July 26, 2014 | 1418 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Blot Powder - Medium/Dark

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2012 3:37:00 PM More reviews by frezgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this to set my makeup. it works fine and i like that its translucent and doesnt give colour. It is pricey though. MAC is becoming very conceided. $28 for a pressed powder is pricey.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2011 8:26:00 PM More reviews by xAutumnBabyx

Prior to purchasing MAC's blot powder, L'oreal's Magic Perfecting Base Primer tamed my oily skin while wearing foundation & powder- and to this day, I cannot live without it. The reason I tried blot powder was because I still wanted an extra mattifying product in my routine, and appyling this before my MAC Studio Fix powder has not only prolonged my foundation's lasting power even more- but I virtually never have to touch up anything anymore- even my nose, which still got a little shiny by 6 hours of wear with the L'oreal Primer. I cannot say how much easier life is without having to always blot my face, and worried that my foundation has gotton cakey. I can go all day without having to worry about any shine. I do admit, my skin isn't as oily as in my teens- but at 22, it still slightly was & now with MAC's Blot powder & L'oreal's Perfecting Base- I can wear any foundation, powder or concealer and they last :) ..... With Blot Powder, its very important to purchase the correct color. When I first tried this 3 years ago, I picked it up in Medium (to light for my NC25 skin) .... & I hated this product- Medium Dark is perfect! I adore this product :) I just wish there was more, I find I went thru my first compact quite quickly- if only it had the same Grams as Studio Fix, it would be perfect. a great Drugstore Dupe for this is the Hard Candy 'Welcome Matte' Powder- its a great alternative if MAC face products break you out.

*UPDATE*

I have come to realize that if you want your makeup to last all day with this, you have to apply this before any other powder. For the past few days, I reversed this method and began using my Prestige powder first, then lightly applying blot powder over it- and i've been getting oily after 5 hours, if I apply blot first- I don't have to touchup for about 7-8 hours tops.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2011 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Lomelindi

Ooooh, I'm pleasantly surprised by this powder! It's GREAT for those of us with oily skin, but I'm not sure if it would provide any advantages for those with dryer skin types so I guess I'm only recommending this for oilies. (For reference, I'm NC25 (NC30 in the summer) and I match Medium/Dark, which is... bizarre if you ask me, but I guess I won't complain.)

Basically, this powder instantly gets rid of oily shines while also airbrushing your skin. It's great for setting foundations and for touch ups, and the sleek packaging makes it great for keeping in your purse or in your office. I do like applying it with a big fluffy brush because I don't like the circular pad that it comes with. Like with all powders, I don't think you should overapply this powder because it may give you flakey skin, but you only need a little with every application.

Personally, I think it's a bit overpriced, but I haven't found another powder that controls oil as well, so I will willingly shell out the money until I find something cheaper. (Unlikely.)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2011 10:56:00 AM More reviews by NhancedBeauty

Oily Tzone? Very oily Tzone? Slightly Oily Tzone? This is a miracle worker! I apply some of this after i've done all my make up and it goves a lovely matte look (which i love) and prevents me from getting oily constantly. I tend to not blot at all or blot once in an 8-9hr period. How great is that. I have combo skin and a SUPER oily nose. You could fry chips on it. (ew) Not anymore though! I love you Blot powder my little livefesaver :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2011 2:46:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

I'm practically rejoicing right now because a product has finally lived up to the hype! I have the most oily, acne scarred and porous skin that greases up within mere minutes of applying make up (no joke, my face is so oily i can see it reflecting off relatively matte surfaces in the mall), so boy am i glad that this works a treat! I was of course dubious when i first purchased this as i haven't been too pleased with MAC products in the past. My sister had bought their foundations and powders before and it just doesn't look "right" and appears to be a bit orangey and seperated as the day goes on. But luckily, this powder doesn't. While it is called 'medium/dark', it still looks entirely natural on my NC 20/ no.52 in Bourjois Healthy mix skin. No, it didn't minimise my pores but i didn't expect it to. To be honest, i'm just glad that it does what it says - reduces oil! Even though it's on the 'pricey' side ($36 AUS) for a poor uni student like me, its well worth it if i don't have to fret about my oil slicked face all day! Good job MAC! :)
EDIT: keep your application tools in mind. The oil kept at bay when i used a kabuki brush but then my face became a oil slick when i used a small powder brush! Figure out what's best for you!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2011 6:27:00 PM More reviews by danakay5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love love this blot powder!! i have tried soo many different bands and by far this leaves toy face so pretty after you apply after foundation. Ad that says alot considering i have oily skin =/ so its soooo worth the price!! even my boyfriend noticed the difference =)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2011 8:18:00 AM More reviews by Bulbasaur

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

HG product for me! My skin is very light (NW15) and really oily on my nose/lower forehead/chin. I use this over my foundation or BB cream and this sets it so well. I just LOVE the matte finish it leaves on my skin. It doesn't look fake or like you have a mask. I don't really care for the puff, I use a brush for the application. It is a little pricey (27.50$CAD), but I don't see finishing this powder anytime soon so it's definitely an investment!
The color medium-dark is perfect for my fairly light skin and I don't see myself using any other lighter color.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2011 2:18:00 PM More reviews by garagegirl022

I love this powder!! It gets rid of shine without looking cakey or chalky. Plus I think the MAC compact is super stylish for all you fashionistas out there!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2011 6:29:00 AM More reviews by mincagee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have the most SHINIEST t-zone ever! especially my nose. in the morning i would put on my Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Foundation and set it with the matching powder. But in less than an hour my nose would shine like crazy! like literally the light would reflect off my nose, it was that shiny. So after reading a lot of good reviews on this product I thought I'd give this a try. I wasn't very keen on buying it at first, especially how it's a bit pricey ($36 AU), but I've had enough of shininess so i went ahead and bought it.

One word.

AMAZING

I do not regret it one single bit!
I would usually blot every hour of the day, but after using this ONCE in the morning to set my foundation, and ONE more time in the afternoon, I had no shininess whatsoever. It gives a really good matte finish and not cakey at all. I use a brush to apply it, but I use the puff in the middle of the day. I just simply dab the puff in the powder and press on the shiny areas on my face. I LOVE THIS PRODUCT SO MUCH, I CANNOT GO ANYWHERE WITHOUT IT NOW!
Definitely worth the money!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2011 7:09:00 PM More reviews by PaperAlias

I'm a fan of Kryolan's loose Anti-Shine powder, but I was looking for a pressed oil-controlling powder that I can easily travel with.

The retail price is $23.00. Pretty expensive for a regular drugstore shopper like me, but I was fortunate enough to receive this in a swap. I've been using this almost everyday for a few of months now.

My skin-tone is light-medium with warm undertones, and I was expecting the Medium to be my color match. I received the Medium-Dark in the swap, and it's perfect. So I think the colors do run a little on the lighter side. The undertones are neutral, so I think it would fit well with most complexion colors. It has a sheer, translucent finish, so if you're looking for a powder to specifically hide flaws and discolorations, this isn't it. If you try packing it on, it can look pretty cakey and accentuate any dry areas.

I love the packaging. Very durable, easy to carry, and it comes with a mirror on the inside cover. I like using my ELF Flat-Top brush to press this into my face to set my concealer and mattify my t-zone.

I have an oily, acne-prone complexion and this has not caused me to breakout, even when applied to my most acne-sensitive areas like my cheeks, forehead, and chin. It doesn't oxidize or change color. I live in Arizona, and it's almost July, and I find that this does do a decent job of keeping my oily areas shine free, at least for a several hours through the day.

While I think my Kryolan powder does a better job of keeping shine away a little bit longer, I do love MAC's Blot Powder. It's convenient; easy to travel with, it doesn't break me out, no weird smell, good texture, decent oil-control. A little bit on the pricier side, but because of how easy it is to use and effective it is, I think I'd get another once I run out.