April 23, 2014 | 1976 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Miss Dior

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2011 5:57:00 PM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh dear me! I have worn this for years and am now reviewing the newer version edt. I remember a breathaking chypre, sexy, mossy and warm. This is not only lacking in oakmoss as expected but also seems to have developed a harsh metallic edge. I will still buy as it has echoes of its former loveliness, but this once beautiful lady has had her face lifted too often and is now overtightened and harsh - sad.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2011 3:38:00 AM More reviews by Shanplum

A very classy sweet and slightly musky fragrance which I have always secretly loved - old but I like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2011 4:51:00 PM More reviews by jod84

i got a tester of this after buying a dior brush set and it's lovely. a very sweet girly Fragrance that lasts all day and the packaging is cute just like all dior products. i think im going to talk my bf into buying me the full size :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2011 9:18:00 AM More reviews by Loufi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

1) Wonderful for overcast days and congested sinuses.
2) Has a very specific mood, upper-crusty, cerebral and melancholic (from a time melancholy wasn't a shame to be obscured by pharmaceuticals).
3) Not for teenyboppers and girls who want to appear all clean, candylike and cheerful.
4) Haunting mix of moss, greens, patchouli and woods.
5) Strongly reminiscent of Guerlain's Vol de Nuit - but less floral and soft.
6) Use a light hand!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2011 2:42:00 PM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh my, this is a strong pungent smell! Its called 'miss dior' but i think its smells, as other reviewers have mentioned, rather heavily granny! I really can't get over how strong it is! Its a warm, rich evening scent which, like most CD perfumes, makes me cough. Its kinda like the perfume version of having a strong drink and there is an element of manly aftershave about it, lol. The CD quality is there, but its not a very versatile fragrance its really only for old fashioned glamorous evenings.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2010 12:19:00 PM More reviews by neveranaddict

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Sweet, boring, old fashioned, from granny's youth. The retro unimaginative packaging makes this fragrance so dull and boring that it's not worth the money. I'm not even sure they manufacture it anymore.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2010 11:35:00 AM More reviews by Andee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Spritzed this at Saks. I am not a fan of the newer, sugarpop fragrances in pretty girly colors. After reading the reviews, this sounded interesting. On me, this smelled old lady. Since I am an old lady (60), that is the last way I want to smell. I want to smell modern, sexy and sophisticated. Sorry, not a nose, so cannot identify the individual components. But I read it had some of the same notes as other fragrances I like or have enjoyed in the past. So, I was very disappointed. The dry down is somewhat better than the initial scent.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/2/2010 5:49:00 AM More reviews by lalki1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Too powdery, too old fashioned, too mossy. I love the classics but this one is just old.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2010 6:57:00 PM More reviews by CRosieB

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a classic fragrance for the woman with class and elegance and yet, a woman who is approachable. It goes on with a bang of greens and florals and aldehydes, but the drydown IS TO DIE FOR :) I rue the day it is no longer available

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2009 10:25:00 AM More reviews by violette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Don’t be put off by the very green & aldehydic opening, because the drydown is PURE HEAVEN. When that oh-so-gorgeous, soft, creamy, powdery & leathery cloud hits your nose some 15-20 minutes later, it suddenly becomes clear to you why this iconic chypre has withstood the test of time. FYI, I've never been a fan of chypres before this (always preferring richer, heavier orientals), but I have Miss Dior to thank for making me a convert (& for introducing me to the wonderful world of classic scents) -- I'm just sooo hopelessly in love with it & definitely see myself buying a full size bottle once I've used up my 5ml EDT. Beautiful, classy, elegant, demure, polished, regal... this, to me, is Grace Kelly in a bottle.

EDIT (9/14/09):

Forgot to mention that the EDT I’m reviewing is from circa ‘96/’97. I'm absolutely devastated & furious to learn that Miss Dior was reformulated (yet again!) last year (or was it 2 years ago?) to comply with the recent preposterous EU restriction on the use of oakmoss in perfumery, resulting in our grand dame now having been mercilessly stripped of all the beauty that made her a beloved icon & bestseller for over 60 years (& deservedly so). The once elegant & distinctive lady is said to have now been reduced to a GENERIC (gasp!), withered ghost of her former glorious self, butchered beyond all recognition (*weeps*). To read more about this latest tragic casualty in the classic chypre kingdom, go to this link: http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/love-and-death-of-miss-dior.html. In the meantime, I'll be holding on to my precious 12-year-old miniature & treating it like liquid gold until the day comes (soon, I hope!) when I will finally have the $$$ to horde all the vintage bottles I can find on eBay. Pray to God there will still be plenty of ‘em floating around online then, because the very thought of having to say “au revoir” forever to my newly found love is just TOO damn depressing! WHY OH WHY didn't I discover Miss Dior much, much earlier in my life??!!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No