April 19, 2014 | 1611 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Mason Pearson - Handy Bristle & Nylon Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2003 6:47:00 PM More reviews by jacqsantora

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love my Mason Pearson Brush! I have had mine for over 7 years and it is still in great condition. I started off cleaning it the EXACT way they tell you - but now i basically just get it totally wet and it's held up. Well worth the money - especially if you have long/fine hair that breaks easily. Mason Persons do not break your hair - it can take a little bit longer to get out tough knots with it, but it's totally worth it - because if you use it frequently, you will end up with less horrible knots!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2003 1:29:00 AM More reviews by NancyT

I caved in to the mass hysteria among elite hair stylists who all rave about these brushes and forked out a ghastly amount (something like $150 or so) for my Mason Pearson. I think I've used it twice. I suppose it's ok for brushing, but it's useless for styling. Its only strong point is its charming retro look. Bah, I guess it's a status symbol, but one I regret coveting.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2003 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Belle_de_Jour

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Works very well for children who hate to have their hair brushed!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2003 1:11:00 PM More reviews by missm

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This brush has made my life so much easier. I have super fine, long hair that tangles so badly when wet. I have memories from childhood of my mom combing out my hair for what seemed like hours, and it hurting so much as she combed out all the snarls. Until this brush, it could take me up to 10 minutes to comb through my hair with a wide-toothed comb. My stylist used this Mason Pearson brush to comb out my hair when wet, and it took only a couple of minutes and was completely painless and easy! It also doesnít tear the hair and itís very gentle. I love this brush and couldnít do without it. Itís truly heaven-sent!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2003 9:04:00 PM More reviews by KitKat17

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't imagine ever using another brush. It was well worth the money because it's lasted about four years now and it looks new. Great for getting tangles out of wet hair and totally non-irritating to the scalp. It's even good for styling. It's an awesome product. UPDATE: I must be getting cheap in my old age because this brush is finally starting to look old - bought about 8 years ago - and they are now selling it for $150 and as great as this brush is, that is practically obscene. I bought this brush for about $70 in 2000. I came to MUA to look at reviews for an alternative brush. I'm also saying no, I wouldn't buy this brush again; not at this price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2003 5:15:00 PM More reviews by casia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My hair has got to be the worst on the planet. So unruly and crazy! It would be damaged if I never had anything chemical done to it in my life. It's naturally frizzy/curly/who knows what's next, and I blow it straight. I broke down and got this brush. It made a huge difference! I didn't realize it until I used my old brush--yuck. It was a "hair glide", not a hair brush, it just went over the surface. The MP brush really grabs the hair, esp. elpful when pulling it straight for drying. My hair is easier to style and in better shape. If you have the $70, go for it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2003 10:09:00 PM More reviews by gambitlizard

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love my Mason Pearson brush! Makes my hair look smooth and shiny. As my friend says, it makes your hair look like movie star hair.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/12/2003 9:07:00 PM More reviews by leinicny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had always wanted a Mason Pearson, but could never bring myself to pay the hefty asking price. Finally, I felt like my hair and I deserved a treat and I picked one out.
I cannot say for sure whether it's really as good as all say it is, it certainly isn't magic, but for those with a sensetive scalp its perfect. I am not one of those, but I certainly do not regret the purchase. In the store, I tried out all of their natural bristle brushes, and the Mason Pearson was, without a doubt, far and away the best of the lot. I have fairly fine hair, and not an execptional amount to brush through thickness wise, but it's pretty long and i find that I'm not so happy with it unless I follow a brushing with a comb. Also, I keep around an inexpensive brush for when my hair is wet, from fear of damaging the Mason Pearson, and also because it's not so great at going through wet and tangled hair. Also the same goes for when I have just applied styling products, I don't want the chemicals to damage the rubber. So while I enjoy having such a famous luxury brush, it's really more of a silly thing. For my mother, however, it's really perfect because her hair is much thinner, so there is very little to go through, and little protcting her scalp (but she does have a full head of hair)
Overall, the brush is not truly worth the money, but I am, so it's ok : )
Back again... after owning the brush for a number of months, I must admit that I only pull it out when I feel like pampering myself which sugests that it was not a sensible purchase... it is a status symbol, and thats pretty much it, so I don't feel right recomending it. Would give 2.5 if it were an option.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2003 5:08:00 PM More reviews by JH1016

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I too gave in after reading the reviews on this brush and I am NOT one bit disappointed. Mason Pearson make THE best brushes because they don't rip through your hair like vent brushes and combs and they leave hair shiny and much more manageable. I have a thick head of fragile bleached hair and the handy mixture glides through my hair with ease, gently untangling my hair. I know they say the reason MP brushes are so great is because the boar bristles re-distribute the natural oils on the scalp but I also really believe it has some kind of anti-static properties too. There is an instant smoothing to my hair after brushing. On another note, if your hair is already naturally shiny and healthy then you might not notice much of a difference after using these brushes. It does feel sooooo good on your scalp though!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2003 12:53:00 PM More reviews by chopstix888

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this brush does work well. i notice that it doesn't pull on my hair at all. the reason i would not buy it again is because i don't think it's worth $100. i guess if you think of it as a one time investment since u never have to buy another brush, then it's ok.