MAC Captive

on 2/2/2011 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I'm so sorry I bought this now. I should swap Captive because I've barely used it and I hate it. Craving is a LOT prettier to me than Captive. It has this darker mauve color on me that I just hate. Craving is more of a dark pink on me and that's what I prefer. I'm an NC45.

I got this today after askig the MA to pick a shade which matched my natural lips- just to even the tone out. I paired it with Soar liner. It's not dark at all on me- quite natural. It amuses me to hear it described as Gothic- hehe!
I used to have Plumful - with half red liner but it was far too mauve on me- made me look sick. (I have NW10 skin and dark hair)

Taking this and the liner back today- they both look like plumful did- the brown and mauve undertones make me look tired and sickly.

on 11/28/2010 6:53:00 AM

As a long time fan of MAC lipsticks, I was looking for a new shade to try and I'm so happy that I came across this one! It is the perfect shade of plummy/lavender/pink and has excellent staying power. Works great for both day and evening looks. Would definitely repurchase.

on 11/14/2010 6:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Nice plummy/mauvy color. Looks great on fair skin tones, as it brings out that paleness and creates a beautiful contrast between skin and lips. It's a satin, so not entirely matte, just with a subtle sheen to it - nothing too creamy or even remotely glossy. Frankly I thought it would be quite dark before I got it, but it's actually very wearable, it's more like a medium to dark muted berry color. Can be worn everyday or for a night out, so hooray for versatility. Would repurchase.

on 11/14/2010 4:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Nice red berry color, darker than plumful and more classy than craving. Very heavy looking and reminds me of a goth look, perfect for club night life.

on 11/11/2010 3:52:00 PM

I looove this color!

it is pigmented, and pretty. i'm only 14 and I wear this often, so don't be afraid of ''dark'' berry colors like this. I think it's really flattering espacially in the winter months, because it'll stand out, when you are 'pale'.. I think it would look great on all skin colors.

have a great day ya'll ;D <3

on 9/13/2010 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a lovely reddish pink plum color. It's not as vibrant as a straight up red, and not as daring. It is a little drying, though. Pigmentation is excellent, and it wears for a long time.

on 8/9/2010 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Well, of all lipsticks, plums are my favourite. I have "Plumful", too, so that's what I'm comparing this with.

I found "Captive" to be quite drying - if you want a perfectly matte plum, this is a better choice for you than lustre. But if matte is what you're going for, this can look quite pretty. Otherwise, you really need to wear it with a lip balm or gloss.

The colour itself is lovely: a rich berry with more burgandy undertones than rosey ones. It seems to me that this is a good choice if you are going for that autumnnal matte look and want to sport a slightly less daring version of a red or deep burgandy.

Overall, with other plummy choices out there, I don't know that I'd reach for this one again.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was looking for a red. However i could not go all the way. I did not want something that was wearing me. Captive was a perfect blend of creamy red and plum for my complection.
Its the only "red" in my collection. For touch up and moisture i apply a red lipgloss cream from L'Oreal on top.

i was a bit dissapointed with this.. too dark, but that is my personal opinion, however it is really pretty if you just apply a little bit like a tint and blend over lips. i would use this method very often if it didnt make my lips so dry and cracked :( but pretty colour!

Popular Lipsticks