April 21, 2014 | 963 users online

Treatments (Eye) - Avene - Soothing Eye Contour Cream

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2011 12:34:00 PM More reviews by Minelli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So in my venture through the Avène brand, I've come across this when I searched an eye skin soothing and moisturiser. It indeed does that quite well, and also helps getting rid of wrinkles and dark circles that appear because of lack of moisture.

I'm not a packaging freak and I don't care if it comes in a fancy box or not, as long as it does what it says it does. However, I must say I like the squeeze method quite a bit. I think there's no hygiene in those pots you got to dip your fingers into. Also, it's much more economic as there's less wasted product.

Reading through some of these reviews, it seems like people buy things without informing themselves of what they do or do not do. This cream will not help with permanent wrinkle fading.nor with regular dark circles due to other reasons such as lack of sleep, bad nutrition or darkened skin. Please don't expect something the product was never advertised of doing.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2011 9:36:00 AM More reviews by wonderblue

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow, I'm suprised this has such good reviews because I found this useless. It doesn't do anything at all and it's claim to be soothing..? Really? No, this isn't soothing to my eyes at all. I'll use this up but definately won't be repurchasing it. It's not particularly moisturising either. Plus you only get 10ml compared to the usual 15ml you normally get in eye creams.
I think my brief flirtation with Avene products is now over, not all they are cracked up to be in my opinion.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2011 1:08:00 PM More reviews by product_junkie6

This eye "cream" is very, very, light. I like it because it soothes my skin, adds a bit of moisture and doesn't have any scent.

This would not do anything for wrinkles or dark circles though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2010 4:12:00 PM More reviews by welldarling

The area around my eyes is too sensitive for most creams, and gets really dry and red and painful. I was looking for something that was very gentle and moisturising, but not so rich that it'd make my under-eyes puffy (which is what clinique all about eyes rich did). And something that wouldn't make my eyes water if it got into them (which is what Origins mega-mushroom eye serum sadly did).

I'm not looking for miracles, and I can't attest to it doing more than making my eyes happy - it doesn't irritate in any way and it's kept my eyes completely moisturised for a few months, including throughout some below-freezing windy nightmare weather. Sometimes, during half-asleep mornings or nights, I even give my eyeballs a little coating of this cream, and they don't seem to mind.

If I stop using this for more than a couple of days, the area around my eyes gets tight and nippy again. I really like the packaging and the consistency, it sinks into my skin easily. My tube is nearing an end, it's lasted over two months and I probably use more than is really needed. It costs less than half the price of the two eyecreams I mentioned above and I'm a hundred times happier with it, so I think that works out as good value.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2010 12:16:00 PM More reviews by swtbby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The area around my eyes have been drying up lately due to the weather and my tendency towards hot showers. Using my normal Shiseido moisturizer wasn't doing the trick, so I decided to get my first eye cream at the tender of 20!

I bought this product from an Australian chain called Priceline for AU$28.99. Found it a bit expensive but my mum encouraged me to buy it ("it's more expensive hence it must be better!") and I must admit I didn't really go around researching for the best price. Pretty pricey for 10ml!

As for the actual performance of the cream, I did find it to hydrate and sooth my eyes after putting it on but didn't notice any physical changes apart from the skin not being so dry. However, I did like how it was unscented because it made it feel more natural as opposed to it having some artificial smell to it.

It came in a little box where the packaging was simple. I like the squeeze function as I find it more hygienic than dipping my fingers into a pot.

As I mentioned earlier, this is my first eye cream so I can't compare it to any other products. I gave it an overall rating of 3/5, where I won't be purchasing it again. Next time, I think I want to try out some other products.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2010 1:19:00 AM More reviews by poivre27

I have used this product for a little over a month, here is my experience with it.

I asked the saleslady to recommend me a good eye cream that is basic: hydrates, is a good base for makeup, and won't cause any problems, with an SPF being a bonus. She instantly told me about this eye cream. I read the box, tested some out, and decided to buy it.

So I took it home, tried it out. It went on without any problem. The next day I wore it in the morning before applying makeup. Eye makeup seemed to go on well enough. The next day when I woke up, I noticed some redness around my eyes. They were small little red dots without any texture. I thought it was weird so I didn't use this cream for another 5 days or so. After that, I wore it again for several weeks almost every day, with no more red marks.

It seemed to be doing a mediocre job...nothing I was too happy with, but I didn't want to stop using this cream because it was pretty expensive for only 10mL. A week or so ago, though, I noticed that when I go days without wearing this eye cream (i.e. being at home on weekends and not going out), the area where I DO apply the cream (lids, under-eyes, and contour) was so DRY. I never had a dry eye area ever before. You could see a white, scratchy area around the eye. I am 100% sure it was due to this cream.

So I've decided to finish using up the tube, but in the meantime also use my Olay Complete spf15 lotion around the eyes (not the eye cream, just the regular face cream..I used to use the eye cream and liked it a lot until I dropped it in the bathroom and it disappeared =P) in the daytime since it protects against the sun, is softer and FEELS more hydrating than Avene.

Overall, not a good product. Skip this purchase and go for something richer in texture, and something less expensive for what it does.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2010 12:09:00 PM More reviews by mkeddie

I sometimes get flaky eyelids and this stuff really helps. I might be remembering it wrong but I thought the woman at Shoppers told me to use this only on eyelids?? I am probably wrong, its very gentle and does the trick when ever i have any dryness.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2010 3:32:00 AM More reviews by SL2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

As I use a retinoid at night, I am not looking for antiaging benefits and I find that this is a very soothing, light moisturising cream for warm weather or if the skin around my eyes is irritated or puffy - handy for travelling, especially as the tube is small. I also have the Bioderma cream for sensitive eyes, which I slightly prefer for everyday, but the Avene is more healing if I have any dermatitus issues. However, I do feel that my undereye area needs something a little richer and for this I like the Skin Recovery cream in the rich version which has Shea butter as one of the ingredients.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 8:18:00 AM More reviews by soleil_kitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I just found out this cream contains mineral oils (paraffinum liquidum) and I could probably already stop right here. It is completely beyond me how this fact escaped my notice. I'm usually quite, sorry, anal about ingredients. But with Avéne I didn't even *consider* it a possibility that they could use mineral oils in their skin care. But they do. After realizing this just yesterday, I will buy myself another eye cream today and throw this one away. I had used it for about a month with moderate results, I'd say. Not that it reduced any of the puffiness or fine lines, but my skin felt hydrated and wasn't irritated. Sometimes that seems enough, I figure. So this gets one lippie for that. I would also like to mention that I checked the ingredients for other Avéne products and was shocked to find mineral oils in quite a lot of them. I like Avéne for their thermal water and sun screen and I will keep buying creams but only ones without mineral oil, I'll make sure of that. This eye cream, however, I will definitely not buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2010 11:12:00 PM More reviews by janetgrace

Quite simply the best eye cream I have ever used at all price points. Can be used with eye makeup application and have no residue. My eyes beg for this as I try to use up other eye creams. No irritation, no stinging...just firmer hydrated skin. Thank you gingeramma for reccomending. You are da bomb!