Mario Badescu silver powder

3.8

Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide 5/20/09

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I just bought this today so I will try to update later. I have large pores and pesky blackheads on my nose that I can never get rid of because they seem too deep. I figured I'd give this a try based on great reviews. I used as directed and people aren't lying when they say a little goes a long way. I let it dry for 15 minutes and removed with toner (as directed) and then washed my face regularly since many people said it was difficult to remove. I noticed a small change, but not the miracle I was hoping for. Lots of people mentioned how well it worked in conjunction with pore strips but those have never worked for me so I decided to try simple extraction with a steel comedone extractor which, by the way, has never worked for me before - the blackheads were just too deep. I was amazed at all the gook I pulled out of my pores! I extracted all along my nose and cheeks and I'd have to say my pores are 80-90% clearer. I will continue to use this to pull these blackheads to the surface and I'm glad I found it. I can't say whether or not I would buy it again because I would imagine this container will last more than a year. and I'll see what my skin looks like then.

on 10/20/2012 8:31:00 PM

I give this a 4/5 because it does work, but not as a blackhead removal tool, and it's a pain to clean off my face. I use it on my whole face (not just nose and chin where my blackheads are most prominent) as a drying agent instead of as a blackhead remover. My acne is noticeably smaller and less red the day after I use it. I try to use it once a week and follow up with a good exfoliation the next morning to get rid of any lingering 'whiteface' from the powder because it's difficult to remove. I've never followed up with a biore pore strip to see how effective it is at pulling out blackheads because I've got large sebaceous glands so my pores look big regardless of what products I use on them.

It would be a 5/5 for me if it wasn't so difficult to remove. My acne is dried out but my face doesn't feel dry or flakey.

on 10/11/2012 11:03:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I am surprised at the cost everyone mentioned here. I bought mine for SGD58 at sephora! (about USD47)

I noticed my clogged pores and whiteheads reduced after 1 use. I dislike the package and the product is very hard to remove. I went through a lot of toner and cotton pads, and I can still see tiny bits of the powder in my pores! I used a korean pore brush to get them all out.

UPDATE: I found an excellent way to remove the powder after using toner on cotton pads. I pat my face dry, and use Ginvera Marvel gel or CURE Aqua Natural gel to remove all the bits of powder & gunk in my pores. They all came out easily without the need of scrubbing & tugging my skin. These are gels which bind with dirt and gunk on the skin and turn into white bits which can be washed off easily. :) try it!!

on 9/5/2012 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

this along with glycolic gel has been a godsend for my black heads and clogged pores. I credit these 2 products to finally getting my skin in near perfect condition. i've had this for about 3 mos now and my siblings and husband have all mentioned the clearness of skin especially my nose. at first i used 3 times a week and used glycolic gel right after. now i only use once a week because it is drying. this is cheap for the amount you get and this will last me forever!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

works but its a mess to use.. wont repurchase..

on 8/21/2012 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

It is a temporary solution for people with excess sebum especially the nose and chin area. The reason why I give it only two stars - It doesn't remove everything or reduce the appearance of my sebaceous filaments. I am not sure if I want to buy it again but it is cheaper than biore nose strips.

To clean off the silver powder from your face is sometimes pain in the ass. You would need a lot of cotton balls and alcohol-free toner.

( I've read some reviews here and noticed that people complained about hundred blackheads on their nose or chin - it is not blackheads! It is called sebaceous filaments -- http://www.livestrong.com/article/546911-difference-between-blackheads-sebaceous-filaments/ )

I l adore this product.
All my life, I was plagued with blackheads on my nose and chin area. My pores clog easily, my skin keratinizes too much and the results were hundreds of blackheads on my nose and some blackheads and underlying impurities on my chin.
I tried everything over the years: Facials, glycolic acid, nose strips, manual extraction.
Nothing helped me. Nothing. The blackheads were stubborn, impossible to remove (even the beautician couldn�t remove them) and deep set in my skin. Trying to extract them only caused red spots, inflammation and peeled skin on my nose. I even had some prescripted salve with adapalene and this salve did nothing, although some people could peel their skin off after using this. That�s how much my skin is keratinized.
Enter silver powder. I stumbled over a review here on makeupalley and thought, I�d give it a try.
The powder is cheap, I paid 14 Euros for it and it lasts very long. I would say for at least one year. Compared to the other products I tried, this is dirt cheap.
The powder is white and I pick it up with a damp cotton pad as it is described on the package. I dab it on my nose in a thin layer and leave it there to dry. It takes about 15 minutes, but it�s not a problem, when you leave it on longer. Then I take it off with a toner (mine is a anti-blackhead toner with salicylic acid). Sometimes, I use a nose strip in addition to the mask or I extract them manually. I like to put on a salve with zinc and salicylic acid afterwards.
The powder doesn�t clump and doesn�t get dirty when you use a damp cotton pad. So I don�t know why other reviewers had a problem with this method.
Another problem of other reviewers was the flaking of the powder when it dries on the skin. Yes, it does, but I don�t wear my best clothes, when I use he powder.
And I have no problems getting the dried powder off with my toner.
For me, the product worked after using it for about 3 weeks. I use it about 3 times a week. It wasn�t a overnight success product as it was for other reviewers. But I�ve been dealing with blackheads for over 20 years, no other product ever worked and mine are extremely stubborn, so I�m very glad and surprised I finally found something against my tons of blackheads.
My blackheads are still not completely gone after 3 weeks of use, but they are less visible, they are much easier to extract and my pores are open. I can feel it when I touch my skin, that my little bumps disappeared and the general condition of the skin in my t-zone has improved.
So, this is definitely worth a try, if you�re struggeling with blackheads as I do.
For me, it did what no other product could do and that makes it literally a miracle-worker.
Love it. Holy grail.
Update 04/12/2012
This product is nothing short of perfect! The healthy mix foundation from Bourjois broke me out so bad in my mouth and chin area with big red bumps and tiny whiteheaded cystic acne. I looked for a way to reduce the effects of the break out and make all the spots and blotchiness go away faster. The silver powder did it again. I used it several days in a row and it was amazing. The bumps dissappeared and my skin cleared up a lot faster than usual. Such outbreaks often need several weeks to heal up, but now I think, they will only need one week and I�m through. This only confirmed the HG status of this product for me. Love it even more.
Update 27/10/2013
Still love this product, but wanted to share some info. What I misdiagnosed as blackheads on my nose and chin were sebaceous filaments. If you want to have more info, check out the notepad of the user icaria. Other than this, I believe that nothing ever helped my skin as this powder when it comes to sebaceaous filaments. I cannot use AHA, BHA or any aggressice peels due to my skin condition that includes rosacea and seborrheic dermatitis. This product never stings, burns or irritates my skin. The only minor side effect is a little dryness, that can easily be removed by applying a moisturizing serum or moisturizer afterwards. Compared to the other treatments which left me with raw, red, irritated skin, this is no real problem for me. I also love it for these ugly big inflamed sore pimples as it calms them down without aggressive ingredients. This lasts a long time, but I definitely will buy it again and again.

on 7/3/2012 11:01:00 PM

So a bit about my skin: I have a lot of blackheads on my nose. Like a lot. And I've always had them so I'd just given up because nothing has worked in the past. I read the reviews for this and decided to give it a chance. On it's own it's pretty good. Over time if does clear pores. However, when used with biore pore strips this is fantastic. I have this patch on the side of my nose thats just full of black heads and the strip had like a little tree of black heads from that side.. It was also able to pull out big black heads which it has never done before. So this is my new favorite pore clearing routine... Silver powder + biore pore strips = <3

on 5/31/2012 10:38:00 PM

I don't see results immediately after using it, with all my black heads gone (basically every pore on my nose are minuscule black heads). But throughout the week, I will notice less black heads and a slightly cleaner nose.

I use this in the shower, avoiding washing it off till I'm done showering and then some. I don't recommend trying to do daily tasks because then powder will fall everywhere. I put it on my whole face as I find it has a nice drying effect for my pimples.

I wash it off gently with warm water, and then stubborn areas (nose), I use a towel and toner. .

After that, a lot of the black heads or white pus are out of my nose and I use an extractor to fully clean. However, I read a review (ichigobunnie) where the girl used biore strips after, and she was able to remove a lot more black heads with the strips and silver powder than the strips by itself.

on 5/25/2012 3:33:00 PM

I have always used nose strips for my blackheads and that has not always been a pleasant experience. With nose strips, my nose was itchy, red, and dry after the initial use. After years of usage, I have notice enlarged pores and oilier complexion. If there is a miracle product, the Mario Badescu silver powder is the one. The silver powder reduced the appearance and amount of the blackheads. The main ingredient in this product, calcium carbonate, absorbed the oil and reduced breakouts of blackheads on my face. I highly recommend this product for those who have never had a clean pored nose.

Popular Masks