Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner

3.5

Water Purified, SD Alcohol 40, Glycolic Acid, Witch Hazel, Sodium PCA, Salicylic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Eucalyptus Globulus Extract, Peppermint Extract, Allantoin, Sodium Lactate, PEG 40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Fragrances

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is an ok toner! When I'm out, I will probably purchase others to try them but still would like to use this one too. I've been using it since the summer, so going on at least 6 months now. I still have half of the bottle & I use it every night after my Clarisonic. I haven't noticed it drying my skin out at all. I have oily to combo skin. When I started using this in the summer months(when I'm more oily), I did notice that it helped control my oil some. I haven't noticed a difference in my pores at all but after I use it my skin does feel nice & smooth. This is definitely a nice toner & very reasonably priced!

on 12/13/2013 1:49:00 AM

This toner dried out my skin badly, and after a week had me if breaking out terribly. In the case of a toner I'm looking for something much more gentle. This toner was very harsh

on 11/19/2013 4:40:00 AM

update,the toner works fine, i only use it on my forehead and nose. i poured it out into a travel sized bottle and after a day or 2, they are salt crystals along the opening pour spout are. i guess the sodium content is really high? i think its weird as ive never seen jt before

on 11/9/2013 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a nice product. I wanted to buy the Alcohol Free Toner but the shop I was at ran out if it, so i bought this one instead. I was worried that the acids content would sting my sensitive dry face, but it never did so far, it is very gentle and refreshing. I use this only night and when I wake up in the morning my skin is looking fresh and glowy, not sure if it is thanks to this toner particularly but so far my regime is working well for me.
Only complaint I have about this toner is that it doesn't apply smoothly, I feel like i am dragging the cotton across my face.

This isn't horrible, but I cannot recommend it.

-1- The concentration of acids seems very weak. I realize it's an OTC product available from any drugstore, but still. All you feel is the alcohol going to work - not the glycolic acid or SA.
-2- I am fine with some alcohol in products, but I feel this one has a bit too much unless you're quite oily or are specifically looking for a toner that will assist in the cleansing process.
-3- It didn't help with my acne, and my sense is it might have made it worse.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this product! Definitely will be buying again!

on 7/26/2013 1:52:00 PM

I've got sensitive, combination, break-out prone skin.

This is a great toner. Fresh, cool (slightly "alcoholy") on application. Does not overdry my skin.

Has helped heal and reduce the redness of any breakouts. And yes, the surface of my skin looks better.

I use it twice a day.

When my skin is 'active', this works really well after night cleansing with NO other product on my face. Next day, my face looks better.

Had used before ... then tried others ... now this is a keeper and holy grail for me.

on 6/26/2013 12:10:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Okay - I'm an old broad, (62) have always had oily skin and during my 40's developed cystic acne which resulted in my doctor prescribing Accutante. While the 6 month Accutante treatment helped, my skin has continued to break out periodically.

After spending tooooo much time in the skin care aisle and reading entirely tooooo many labels, I purchased Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner. I've been on the fence about toners - some dermatologists say to use them, others say they provide no true benefit.

What intrigued me about this product is that it contains Glycolic Acid (AHA) and Salicylic Acid (BHA) which I had read were beneficial for clear skin. What sealed the purchase was the product was on sale, I had a coupon, so it cost me less than $5.00. Such a deal that I couldn't refuse!!!

I started using the product that evening after removing my makeup with Cetaphil. I applied the toner with a cotton ball, gently wiped my face, let it dry, applied eye cream (A MUST HVE FOR MY AGE! ) but no other product on my face. The next morning my face felt fine - not tight or dry - but soft. Most surprising was the breakout on my nose and the few around my hairline were less red. Using Cetaphil to wash my face, I again applied the toner, let it dry, put on my sunscreen and went about my day. This continued to be my routine and after just one week - I was stunned at the difference in my skin: clear, no breakouts, yet soft and smooth. I stopped using the toner for a week and a few breakouts appeared.

Needless to say, this is now part of my daily routine. The only difference is that I have since added a moisturizer in the evening. As this has been my routine for over a year, I can honestly say my skin is clear, smooth and soft. This product works and does what it says: "visibly reduces the appearance of pores and refines skin to be clear, smooth and more even toned."

Because the product contains Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Acids, the label does advise using a sunscreen, but who doesn't use a sunscreen/sunblock anyway? I am VERY fair - have never had a tan in my life - and have had no problems.

on 6/19/2013 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've got bad combination skin - boarders on oily during the summer. Got a bottle to try & began using intermittently - didn't notice much other than the oiliness was reduced slightly. Once I started using day & night with my skin routine, it really cut down the oiliness, and yeah, I noticed that it had made some difference on my pores.. I think once you find a routine to fit this product into then it does do some nice work.

on 5/14/2013 1:48:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I tried this toner for a week, wanting to find a less expensive alternative to my Clinique Clarifying Lotion #2 staple.

Well, the first couple of days my skin looked great. By day 7, my skin went on the fritz and blemishes started popping up everywhere. So I d/c use immediately. Too bad, I really wanted to like this one.

Maybe I will give it another try later after I have rehabilitated my poor skin, and alternate it with the Clinique. The hydroxy acids might just be too much all at once.

On a side note, I like that it contains no added colors, but wish it were fragrance-free too.