Cinema Secrets Foundation/concealer

4.3

Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Palmitate, Octyldodecanol, Carnauba, Candelilla Wax, Dimethicone, Kaolin, Aloe, Bisabolol, Fragrance, Tocopherol, BHT and Ascorbyl Palmitate and Citric Acid 8 Glyceryl Stearate 8 Propylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide. May contain: Ultramarine Blue, DC Red 36, DC Red 7, Calcium Lake, FD&C Yellow 5, Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue 2.

on 4/23/2012 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Well, I wish I knew about this product, or considered buying palettes before I went through the dozens of concealers/foundations that I have, never being able to find the right shade. I use palette #3 which is for olive/yellow skin tones, as I am Filipino. According to MAC cosmeticians, I'm a NC35-42, but the CS shades suit me much better. And they just melt into my skin and blend in flawlessly. And I like being able to customize it a bit with all the shades, since my skin has different shades of hyperpigmentation. I use mostly the middle shade with sometimes a few dabs from the lightest one.

My only problem with it, is I was sort of confused and thought it was a concealer, when palette #3 is a foundation. (Other palettes in the line ARE concealers, however). So while this product hides slight imperfections, it doesn't have the coverage and staying power that I look for in a concealer, to hide pimples and scars. Because of this, I really tried to spackle it on throughout the day, which made it worse because, in conjunction with the powder I use as all over foundation (I don't like using creme based foundation all over), the layers of makeup became really jarring. I seemed to have solved this by using my Ben Nye mellow yellow neutralizing concealer underneath, which sticks much better, like a MAC studio concealer.

So I use my Ben Nye yellow concealer on major blemishes, do a dusting of mineral powder to even out my whole face, and use CS for coverage on minor flaws and to lightly layer on top of the neutralizing concealer.

I would definitely keep this in mind as a foundation, however, if what you're looking for in a concealer is coverage and staying powder. Even as an under eye concealer, it wasn't very effective. Though it "melted" into the rest of my face, it seemed to dry up and accentuate lines around the eye area, even when I especially moisturized the area.

on 4/3/2012 12:20:00 AM

There have already been a plethora of helpful reviews, but I figured I'd add my two cents and yet another thumbs up for this fantastic product. I've been using it for close to a year now, and I apply it in a variety of different ways depending on how my skin is, the time of year, and the coverage I require.

I'd recommend getting a palette to start, and then purchasing the individual shade that works the best for you. If you're concerned about being wasteful with the colors that don't work - don't be. I used the too-dark colors for contouring, and the too-light colors for some particularly aggressive red spots.

Ways I've applied this with great success:

1) As a makeshift tinted moisturizer. I dab it on my face with a concealer brush, squirt some of my moisturizer or sunscreen in my hand, and apply to face. Gives you even coverage with an extremely natural finish.

2) As a foundation. Again, dab on necessary areas with a concealer brush, and then use a damp sponge to buff it into your skin. Feel free to add more as needed, and work in layers. The finish is natural and does not look cake-y as long as you are well moisturized.

3) As mentioned, I've used the too-dark colors for contouring. I recommend Lisa Eldrige on youtube if you're not familiar with the technique, but it works well to use cream-based products on other creamy products, and powders on powders. Therefore, when I've applied my cinema secrets foundation, I'll contour with the too-dark foundation down my nose, or under my cheekbones, and blend well.

I hope this helped someone. As a note, I have dry, acne prone skin that normally hates products like this - so it has been working well for me for reasons I don't understand or want to question! :)

on 3/26/2012 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Skin Type: both oily + acne-prone
Skin Tone: NC35
Concealing Acne: 2/5
Concealing Under-Eye Circles: 2/5
Staying/Lasting Power: 4/5

I went out and bought the #1 Corrector Kit after reading so many great reviews on this product (deciding between Makeup Forever HD or this; decided on this for its color mixing abilities).

It's my second concealer I've ever tried (Bare Minerals Summer Bisque was my first; meh. Didn't match my skin tone).

It conceals my acne perfectly, but it in turn makes it break out much more worse. My under-eye circles still peek through the concealer, it looks horribly cakey no matter how much I apply and blend, & it melts off within hours, so I have to put on primer + powder if I want it to last.

I was really intimidated by the range of colors and the application, but it's not that difficult to use; not my HG (holy grail) product and I will most defiantly not buy again.

*edit: although the concealing pigments are very nice for redness, it made my acne worse & I find that the concealer comes off VERY easily...I do have extremely oily skin, but a bit disappointed nonetheless.

on 3/5/2012 1:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It covers sooo well! I had acne and it's better now but left many scars. My old Makeup Forever HD foundation can't cover them. I found this foundation online and saw many good reviews so I had to try it! They have a large variety of shades. The foundation/concealer's texture is creamy. I read the ingredient list and compared with a list which contains comedogenic ingredients, and NOT A SINGLE one matched. I just got my package a few days ago. It was expected, covers very well. I haven't got any breakouts so far. Their 603 concealer for redness is really great. It covered my tough redness areas. I recommend new buyers get some samples first and order the full size.

on 2/19/2012 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

NC25 Chinese, acne discolorations.

Kit#01. Using a dense brush is key for stippling this concealer on (ie. the Sigma P84 for specific areas or F84 for larger areas when my whole cheek is going nuts).

605-61(4th): stipple this peachy beige color under eyes to neutralize eye circles
603-21(3rd): Slightly darker than NC25, so this would be good for contouring under the cheekbones if you're into that level of detail.
602-65(2nd): primarry concealer color for my old acne marks, very buildable
607-19 (1st): neutral color to adjust any of the colors above to suit you.

Since all the colors are in one palette, I just dabbity dab dab. With such great coverage, I just set w/ powder foundation to even out my skintone and off I go. Liquid foundations are just getting to be too heavy for me.

PS. The foundation version 301-63A may work well for NC25 if you're interested as a foundation, but I find it too heavy by itself.

on 1/24/2012 1:51:00 AM

Best concealer I've used, and I've tried my fair share of HE concealers!

I also use this around my nose area as it has some darkness around it.

Because it is more pigmented and more creamy, it can accentuate dry patches.

For ref. I'm an NC20-25 with yellow undertones. I use PS507-45.

EDIT: i will say that the color above has slightly more pink undertone, even though i'm more golden. it's not too much pink where it looks bad. i wear it because it helps offset the greenish/purplish dark undereye area. if i used a yellow i would probably look more sallow and greenish in the undereye area.

on 12/29/2011 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Omg omg
Sooooo ummm well I have been using makeup since 13 including foundation
I have used liquids, creams , and minerals
This is a winner in the following categories
Coverage ( so buildable!!!) , Value ( it lasts long time if u use sponge or brush),
Not fake looking!! Most importantly NO BREAKOUTS !!!! :)
A makeupartist introduced this to me
and I have been using for 1 yr now and it would amaze me to find something better
I started with the palette matching my skin tone then determined the 2 colors ( dark/light) that gave me perfect match ( if u tan simply add more darker color) i pay $25 for a huge pot and they last 1 yr (i wear makeup everyday)
Highly recommended ladies...highly recommended

on 9/23/2011 7:37:00 PM

For reference, I'm a C2 (light w/yellow undertones) and use 602-65 for a spot concealer.
I can't really comment on packaging, since I've only ordered a sample size of this from Camera Ready Cosmetics. The sample should last me quite awhile though, as I only use it for blemishes and only wear makeup once or twice a week. It does cover nicely, but you've got to learn how to make it work for you personally. I do wish it were a little drier and waterproof, as the creaminess of it makes it sometimes smudge off as I'm trying to blend. And you absolutely have to set it with some sort of powder, which can also be tricky to get on.
But, I like it and will most likely purchase the full size (which is very cheap in comparison to other concealers) when I run out.

on 6/14/2011 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I didn't like this until I experimented like HE** and finally realized what works for me. as a concealer: with clean hands, use ring finger and pick up the smallest amount of product, i mean BARELY touch it and lightly pat and blend where you need it. you can layer it if you do VERY light layers, but put it on thick and it will cake like a mofo- so just go super easy and it will look great! as a foundation: works best for me when i apply lightly with a brush then blend with a damp sponge (but really it's better as a concealer imho)

overall:
pro's - reasonable price for amt of product
-great coverage

con's -tricky to work with, can look cakey
-packaging sucks, looks cheap
-internet only makes color selection tricky

honestly, i think most of the people that didn't like this either didn't apply it correctly (took me a bit) or just got the wrong color- it's pretty good. :)

some reviewers said they had trouble matching color, a couple of tips about that: 1) call cinema secrets- they actually recommended based on my description that i use the corrector palette for foundation and it worked! 2) intriguebeauty.com (not affiliated) will send a sample for $4 and their customer service is GREAT! (b/c i was ordering other things, the rep actually gave me my 3 samples free!) 3) intriguebeauty.com (again NOT affiliated i just found them to be great) will match the color for you if you send them a sample of your current fd!

UPDATE: This stuff looks wonderful when blended with a Sonia Kashuk blending sponge!!! I couldn't believe it. If you have this product and didn't like it- try the sponge!

on 6/10/2011 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a great foundation, WHEN used correctly it will look very flawless, natural, like a second beautiful skin. The coverage is great, easily buildable, looks great on photos AND real life.

Do NOT....I repeat do NOT use a makeup brush for this foundation. The first time I tried on this foundation, I used my MAC foundation brush and was disappointed by how oily & uneven this foundation on my skin.

To get that flawless, gorgeous glowing skin that those Hollywood starlets do....USE a damp sponge! this is very crucial method in getting an awesome result for Cinema Secret's foundation. The proper method and tools usage can make such a HUGE difference!!

You MUST use a damp sponge (like beauty blender, sephora/ other pro sponges), saturate the sponge with water, squeeze excess water and press on the foundation with the sponge. Use a press and bouncing motion to apply this foundation.

A little goes a long way, so you will need very little each time you apply on your face. Build it up to the coverage that you desire, and be prepared to get "wowed" by your own complexion.

USE A VERY LIGHT hand when applying this foundation, build your foundation lightly, and you will be amazed by the result.

I can't stop looking at my face whenever I use this foundation! Hellooo gorgeous!!

For my NC 30 skin, i use Cinema Secrets Ultimate Foundation PS 301-63A

EDITED to ADD: If you're an oily skin girl, or living in a hot climate....use loose powder and some sort of anti oily/ primer to make this foundation last longer.

Top Rated Cinema Secrets Products