April 20, 2014 | 1702 users online

Other - Tom's of Maine - tartar control & whitening toothpaste

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2005 9:18:00 AM More reviews by Perky1505

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Great toothpaste! Cleans my teeth well and freshens breath ... I didn't have any "break-in period" regarding taste, etc. Much better than conventional toothpastes on the market. Took to it like a duck to water. I'm on my second tube and will keep repurchasing. I would have never tried this if not for fellow MUA's reviews. Thanks a bunch!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2005 2:01:00 PM More reviews by mirawyn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been very happy with Tom's of Maine. My expectation were low for the whitening, since I have very weak enamel and definite yellowing/staining as a result, but I have seen some improvement. (On my second tube now!) Taste is pleasant, though it did take a little getting used to. I was sooo used to the heavy sweetness of regular toothpastes, but now I find the regular stuff too sweet! My teeth feel good, too, and no new cavities. (As I said, I have VERY weak enamel; I get cavities at the drop of a hat! You think I would be over it by age 31!) As a bonus, I have sensitive teeth, and this has seemed to help with that. Overall, I think it has a great balance between cleaning power and gentleness to your teeth. And I really like the metal tube.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/8/2005 1:40:00 PM More reviews by Soonersonia

I bought this product because I had heard good things about the line of natural toothpastes and wanted to try one. I picked this one from the slim pickin's they had to offer at Wal-Mart. When I got it home and read the packaging closely...NO FLOURIDE!! Do you guys know what fluoride does?? 1st, in adults it protects the tooth's enamel from losing minerals and becoming weaker, and 2nd in children, fluoride actually becomes part of the mineral structure and helps teeth become stronger. Please don't let your kids use this toothpaste, find one with fluoride. As far at the taste and everything else that attract people to this toothpaste is decent. It doesn't have the very saccharine-y taste of regular toothpaste and that is very pleasant. I know this sounds gross, but I found while I did use it for about two weeks, it gave me worse morning breath that when I use a regular toothpaste. In the morning it's good though b/c I don't particularly care for a strong over the top minty toothpaste. I may repurchase a different kind of Tom's (one with fluoride) for use when I'm just not feeling like super minty toothpaste like first thing in the morning or when I've been sick. But at night I need a toothpaste with a little more umph.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2004 7:08:00 AM More reviews by espoir

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is pretty much the ONLY fluoride-free toothpaste at most drugstores and supermarkets, but it's a good one. The taste is great, fresh, and not sugary. (Finally!!) I didn't buy this for whitening effects, so I can't really comment on that. I wish they would do something about the tube though. It's a MAJOR pain to get the last third of the tube out. In response to the reviewer above me, often times between the high fluoride content in drinking water, fluoride toothpastes, and fluoride rinses, some children ingest too much. In the most extreme cases, they can actually become poisoned and develop bone problems and a whole slew of other ailments, but much more common is the development of mottled teeth (dental fluorosis). I myself have a mild case of this, so there is a reason why a product might be made without fluroride (and advertise this fact), because some parents might not want this for their children.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2004 1:14:00 AM More reviews by lil_coyote

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this stuff. No weird aftertaste. Just good clean feeling. Will definitely purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2004 9:41:00 PM More reviews by andreadb

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I like Tom's of Maine products, and the tartar control & whitening toothpaste is my favorite among the varieties of toothpaste that Tom's makes.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2004 2:12:00 PM More reviews by beautifulskin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After reading MUA reviews I bought this toothpaste thinking this would be a relatively cheap teeth whitening treatment (at $5-7 a tube) if it worked.
I think my expectations were too high. My teeth have a naturally yellow cast to them. After using this toothpaste for two weeks, I can see that after brushing my teeth they definitely look more shiny & polished. But do they look whiter? Not that I can see.
This is really not a bad toothpaste, even though it has no fluoride. It doesn't taste bad; it just hasn't whitened my teeth much. After giving this toothpaste a few more weeks I'll update this review. I think I'll be moving on to Crest White Strip, even though I think they're about $30 a box. Follow-up 1/18/05: May have *slightly* whitened teeth. Probably more noticable change with whitening strips. Will try those.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2004 5:50:00 PM More reviews by ChristenMc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading the reviews I decided to give it a try. Not having a sweet taste really didn't bother me and while brushing I was like okay just a nice foamy kind of toothpaste no big deal. But once I rinsed my mouth had a great feeling and no nasty after taste. This stuff is great and I can actually drink oj after brushing my teeth

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2004 12:00:00 PM More reviews by lil_coyote

Love it. Bought it after reading all the great reviews. I won't change toothpastes again. This makes my teeth feel so clean and there's no overly sweet flavor to it. It doesn't leave a gross aftertaste- Just a fresh feeling. I highly recommend this product!! Thanks MUA for clueing me in!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2004 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Mambar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best toothpaste I have ever used. My teeth were whiter in a week and has made my breathe smell really good. It also doesn't leave a gross aftertaste, so I can drink my tea right after brushing. I don't miss the sugary toothpastes, and I think it's great that the ingredients are all natural. I even got my Mom and BF hooked on it.