October 20, 2014 | 1449 users online

Scrubs - Murad - AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser

rated 1 of 5 on 11/7/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by jella22

SO.......BY FAR THE GREATEST EXFOLIATOR !!! on a good day my skin is red, dry, blemish prone and yah...not the greatest. however, this product is amazing. i was hesistant to use it because my skin is extremely sensitive but after trying it, i was pleasantly surprised ! i happened to stumble on this product by accident; i 100 % agree with a review below about the poor marketing for this product...even the label targets this for age reform ! total bologne. sacylic acid is amazing for acne prone skin ! and i have seen major improvments in the overall quality of this skin. im so glad i found this ! also, you only need very little product and the bottle is huge !!! therefore, despite the high price tag, you definetly get what you paid for !

edit: ok..so even though i used to love and adore this product. i have recently been trying to get away from using chemically loades products and sythentic ingredients...and to my dissapointment i discovered that this is loaded with parabens !! for that reason alone, i sadly will not be finishing it up and will definetly not be repurchasing !! :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2012 1:32:00 AM More reviews by mymelody87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got a sample of Murad's AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser with an Ulta purchase I made sometime last year. I must admit, because it was labeled (or, in my opinion, mislabeled) as a product for use on aging skin as part of Murad's Age Reform line, I didn't really think much of it. I threw it in my shower caddy and used it here and there in an attempt to make some use of it.

I've always had oily skin - like, extremely, tremendously, forget-the-blotting-papers-go-get-a-paper-towel-instead oily. And to be honest with you, I still do, and I probably always will - the AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser didn't fix that, of course. But at the point at which this product entered my life I was also suffering from roughly 10 years of persistent hormonal acne as well. And to top it all off, my skin was, and is, very sensitive. Because of those three factors, everything I tried just made matters worse.

After a couple of weeks of using this cleanser off and on in the shower, I noticed my skin began to clear up. It happened gradually. And my skin stayed oily the entire time. But the pimples all went away, one by one. And the blackheads on my nose all vanished too. Because it happened slowly, I wasn't even entirely aware of it, and I certainly didn't attribute my skin's improvement to the use of this product alone. But after my sample tube ran out, I realized that it was indeed this product which had nursed my skin back into health. While I was out of this cleanser, I didn't experience any sort of rebound acne from not using it. I just saw that the improvement stopped. A couple weeks later, I finally realized the connection between the improvement in my skin and the use of this cleanser, and broke down and bought a tube and committed to using it faithfully, in the shower, every other day, like it says. Sometimes I used moisturizer afterwards, like the instructions suggest; sometimes I didn't.

Now that a year has passed, my skin is completely clear except for the odd pimple here and there once in a great while. I still buy the sample size tubes of this for 10 dollars, and I use it whenever I feel a pimple coming on or I just want to get my face super clean without irritating it. But I don't believe I truly need it anymore. For me, this product has performed its function and is therefore no longer truly needed. If that's not success in its finest form, I don't know what is. And I'm not just stumping for Murad either. After this cleanser worked so well, I got excited and tried a lot of their other products and was (mostly) disappointed. But this cleanser, by itself, is truly amazing.

Now that I don't truly need Murad's AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser anymore, I've switched to using only very gentle facial cleansing creams, like L'Oreal 360 for Sensitive Skin, or Murad's face wash for Sensitive Skin. And that's enough for me.

If I had to apply a theory to what happened, I would say that, while most of my acne was hormonal in origin, its persistence was the result of irritation and congestion. So, I found a product which cleared the congestion without causing irritation, and my skin was able to return to baseline. I would say the complete process of fixing my skin took about 3 or 4 months.

I only have one complaint, for which I have removed a star from an otherwise 5 star product: the marketing here is all wrong! The combination of salicylic and glycolic acids plus gentle exfoliating beads in this product makes it perfect for acne-prone or oily skin. Maybe it has some beneficial effect on wrinkles as well. But from most of what I've read and all that I have experienced, this product seems designed to fix acne. And what's even sillier than the mislabeling? Murad has an entire other line of products designed to treat acne which almost everyone agrees is a total waste of money, while this product sits unknown and unrecognized on the wrong side of the display.

Anyway, I definitely recommend giving this a try. Chances are you're going to get a tube of this free at some point anyway if you shop at Ulta frequently. And if you don't get a free tube, you can try a slighter larger sample tube for 10 bucks. For that price I say give it a shot. Follow it up with a little bit of oil for moisturizer (I use Argan, personally), even if you've got oily skin. And see if it works. It did for me and that's all I can say.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2012 12:09:00 AM More reviews by julieejuicee

I got a large sample tube of this. I have been using it for about 2 weeks or more, and I like it a lot! I don't have sensitive skin, so I use this everyday and I haven't had any adverse effects. At first I thought it wasn't doing anything and it seemed too gentle. But then, I got a huge pimple (hormonal) and it went away MUCH faster than usual. I don't have acne that often anymore, but when I do get a breakout, it's a big one, and right in the middle of my forehead lol. It usually takes 2 weeks for it to clear up. But since I was using this, it went away in 3 days! Also, if I feel a smaller pimple coming, it doesn't come up at all when i'm using this. My skin also looks brighter and much smoother. I usually don't spend a lot on skincare products, but when this sample runs out, i'm definitely buying the full size if I keep getting such great results.

EDIT: I've been using this a few months now, and it's still amazing! I have a lot less breakouts than usual and my skin has just been really good lately. And the full size bottle is expensive but does have a lot of product! I use about a dime sized amount every other day, so it seems like it will last at least 8 months. Loveee.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2012 1:39:00 PM More reviews by jessamay

I have to start off saying I did not purchase this product - I received in a gift bag at a charity event. I have been using this for over a month and I really like it - it does not work miracles but as someone mentioned below but it does a great job of lightly exfoliating and my skin seems smoother and a bit brighter. I use it only in the morning in the shower so I don't use it to take my makeup off. That being said, I went to Sephora and was taken aback at the price. I like this very much and a little goes a long way but I have never paid more than $10 for a facial cleanser. I don't think scrubbing my face for a minute gives AHA/BHA a chance to really work BUT I have seen results with this so I am kinda stumped. I will purchase this when I run out and I will see how I feel after spending money on it. But as of now, it is my favorite cleanser. As of now...

rated 1 of 5 on 9/3/2012 1:05:00 PM More reviews by sshelton

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The thing I don't like about this product is you can't truley exfoliate with an aha/bha product if it is not left on for the skin to absorb. The little grains in the product are the only thing that exfoliate and my understanding is that there really is very little AHA/BHA % in the product. So, if you really want to exfoliate look for something else that actually is product that is meant to be left on the face. I'm just glad I actually didn't pay anything for the product, it was a free sample travel size from Sephora when I placed an on line order.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/17/2012 1:12:00 AM More reviews by shannonannagins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Update: Over time (a few months) this really sensitized my already sensitive skin. I started using it every other day. Then cut back to twice a week. Then cut back to once a week. Now I can use it about once a month. If you have sensitive skin (not dry, but truly sensitive) just be wary of how frequently you use this.

Original review: So far, so good. I've been using this a week, which is usually long enough for me to be able to identify any sensitivity with products. I have sensitive, acne-prone skin, and this hasn't irritated it or caused any breakouts.

In this past, I've used lactic acid peels, but even low concentrations cause me to have red splotches for days on my face (usually people have no visible signs of lactic peels, at all.) But in the past few months since I've stopped using the peels, my skin has gotten congested. I used a weekly clay mask during that time, but it didn't do enough.

I've been using this every other evening (instructions say 2-3 times per week, so that's about 3 times a week). I may cut back to twice a week, as my skin is slightly dry since starting this product.

Another plus is you should be able to get a travel size tube for $10 to try before you buy the $30 full size.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2012 11:48:00 AM More reviews by mikmik90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Have deleted my old review of this product: here is my new review.
Background on skin: I have combo skin that is prone to sensitivity when I use too many products (minimal routines suit me well). I would describe my skin as kindof thin, prone to oiliness in the t-zone and dryness on my cheeks. I'm not particularly prone to congestion.

In the morning, I rinse with water. I use this product each night to remove my minimal face makeup (usually only consists of a light powder) and cleanse. I remove my eye makeup with Bioderma Crealine, I wouldn't suggest putting this too close to your eyes.

The formula is a foaming gel with little beads that are not abrasive. Doesn't have much of a smell.

Pros:
Removes my light makeup
Cleanses skin perfectly
Provides daily exfoliation, keeps my skin bright
Relatively cheap by Australian standards

Cons:
If the weather is particularly cold/windy, I have to alternate with another cleanser as this alone would dry me out.

Otherwise, no cons come to mind. This is a HG cleanser for me right now. I will say that if you are finding that this product is making you dry, consider how much product you are using. I use about two peas worth, any more and I find my skin gets irritated.

xxkarima

rated 2 of 5 on 8/12/2012 9:30:00 PM More reviews by geideja

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

It has the potential but it contains SLS which it can be drying or cause issues such as acne or dehydrated skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2012 4:16:00 AM More reviews by shimmygirl5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Okay it's probably too early to say too much, but I've been using this product for 2 weeks now and can see a difference. I have acne scars and melasma so for me to notice a difference is saying alot. It's a very gentle formula, there are granules in the cleanser but they are also very gentle. A little goes a long way, I feel already that the price is not bad at all for the amount of the bottle and for how far it goes. My skin feels a little tight after use, but nothing uncomfortable or noticable to anyone but me and I don't have any drying or peeling, I just see the dark spots starting to lighten a bit. I also use Murad Lightener serum, so the combo has been great. I will be back in a few weeks for an updated review.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by stylesnburberry

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This isn't a harsh scrub. It has AHA and BHA which is essential to me. I can use it every day. It seems to balance out my skin. I didn't get this bottle brand new, I received it in a swap so I'm not quite sure if the results would have changed if I did in fact get in from a store. But the product does 1 out of the 2 things it says, it does improve skin tone, and if I use it for a long period of time maybe it will "polish away dullness and dehydraytion". I love Murad products and i continue too. simply because they work and don't promise a list of things that never happen....