August 21, 2014 | 964 users online

Conditioner - Aveda - Clove conditioner

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2009 1:23:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have wanted to try this product for the longest time based on the reviews here. I have natural red hair that applied henna to so that it would be a dark auburn brown. I was hoping to use this product as a touch up product to darken the roots between henna treatments. I had no problems using this product. To avoid the mess in the shower I applied this to my hair wearing latex gloves at my kitchen sink. Unfornately this brought out the orangey-red highlights in my hair that I had put the henna on in the first place to cover. Just did not work for what I wanted. I would not consider it a traditional hair conditioner as it really is to deposit color and not condition hair.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2009 9:10:00 AM More reviews by sakecat22

When people say this stuff stains, they aren't kidding. Hands. Nails. Shower curtain. Bath tub.....

What it doesn't seem to stain - my grey hairs. Which got BRIGHTER!!!! Even after 4 uses. I'm hoping it's just me....

I have to use an obscene amount of this product during each use. Admittedly, I have long hair (about mid-back) - but it usually doesn't take a golf-ball size amount of product (of any formulation) to condition my hair. I can normally get away with less than 1/2 that amount of other conditioners. Even more damning, this conditioner didn't seem to make my hair any less frizzy.

Only reason for 2 lippies - it didn't set off my reactive scalp.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2009 7:35:00 AM More reviews by elleme

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm getting to the greying stage where I should really have the roots on my parting retouched every two weeks. Sometimes I don't find the time, resulting in regrowth that looks rather obvious and unsightly. So I tried Aveda Clove conditioner, noting the fact that it says it isn't for use on grey but hoping it would work anyway. I'm pleased to say that it does. After 3 weeks of use since my last dyeing session, a very slight difference is apparent between root regrowth and dyed hair but it blends in really well compared to the glaring difference I usually get. The overall shade of brown is nicer too, being rich but not at all brassy. I did find that my hair was rather dry after I used it on its own, but mixing it with another conditioner seems to work fine without negating the colour depositing effect. The only real disadvantage is that it's pricey, but considering how effective it is, I definitely think it's worthwhile and am going to keep on buying it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2008 3:01:00 PM More reviews by cosmokid

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've got mid-brown hair long hair that I colour with a rinse every 2 months to cover some cheeky greys. Since using this I've realised I've gone months without thinking that my hair could do with a recolour. This is not only a great conditioner, but it seems to blend any sign of regrowth (even the greys) and has kept my hair looking like it is naturally this great colour. If it wasn't for MUA I wouldn't have looked twice at this product.
Just be careful when using it if you have a white shower, as this stuff will stain if it gets on the tiles.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2008 2:36:00 PM More reviews by lulu1974

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

After pouring through the various reviews ( thank you !!! )on this site, I chose to buy the Aveda Clove conditioner to cover the white that has been cropping up in my 30 something head of South Asian black hair. I've been using it for 2 weeks and it's been doing a great job of blending in the greys and giving my hair a subtle, warm brown glow in the light. It does not cover the grey entirely but does a very good job and leaves my hair shiny. I leave it on for 10 mins after shampooing and towel drying my hair. I haven't had a problem with stained tubs nor skin but I've washed my hands right after applying.

It hasn't caused my scalp to break out like the John Freida brown gloss. Great product for my needs. However, the 30$ CDN price tag for this Aveda conditioner is steep , hence the 4/5.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2008 2:24:00 PM More reviews by lammtron

Quite simply the best for brightening up brown hair. It's not suitable for using everyday (and you don't need to) as the 'intensive' part of the product name refers to its colouring ability more than its moisturising properties- but you can still get a great result by mixing it with some other conditioner. One tube will last ages. Just be careful as this stuff really does dye.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 4:07:00 PM More reviews by escebola

I color my hair once every month and a half. In between dye jobs I use Aveda clove conditioner, once a week toward the end of that 1.5 month period, to keep the color vibrant. It does a great job of depositing color. Nothing too OTT, just a little oomph that can keep me from going to the salon more often.

Having said that, I find my hair gets dirty faster when using this conditioner (maybe I'm using too much) and that it actually doesn't condition very well. My hair doesn't detangle as well as when I use my regular Kerastase conditioner. I try to get round this by using Kiehl's leave in conditioner after the clove one.

So, all in all. I like this product. Can't rave about it cause the conditioning properties are quite disappointing, but I'll def. purchase it again, cause it does a gerat job of keeping my hair color vibrant in between dye jobs!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2008 3:46:00 AM More reviews by eyewristchin

This product is great! I only used it once and it transformed my virgin Asian hair into luscious chocolatey goodness. Weelllll.. that's not ENTIRELY true... it's not completely luscious but it does feel A HELL LOT more healthy and only after ONE use!! There are tints of brown in my hair that looks amazing and after I iron my hair it is even more light reflective! It's great and it smells like herbal tea. I don't know why everyone complains about the nasty and strong scent because after I use the conditioner, I shampoo and the scent fades instantly.

anyway bottom line, if you're asian, want good hair, have never dyed your hair, and want some brown in it, go buy this NOW

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2008 8:44:00 AM More reviews by foreverxsummer

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of my haircare staples. I love everything about this conditionner. First of all, let me say my hair is naturally very dark. I don't dye it or anything. So I was skeptical when the Aveda lady told me it would still work for me. I have been hooked ever since. It makes my natural color even richer, the squeeze bottle is really handy, and my hair is soft, smooth and knots-free. However, if you find clove to be an unpleasant smell, you might think again before buying this: the smell is very strong (and in the hot shower it's even worse). I gladly deal with it and I couldn't be more satisfied about a conditioner.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/6/2008 4:54:00 PM More reviews by aleaster

You might think this is an expensive product, but it will reduce salon color touch-ups so much that you'll actually save money! At least that's what happens for me. I begin using about 2 weeks after getting hi/low lights, just when color starts to fade a little and become brassy. I towel dry my hair after shampooing, mix Aveda Clove with a little everyday conditioner, and leave on for about 5 minutes before rinsing. Salon fresh color for another whole week! Also, sometimes I mix with the Aveda Madder Root (red) conditioner to warm up the brown a bit. The scent isn't great (explaining the 4 rating), but that's just my opinion and it's not so bad that it outweighs the benefits.