April 24, 2014 | 1828 users online

Self Tanners - Neostrata - Self Tan

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2009 11:41:00 AM More reviews by sarahharb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

In general this is a great bronzer/self tanner. i like that it isn't a gross orange color (are you listening ROC) but my only complaint is the ultra quick drying time. i splotch a little on my forehead cheeks and chin and in those 2 seconds it starts to color my forehead. the result is a slightly darker mark in the middle of my forehead. but i'm learning to adjust my application method and all is well. an excellent, natural looking tan. i look like i've been at the beach for a few days but without the damaging effects. Oh, and it hasn't broken me out like the others tend to. will repurchase, definitely.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 12:14:00 PM More reviews by chrisstbg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Where are you ladies getting this product! I was all excited about ordering this out of canada but the site says it has been discontinued by the manufacturer! If anyone knows where to order please LMK.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2009 11:08:00 PM More reviews by TigerLILYx

My skintype & tone: eczema prone, sensitive, oily to very oily t-zone, blackhead & acne prone; C4 in MAC studiofix, 205 in Makeup Forever Duo Mat; medium with beige undertone.

WOW! This product really delivers in terms of pigmentation; does not contain any serious irritants; slight (and somewhat pleasant) fragrance which did not bother my ultra sensitive skin; smooth satin-matte texture which did not seem to aggravate any acne/blackheads. All in all, it passes the sensitive/comedogenic factor with flying colors.

This product is fairly easy to apply, provided that you are either wearing a pair of form fitting plastic gloves to apply it to your body or using a smooth-surfaced cosmetic sponge to apply it to your face. It does have a tint acting as a color guide, and goes on almost black, but the color will fade significantly when you wash it off. I've read some reviews on here from people with light to medium skintones who noticed *no* pigmentation change, honey.. you must be doing something wrong. I am a little on the dark side of a medium skintone and noticed a SIGNIFICANT change after less than 7 hours of application.

So, a few tips:
as per a common rule, always exfoliate at least a day prior to applying any self tanners; always apply to a thoroughly cleansed face (any residues of makeup will result in blotches on your face); apply with a *very* smooth surfaced cosmetic sponge to your face as if you are applying foundation, this ensures a smooth and streak free finish; always use plastic gloves when applying to your body; the basic idea is to AVOID using your bare hands as to end up with orange palms. Make sure the product on your face/body is completely dry and absorbed before putting on any clothing. Additionally, although you can probably apply this stuff then go to sleep right away, when I apply it to my face, I try to do it during a day where I don't have to leave the house because I find that this stuff doesn't absorb as well through the face and ended up staining my pillows -- and worst, leaving blotches on my face when it was rubbed off on my pillows.

One important note is to *NOT* apply any lotion/cream/serum based moisturizers immediately before applying a self tanner. The moisturizer will form a barrier film over your face which may interfere with the effectiveness of the self tanner (this is especially true in serum-type moisturizers which leaves silicones on your face). I have some patchy and flaky areas on my face and I like to remedy this by applying a spray-type moisturizer prior to self tanner application. Currently I am having excellent results with MD Formulations Moisture Defense Antioxidant Spray, which is a toner-type, but contains phospholipids, cholesterol, antioxidants & sodium PCA which does wonders for your skin's barrier.

Those of you with any kind of hyperpigmentations (including post acne marks) on your face may find that this product may leave your face looking kind of blotchy aftewards. If you are unhappy with the result in any way, there really is nothing to remedy this except for time. You can however help to quicken the process by using an effective and ph-correct BHA product and a washcloth a couple of times a day to speed along the overturn of skin cells.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2009 3:16:00 PM More reviews by VinylRitchie

I have a fair/mediam skin tone and I tan really dark super easily in the summer. The Neostrata tanner will never quite give me a tan as dark, however, it's pretty darn close. This tanner will turn you really BROWN, whereas other brands will turn you really orange/brown.
After one application, I'm definatly noticably darker in color. I will repeat the application the next day. Woohoo I have a decent tan. Third day I apply again, and after that, I am a bronze goddess! It looks like I spent a week at the beach. Friends and strangers give compliments. I usually reapply every 4-5 days.
Please Note: Always EXFOLIATE EXFOLIATE EXFOLIATE. If you don't, your tanner won't go on evenly, it won't absorbe properly, and it will end up blotchy.

This stuff looks like thick gross mud. It also dries freekin FAST! I always add in a little bit of my normal moisturizer so that it will spread easier and more evenly. It will also absorb into your skin way better.

Oh ya, and wear gloves!! This stuff stains your hands and wrists dark brown. If you don't wear gloves when applying, then rub your hands with Contact Lens Saline Solution. Something it it dissolves the self tanner instantly.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2009 8:46:00 PM More reviews by pho1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i have porcelain white skin and this is the best self tanner i have ever used as far as realistic color goes. This just gives a very light natural brown color to my skin-it looks very dark at first but it is just the color guide which rinses off as soon as you shower. As long as i wash off the color guide it doesn't stain -so i recommend applying right before bed and shower off in the morning. Also its very thick(chocolate pudding like)and can be hard to spread quick and evenly--but instead of regular gloves-buy the kind you would use for washing dishes and make sure they are the one with the textured palms-it will go on so much more evenly-the only cons:wears off 2 days and the cost to ship from canada is same as the price of tanner($32 total) sun labs works almost just as well for me but for like half the price

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2009 6:40:00 PM More reviews by valentina555

this provides very good color but a few issues to be aware of
1) you must work fast with this and blend very quickly
2) the product turns green if it is "off" or sitting around the store too long, too old. disgusting. be careful to buy a new batch
3) this stains your hands like crazy. i used to apply with latex gloves, but that made application move more slowly. i would love hints or tips on avoiding this issue!
4) same unavoidable self tanner scent develops as with all products.. sigh :(

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2009 11:05:00 PM More reviews by cosmogirl64

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Well...I finally found out what everyone here has been raving about. The Insta tan by Neostrata.What an amazing product. I am very fair blonde hair blue eyes and this product gave me the best color in one application. It goes on almost black but at least you can see where your putting it and then doesn't even really smell that bad. In a few hours I had a really nice color. I put it on face and body and didn't have any problems. I have also added a new picture of it as they have changed packaging here in Canada.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2009 2:36:00 PM More reviews by babybehn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great product! I use it in the summer as I rarely tan (who needs photodamage). I am medium-skinned, but my legs are alarmingly pale and I have very visible veins due to thin skin, this product helps cover those up so I can wear skirts!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2009 4:10:00 PM More reviews by xserenity

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought the Insta-tan, and once applied, it looked green. And I was hesitant to take it off because I read that it's supposed to turn that color. So after waiting a while and washing it off the next day, I was surprised to find a nice tan. Definitely repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2008 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Treasa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This review is for Neostrata Natural Insta-tan.
I bought this self tanner based on MUA reviews and it definitely did not disappoint. AWESOME.
Applies beautifully with no streaking and the colour is perfect-a nice golden tan with one application and the second application giving me that beautiful deep golden tan that i have coveted for years. The rules apply to all tanners-exfoliate, moisturize and apply. It did not leave stains on my clothes. It is vastly better than savage bronze which was my staple for years
I purchased from a canadian pharmacy for $31 including s+H.
Gets 5 stars from me.