but I have to use it twice or I get no lather at all ( maybe because I use a lot of products in my hair? ) I do it with most shampoos so I don't mind. It left my hair really nice and soft but still had to use a conditioner as my hair is dry and damaged. I noticed my scalp getting really itchy and my bf pointed out i had lots of little flakes of dandruff, I knew it was this so I stopped using it and they have gone. I also had the same problem with ultimate shine, I think my hair just doesn't like lush shampoos ): I reeeaaaally wanted to like this as well but I won't purchase it again.

on 11/9/2012 9:01:00 AM

I found it great to travel in small tupware - and a small piece been lasting so long 2 months and still not finished ... forever ...
Divine smell and cleans properly
then after starting the travels starting getting very musshy - which is ok now i just dip and take some with finger tips.

i do think makes my hair slightly heavier and with them slightly more oily - which i never experienced before - but nothing for me to panic about .

I dont know if i would buy it again cause in the end expect the little format and the good price i dont find it more practical then any other shampoos .

on 10/17/2012 10:32:00 PM

My hair: fairly normal, wavy, brunette, damaged ends, sometimes problems w/ product buildup

Trichomania smells amazing and seemed good for nourishing my hair after a series of color jobs (the hair stylist screwed up... long story). It was good for about a few months, and then all hell broke loose. No matter how little I used, it would leave buildup in my hair, and it made my hair oilier. I started to look like Severus Snape, and I haven't looked like that since 6th grade!

PROS
--- lovely coconut smell (and it's strong in the shower, too!)
--- extremely moisturizing & probably ideal for folks with extremely dry hair
--- ideal for folks with dry hair damaged from over-processing (coloring, etc.)

CONS
--- leaves buildup in normal hair (like mine)
--- will easily disintegrate if water can pool around it
--- will easily disintegrate even if it's just been in a container for a while

Overall, I would only recommend this product to someone trying to fix their hair after overprocessing it. Otherwise, for folks with average dry hair, etc., I would just steer clear of this one.

on 9/8/2012 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This was my first ever shampoo bar. I was a bit bummed at first at the long time it took to thoroughly coat my hair (using the "rubbing the bar on the hair method") the first time I used it. However, the second time I went to use it a couple days later, after leaving it sit in one of the Lush storage tins, I found it softer and was able to "scoop" a bit our with my finger tips. It was more like a thick clay than a solid bar. I rubbed it between my hands with a bit of water, then applied to my thoroughly soaked hair. Dunked my head back under the water and it lathered perfectly.

I love the smell and, after rinsing, find it to be really cleansing. I've never tried it without conditioner, but, even when I use my normal cheap DS conditioner, my hair looks and feels better than normal, which I have to attribute to this shampoo. I would definitely repurchase, as this bar has lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.

on 8/13/2012 4:29:00 PM

I like the smell of this product but I found it left my hair extremely heavy after using it. Not a huge fan so I don't think I'll be repurchasing.

on 7/16/2012 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This is my first shampoo bar, but Ive been buying other LUSH products for years. I have long thick wavy hair that I dye every 2 months to cover my grays.
I tried LUSH big sea salt shampoo and it gave me dandruff every time I used it, so clearly that was way too drying for my hair. I then tried curly wurly which is very nice but takes a while for me to properly use and get those coconut pieces out of my hair.
Enter trichomania. I thoroughly wet my hair, rub the bar over my head a few times (as suggested, although I do this more like 5 times so I actually cover my head) and distribute it, dunk my head under the water, and then rub my hands over the bar to cover my hands to massage my scalp. I find that this, along with repeatedly massaging my head and dunking it under water gets a really good lather going (that sounds like a lot but it doesn't take more than 30 seconds). I was actually surprised at how much this lathered considering the saleslady said it was pretty much just coconut and really moisturizing.
I do NOT think that this eliminates the need for conditioner, at least not on my hair. I need my american cream conditioner after I rinse this out, and then I don't even have to use any other product (although if you're looking for one, I recommend R&B which I have been using, just because as I said I have very long thick wavy hair)

on 6/30/2012 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Desert climate, Asian semi wavy, dry hair w/ oily scalp.

Tried this 5x, with the Jungle conditioner and w/ my regular Artec conditioner... hair was left extremely dry and frizzy. I am a walking fuzzball!

on 6/29/2012 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This shampoo was recommended to me, when I was repurchasing my R&B balm at the Lush store. As this balm is a favourite of mine, it makes my dry curly hair look and feel very nice, I just bought Trichomania expecting it to do the same. It should be good for dry and frizzy hair and make it soft and moisturized.
So, expecting something amazing to happen, I took the shampoo bar into the shower. It absolutely didnít work for me. It was almost impossible for me to spread it into my long curly hair. It didnít foam at all. It was just sticking and with every move my hair got more and more tangled. When I thought my hair wash was done after 15min of doing what I could, I rinsed it of which was also difficult as it contains bits of coconut, that were just sticking inside of my curls. When the hair air dried (I always let it air dry, itís the best solution to keep my curls in place) it just looked and felt terrible like never before. It was half oily at the sculp and the ends were still tangled. I didnít use it again. My mother tried it too (also curly hair but only shoulders long) and she was facing the same problems.
The only positive aspect was the nice smell, but it is not enough unfortunately.

I tried this bar as a travel shampoo, as I don't like carrying the weight of liquids in my one bag for three weeks or more style.
I use what is left at home, but don't buy it for home use. I use shampoos without sls at home.

I'm also very protective of my 42 inches of hair.
Specs on hair:
Dry ends, inclined to dry length, scalp likes to keep the sebum. No color/perm/straighteners. No heat use. Oiled daily on ends, every couple days on length.
Fairly straight.

Pros:
Scent does not seem to linger
Easy to transport
No plastic packaging
Cut from chunk/not preformed disc/ buy what you need
Not overly drying

Cons:
Graininess as other reviewers have described
Melts easily if left in shower spray, even momentarily (which is why the scraps in a bottle trick works, so also a pro)
Have to go to Lush shop
Pricey, but ability to buy smaller pieces can offset for travel use

Neat things to know:
I didn't buy a lush tin because I had a different one. Trico melts in a microwave and can be formed into patties to fit whatever you have. Tins from mints? Yep. Lip balm sticks? You betcha.
It is strong, so you can wash just your scalp.
Rich conditioners, with or without cones, help. Even bar forms!
Works as body bar in a pinch (seven days straight for me)

Popular Shampoos