Tom's of Maine tartar control & whitening toothpaste

4.5

Not tested on animals
Tom's of Maine is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 7/15/2006 11:28:00 AM

"Tom's of Maine" has obviously done their homework: They offer a fluoride-free alternative for ONE reason and ONE reason only: Fluoride is TOXIC and those who know about this are seeking out a safe toothpaste. I have no doubt that they are legally restricted from stating this on their packaging. I commend them for making this safe, high quality, and gentle product. Please use only FLUORIDE-FREE, preservative-free toothpaste, regardless of the brand. It is a myth that fluoride helps your teeth or fights cavities! Please educate yourself and read this before you continue putting this toxin in your mouth or body. http://www.beyondhealth.com/fluoride-toxic.htm There are MANY other websites online that will help you see this myth for what it is...a lie. Do a Google search and see for yourself: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fluoride+hazards

on 11/1/2005 9:41:00 PM

This is my favorite toothpaste. I like the fact that it doesn't have that sickeningly sweet artificial flavor that most toothpastes have. It leaves my mouth feeling minty and fresh but in a good natural way... I don't think it works to drastically whiten teeth, but it does leave them looking shiney and clean.

on 6/12/2005 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I am very wary of synthetic chemicals in the products that I consume and apply to my body, so I like to purchase products that are labeled as organic and natural (note that the labeling of products as all natural is not regulated by the FDA, so it is not guaranteed that the product really is all natural). With that being said, I really like Tom's of Maine Tartar Control & Whitening toothpaste in the Peppermint flavor. The texture of the toothpaste is smooth and the toothpaste cleanses my teeth and gums thoroughly. The Peppermint flavor is natural and strong, which I adore. The only negative aspect of Tom's of Maine's toothpaste is the horrible packaging. The tube is made of metal so it becomes bent out of shape after several frequent uses. This makes extracting toothpaste from the deformed tube extremely hard. I have used Tom's of Maine toothpaste for years, and will continue to do so.

on 3/23/2005 9:18:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

Great toothpaste! Cleans my teeth well and freshens breath ... I didn't have any "break-in period" regarding taste, etc. Much better than conventional toothpastes on the market. Took to it like a duck to water. I'm on my second tube and will keep repurchasing. I would have never tried this if not for fellow MUA's reviews. Thanks a bunch!

on 3/4/2005 2:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have been very happy with Tom's of Maine. My expectation were low for the whitening, since I have very weak enamel and definite yellowing/staining as a result, but I have seen some improvement. (On my second tube now!) Taste is pleasant, though it did take a little getting used to. I was sooo used to the heavy sweetness of regular toothpastes, but now I find the regular stuff too sweet! My teeth feel good, too, and no new cavities. (As I said, I have VERY weak enamel; I get cavities at the drop of a hat! You think I would be over it by age 31!) As a bonus, I have sensitive teeth, and this has seemed to help with that. Overall, I think it has a great balance between cleaning power and gentleness to your teeth. And I really like the metal tube.

on 1/8/2005 1:40:00 PM

I bought this product because I had heard good things about the line of natural toothpastes and wanted to try one. I picked this one from the slim pickin's they had to offer at Wal-Mart. When I got it home and read the packaging closely...NO FLOURIDE!! Do you guys know what fluoride does?? 1st, in adults it protects the tooth's enamel from losing minerals and becoming weaker, and 2nd in children, fluoride actually becomes part of the mineral structure and helps teeth become stronger. Please don't let your kids use this toothpaste, find one with fluoride. As far at the taste and everything else that attract people to this toothpaste is decent. It doesn't have the very saccharine-y taste of regular toothpaste and that is very pleasant. I know this sounds gross, but I found while I did use it for about two weeks, it gave me worse morning breath that when I use a regular toothpaste. In the morning it's good though b/c I don't particularly care for a strong over the top minty toothpaste. I may repurchase a different kind of Tom's (one with fluoride) for use when I'm just not feeling like super minty toothpaste like first thing in the morning or when I've been sick. But at night I need a toothpaste with a little more umph.

on 12/23/2004 7:08:00 AM

This is pretty much the ONLY fluoride-free toothpaste at most drugstores and supermarkets, but it's a good one. The taste is great, fresh, and not sugary. (Finally!!) I didn't buy this for whitening effects, so I can't really comment on that. I wish they would do something about the tube though. It's a MAJOR pain to get the last third of the tube out. In response to the reviewer above me, often times between the high fluoride content in drinking water, fluoride toothpastes, and fluoride rinses, some children ingest too much. In the most extreme cases, they can actually become poisoned and develop bone problems and a whole slew of other ailments, but much more common is the development of mottled teeth (dental fluorosis). I myself have a mild case of this, so there is a reason why a product might be made without fluroride (and advertise this fact), because some parents might not want this for their children.

on 11/12/2004 1:14:00 AM

Love this stuff. No weird aftertaste. Just good clean feeling. Will definitely purchase again.

on 10/31/2004 9:41:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

I like Tom's of Maine products, and the tartar control & whitening toothpaste is my favorite among the varieties of toothpaste that Tom's makes.

on 10/11/2004 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

After reading MUA reviews I bought this toothpaste thinking this would be a relatively cheap teeth whitening treatment (at $5-7 a tube) if it worked.
I think my expectations were too high. My teeth have a naturally yellow cast to them. After using this toothpaste for two weeks, I can see that after brushing my teeth they definitely look more shiny & polished. But do they look whiter? Not that I can see.
This is really not a bad toothpaste, even though it has no fluoride. It doesn't taste bad; it just hasn't whitened my teeth much. After giving this toothpaste a few more weeks I'll update this review. I think I'll be moving on to Crest White Strip, even though I think they're about $30 a box. Follow-up 1/18/05: May have *slightly* whitened teeth. Probably more noticable change with whitening strips. Will try those.

Popular Other Products