Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Mahogany Brown

Talc, Propylene Glycol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Alcohol Denat., VP/VA Copolymer, Magnesium Myristate, Polyethylene, Zinc Stearate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Tocopherol, Alumina. May Contain (+/-): CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77007 (Ultramarines), CI 77288 (Chromium Oxide Greens), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).

on 7/7/2006 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

The liquid, including cake, eyeliners give me a lot crisper eye definition that lasts without smudging so I am in the process of converting from pencils. I like this darkish brown simple color. My only complaint is the difficulty in getting a perfect line. And it is hard to get the outer corners to match on each eye. I am using the flat LM brush. All in all, I can generally get a good-enough line and am satisfied with it. This product is so simple that it seems like the drugstore brands should be able to knock it off pretty easily. If they did, I would convert for a lower price, but this stuff may never run out. FOLLOW-UP: I have stopped reaching for this. I prefer MAC fluidline in Graphic Brown because it makes a more opaque line.

on 6/2/2006 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Perfect natural brown liner. It's not as heavy as pencil and just darkens the lash line. You can apply a thicker past for darker color. I'm not giving this a 5 because it does fade somewhat through the day, but still visible.. not unexpected since it rubs off with water and i guess facial oil. But even if it smudges, you dont see a smear so that's good. Also, of course it's not exactly as easy to use as a pencil since you need a damp brush for this. Other than that, this product lasts forever! I can't imagine using this up anytime soon. Good buy.

I never knew what it meant to have a Holy Grail eyeliner until I started using this stuff. I was so enamoured of pencil liners that I didn't even want to bother with a cake liner, the hassle of applying it was too much. Then one day at Holt Renfrew the SA sat me down and dotted this along my upper lash line with their flat brush. I didn't think anything of it and didn't buy it that day, but then I kept getting compliments on my eyes. Even my mom said they looked bigger! So eventually I came around to the idea and went out and bought it. It's fairly easy to apply with LM's flat eyeliner brush. I just add a touch of water, make a thick paste (try some on your hand first to make sure it's the right consistency), then dot it very close to your lashline. You can also make a thicker line if you prefer, but the tightline makes your lashes look thicker and your eyes look bigger. I usually wear this with just a neutral wash in the day time, or sometimes no other eye makeup at all. Wait for it to dry before curling lashes and adding mascara, otherwise you'll end up with a mess.

on 5/9/2006 5:30:00 AM

This is a great eye liner. Easy to apply with an eye liner brush! Lasts all day and nothing to complain about! I would definitely repurchase this one!

on 5/1/2006 5:30:00 PM

I echo all the positive reviews here. Just want to add that this product is very gentle on the eye. If you use the LM flat brush, you just dab the liner with the wet brush, and there is no tugging, etc. whatsoever. I also like the fact that it is water-based. The liner comes off very easily with soap and water. The mahogany color is a very classic, dark, matte brown that works beautifully as an alternative to black.

on 2/23/2006 9:21:00 AM

I have both this and blue marine. Excellent found in my opinion. It's fool proof and very travel friendly. The only drawback is that you have extra work to do that is dampen your brush before puting this on. I use brushes like Bobbi's ultra fine liner, Aucoin angled eyeliner, and Mcevoy's flat liner depending on what look I want to achieve.. all three works well with this cake form. Mahagony is a tad too flat on my FFF Asian skin tone..not sharp enough. I don't complain though because this is the liner I reached out to most in the day makeup or whenever I want jsut a little definition. It's just that Blue marine is my Fave, so fine...

on 1/26/2006 12:51:00 PM

I have always been a little hesitant about using any kind of eyeliner other than a pencil but I had a makeover at the Laura Mercier counter and decided to buy it. I have fallen in love with it! I have oily skin so most products end up smearing below my eyes but this stays put all day. I think it is able to define the lash line in a way pencils cannot. I wasn't crazy about the price but I have had it over a year and it is still going strong. I also received the bleu marine shade for Christmas and I love it just as much!

on 1/23/2006 7:36:00 PM

I *love* the LM cake liners. They are truly the first and only liners that I have ever been able to make look right on me. This dark brown is perfect for my fair skin and green eyes, not as harsh as black but still provides great definition. I apply with saline and a flat brush and it lasts all day. The amount you get lasts forever too - so worth it.

on 12/23/2005 12:49:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is pretty amazing. I have never been much for doing eyeliner because it just never looked that good compared to all the trouble of application. And cake eyeliner conjures up old 1950's makeup, complicated and messy, but this is just the opposite. It took the LM MA all of a minute to show me how to use this, took another minute for me to try it myself (she did one eye, I did the other), and I was hooked. It looks different from the usual eyeliner, much more natural but very effective at defining the eye. And it's so easy, I promise! Once it's on, it stays on until you remove it. You do need a flat eyeliner brush to apply this (I am currently using a flat brush from the art store) and it's recommended that you wash the brush after every use (otherwise the liner will dry on it and get, well, cakey). The other thing I love about this is that you can make the color lighter or deeper by varying the amount of water you use. I mix it up on the back of my hand like the MA showed me. Try this, you will love it. UPDATE 4/14/06: I'm using this nearly every day, has become a HG. Love it!

on 8/11/2005 6:22:00 PM

I recently purchased this and I find that I can work with this cake liner better than with a gel liner. And its not quite as severe a look as some gel liners can be. I bought the Laura Mercier flat eye liner brush with it and that has made a big difference as I've tried it with a Mac push brush and didn't like the result as much. The LM brush is softer and less abrasive to my eye area. I wear contacts and so far, I haven't had problems with any irritation and I'm able to get this right up into my lash line as others have described. Its a pretty bold flat brown, not too dark and not to light. It makes a classy eye. So glad that I found this. I would recommend getting the flat eyeliner brush as well if you don't have a similar one. Great lasting power, too. I paid $20 at Nordies and the brush was $25.