July 28, 2014 | 1378 users online

Eyeliner - Laura Mercier - Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Black Ebony

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2011 2:51:00 AM More reviews by sookiepyopyo

This is my favorite eyeliner! I can't believe I didn't know about this and was wasting time with gel liners. It is so much better. It is not gooey and heavy like gel liners and really helps you to tightline for a natural eyeliner look. It can also be made more dramatic by building up the intensity. I also love the matte finish because I don't love the slick look of liquid liners. I used to love gel liners until I found this! No need to worry about it drying out either. I did not buy the activator, I just put my flat edged brush under some water and draw strokes in the pan until I have enough. It does take a little more time then a liquid and not as quick as using just a shadow but very much worth it for me and especially for Asians (specifically monolids....it's much prettier to do the invisible liner method then the thick eyeliner). Also, very easy to wing out too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2011 10:28:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

Matte, black and great staying power. It is not as rich a black as I would hope, since it looks pitch black in the pan, however I am very happy with its wear: 4 hours on my waterline and even longer on top lash line. This surpasses Fluidline, Colorstay, all of them, since I have oily Asian lids with no crease. I wet a flat liner push-brush with plain old tap water and dab away in the pan to create a paste and brush on my waterline and upper lash line. Very impressed and pleasantly surprised at its longevity on both.Would recommend for other oily lid gals and guys that have no crease and are frustrated by disappearing liner!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2011 9:20:00 AM More reviews by SimPLe_GuRL

Good product, very natural & easy to use. A bit fussy coz u need water to activate it. But i dont mind, at least that means it doesnt dry up like bobby brown's. Not as dark as other black liner; thus makes it looked more natural. Too bad i droped it & mine breaks all over the place.. I gather the pieces & put water on it to put the pieces together.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2011 8:09:00 PM More reviews by BeautyVicious

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Here's a product that I love! The Laura Mercier cake liner. I have one in Ebony & I want to get the Brown one also. This stuff is awesome & lasts throughout the day. You can use this to make a soft natural yet defined eye or you can use it in addition to your regular liner to make a more dramatic look. I use my Mac Fix+ spray & a small thin angle brush that I picked up at Michael's with this.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/28/2010 1:56:00 PM More reviews by NLilly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had this applied on my upper eye line by the SA at the LM counter (surely she should know what she's doing - right?). She sprayed some water on the brush and applied it into the roots of my lashes for a classic look. It came on a gorgeous colour, a really pretty strong black with a slight sheen that brought out the colour in my eyes. I was really quite pleased.
But within minutes it started dripping *into* my eye, and just went everywhere I didn't want it to go. I ended up with panda eyes that looked anything but nice. The colour also fell on my face as I blinked. The SA said maybe she touched the membrane of the eye and the water activated it. But I was not impressed. This happened with both eyes..Maybe had she applied it above the eyes it would have been better, but as something that gets activated with the slightest moisture clearly cannot be trusted if I end up in slightly humid conditions.. worst of all, despite running easily down my eyes on application, it was extremely difficult to remove from the areas it wandered off to - I actually had a facial later that day and my beautician could not remove it all with her creams. It took several tries onto the next day to be finally rid of it from my bottom lash...shame as the colour itself was beautiful. Will not be purchashing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2010 10:22:00 AM More reviews by sedst9

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

For someone who always had the hardest time tightlining, or drawing any type of streamlined line around my eyes, the Laura Mercier cake liner has been my savior since I discovered its greatness. The only look I could pull off in my days before discovering this was my smudged liner look, because I always ended up screwing up the line so bad that I had to smudge it to look decent. I don't know why but everything seemed to tug constantly on me, my hands couldn't control liquid liner, liner pencils, especially cream liners ugh. Then I heard about this LM cake liner. I purchased it in black ebony AND followed the advice of other reviews and got the LM liner pencil. Yes, this set me back at first but I have been using it every single day for months and it doesn't even look like I put a dent in it. That considered, it's really not expensive at all. I can't wait to get the Bleu Marine next!! This stuff is seriously so easy to use, lasts all day and really enhances the eyes! Will continue to purchase over and over and over. Oh, and the other tip about mixing it with Visine, this is perfect! I drop one to two drops each time I use this and it gives me the perfect consistency.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2010 8:54:00 PM More reviews by Sophia1105

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Edit: This is an entirely diff product than my Chanel la Ligne (a very densely pigmented cake liner that applies and wears much like a liquid). LM's is a softer, smokier version of a cake, it softens out with your own oils and blends nicely with a brush once dried. No fall out either, as when using a powder wet. This takes A LOT of fussing but the overall effect is greatly worth it. Takes too much time and fussing to get the water + product combo right to use in the morning, but the overall wear of this is certainly more evening, smudged, sexy, so it really doesn't matter that this is such a PITA to use. A new fav. but this isn't what I would consider to be a typical cake liner. Absolutely back-up worthy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2009 1:24:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PRO: Pretty natural for a cake type. (I'm N15 and use the Mahogany Brown for day.). It will last you forever in the pan; seems it never runs out.

CONS: Takes some practice in using.

USAGE TIPS: LM has a brush for this called "Pointed Eyeliner brush." Very thin line is possible with it. Trish McEvoy has Brush #11 "Precise Eye Lining" that is a stiffer brush for tightlining.

ALTERNATES: Revlon Colorstay or the i-color line of liquid liners by Almay.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2009 12:41:00 AM More reviews by ktdetails

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

I love this.
I love that it's not a gel liner - I love that it won't dry out.
I love that it's water activated. I love how pigmented it is.
I love how it looks when I tight-line with this.
I love how long it lasts. I love how natural this eyeliner can look and how dramatic it can look.
I am going to buy this in the brown and the blue.
Pencil liners seem like such a waste when you find these.

Her flat eyeliner brush is amazing too.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2009 2:48:00 PM More reviews by emluken

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

LM Cake Eyeliners come in their own mirrored compacts that you can use as is, or pop out into a custom 3- or 6-well compact. I like to apply this with Benefit's Angled Eye brush, dampened with some water.

Black Ebony is, of couse, very black. Goes on precisely and lasts forever. I can put this on in the evening, go out, forget to wash my face, and it's still there perfectly when I wake up in the morning.

This is a pretty good eyeliner, but I prefer LM's Caviar eyeliner. I think the cavier stays on the waterline better, and I prefer the versatility of using them as either precise or smokey (the cakes are only good for precise lining, must use eyeshadow to so a smokey eye.)