DHC Velvet Skin Coat

3.8

cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI / trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica, propylparaben

on 3/18/2012 2:02:00 PM

This product is a lifesaver for those of us with large pores. If you have oily skin, it won't take that away though now they have a non-oily matte formula of the same type of product. It goes on super smooth and fills in pores so your makeup covers perfectly. One tube lasts forever.

on 3/17/2012 6:59:00 PM

This product does what it claims, plus I also I use it differently than directed. I mix it with foundation to make the makeup go on smoother. Velvet Skin is very expensive, but it does allow me to use less foundation than usual, and a little goes a long, long way. It really improves the blendability of MAC Pro Longwear, which can dry really fast and leave visible edges if applied straight from the bottle. I also combine it with Armani Luminous Silk, because that foundation looks less smooth than I like on my difficult skin. I also like that my face stays shine-free a lot longer with Velvet Skin.

on 3/6/2012 6:26:00 PM

I got several samples of this from the DHC catalog and a few other swappers.
So...I thought this product was going to feel disgusting based on my own judgemental assumption....boy was I wrong! I loooove the feel of it and the way it goes on sooo smoothly! These type of primers in general tend to feel a tiny bit heavier than the kind that are oily/watery feeling to the touch - but IMO I like them much better. It's almost as if choosing to put oil or velvet underneath your makeup. I choose velvet ;)
The price is RIDICULOUS for such a small tube, BUT I don't mind - I love the product, so I'll continue to purchase it :)

on 12/2/2011 10:22:00 AM

Took the sample off a catalog. Don't know what it does for wrinkles/pores etc , don't have any but did nothing for oil control and skin felt smothered. Washed off and used regular trans powder and looked great. don't know what purpose this is supposed to server?? put on my eyebrows

on 11/29/2011 8:17:00 PM

This is my hands down favorite primer. I've tried several others including Sephora and Smashbox as well as the Monistat everyone raves over. I liked Smashbox but it broke me out, this one doesn't. I still prefer this one over any other. It is a pain since you have to order it but it performs better than any other I've tried.

on 10/21/2011 1:49:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I was a primer virgin until I got a sample of this product in the mail. Now I can't imagine wearing foundation without it! My skin is softer, smoother, and less oily than with foundation alone. One tiny complaint is that it feels a little drying in some areas.

on 7/25/2011 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is another one of those products that I oh-so-slyly mentioned to my mother-in-law, "You know, if you want to get me something I REALLY use for Christmas..."

I believe I mentioned going to Hell in one of my other reviews. Yep, I'm going.

I had used several sample of this from the DHC catalog and they oddly ranged from creamy smooth to thick and almost flakey. I think it depends on the age of the primer and if you use the packet more than once, air gets to it and dries it out.

In the tube, however, it maintains the creamy consistency necessary for a pore minimizing, eyeshadow-adhering, fine-line filling primer. Oddly enough, if I'm going to use it for filling in the dreaded "11s", I prefer it to be drier as it spackles those suckers in like no one's business.

However, currently I use VSC as a fine line reducer and eyeshadow primer. It does leave your face a little coated feeling, especially if you are like me and only wear powder with no foundation.

Not too difficult to wash off. I don't like feeling like I need a belt sander to remove stuff that is supposed to make me pretty.

Expensive? Hell yes, but not if your hubby's mom is buying it. ;)

on 7/23/2011 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is my HG for primers to use instead of foundation. It glides on with ease. Just a dime's worth, and my whole face is covered. And it really does make my pores disappear. It doesn't disguise blemishes as well as another primer I've tried, since it is opaque and not tinted, but I tend to want to use this on good skin days anyway. When my skin looks near good enough to go without, this primer is all I need to keep me looking nice all day. The drawback is it is a silicone product, which means careful washing at the end of the day to make sure it is all gone. But it's worth it for the fresh, dewy look. I'll keep buying this as long as they keep making it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

This product does exactly what it advertises. It fills in pores and makes your skin feel like velvet. Unfortunately, it broke me out. This would be HG status if it wasn't for that.

on 4/19/2011 9:18:00 PM

I have gone from NEVER using primer to considering this HG status in 2 uses!! Recently I have been discovering the world of primers and this, along with UD Primer Potion, have introduced to me the beauty of being able to pull off brilliant, bold, makeup that I never thought I could do. Eyeshadows, and liners stay bright and in place. At the end of the night I don't look like I just slept in my M/U! But back to this product, using DHC's primer makes me feel like I have a beautiful, fresh, poreless canvas to begin with. It's gentle, no fragrance, and hasn't clogged my pores. I can actually get away not using foundation, just concealer for blemishes and powder! If I do wear foundation, it looks flawless...Loving this!!!

Popular Primer/ Correctors