Mason Pearson Handy Bristle & Nylon Brush

4.4

on 7/5/2005 4:30:00 PM

This is not a comment on the quality of the brush, it's quite a fine brush, but I found that the bristle & nylon was not stiff enough to penetrate my hair to the scalp. It's a pretty brush, though, but it doesn't feel quite durable in my hands.

on 5/4/2005 6:14:00 PM

I love my Handy brush! It's the best brush I've ever used (it's also the most expensive brush I've ever used, but that's a different story). Generally I have long hair, and even though my hair has no volume (it's stick straight) and it's completely limp, it's still quite a bit of work to brush through. I used to use those rectangular paddle brushes you can get from the drugstore, but the balls on the bristles would break and my hair would get damaged. I tried using a pure bristle brush (also bought from the drugstore), but it didn't actually brush all of my hair because the bristles were too soft.

This is the perfect brush for my hair because it gets to all of my hair and it doesn't hurt. It even feels like a scalp massage! This brush was as Christmas gift, but if something happened to it I'd definitely repurchase. Otherwise, I expect this brush to last as long as I do.

Edited 14 Aug 2011: My daughter has very fine hair that tangles easily; no amount of conditioner has helped and I find spray-in detangler leaves a strange texture to her hair. Recently I tried my hairbrush on her hair and it works wonders! In a matter of a few brushstrokes, her entire head is detangled! continued >>

on 1/10/2005 2:28:00 AM

I got this as a present from my parents (they found it really weird: what do you like as a birthdaypresent? A brush!). I am using it for a month now and I think I am in love with it! It is really worth the money, it gets all the knots out of my hair so easy!

Will I rebuy? I hope not having to! But if I ever loose it (keep my fingers crossed) I certainly will because I love love love it!

on 2/2/2004 3:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I bought this little gem over a year ago not long after purchasing (and adoring) my Popular size MP brush. I wanted something a bit smaller to tote around with me, and this one fit the bill. In fact, since I take it with me, I probably use it more than my orinal Popular one, but both are worth their weight in gold since they can get through my thick, naturally wavy-to-curly hair (which most brushes can't). Not to mention this brush makes my hair super shiny on days when I've straightened. A great investment. No regrets.

on 11/16/2003 1:24:00 AM

I got mine off of Ebay. I'm so glad I didn't have to pay retail. I love this brush. I got it right after a bad perm and it was heaven sent, because nothing could get through that rat's nest. Now my hair is back to normal (fine and straight) and I still love it because it never hurts or breaks my hair.

on 6/30/2003 6:47:00 PM

I love my Mason Pearson Brush! I have had mine for over 7 years and it is still in great condition. I started off cleaning it the EXACT way they tell you - but now i basically just get it totally wet and it's held up. Well worth the money - especially if you have long/fine hair that breaks easily. Mason Persons do not break your hair - it can take a little bit longer to get out tough knots with it, but it's totally worth it - because if you use it frequently, you will end up with less horrible knots!

on 6/20/2003 1:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I caved in to the mass hysteria among elite hair stylists who all rave about these brushes and forked out a ghastly amount (something like $150 or so) for my Mason Pearson. I think I've used it twice. I suppose it's ok for brushing, but it's useless for styling. Its only strong point is its charming retro look. Bah, I guess it's a status symbol, but one I regret coveting.

Works very well for children who hate to have their hair brushed!

on 5/26/2003 1:11:00 PM

This brush has made my life so much easier. I have super fine, long hair that tangles so badly when wet. I have memories from childhood of my mom combing out my hair for what seemed like hours, and it hurting so much as she combed out all the snarls. Until this brush, it could take me up to 10 minutes to comb through my hair with a wide-toothed comb. My stylist used this Mason Pearson brush to comb out my hair when wet, and it took only a couple of minutes and was completely painless and easy! It also doesnít tear the hair and itís very gentle. I love this brush and couldnít do without it. Itís truly heaven-sent!

on 5/14/2003 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I can't imagine ever using another brush. It was well worth the money because it's lasted about four years now and it looks new. Great for getting tangles out of wet hair and totally non-irritating to the scalp. It's even good for styling. It's an awesome product. UPDATE: I must be getting cheap in my old age because this brush is finally starting to look old - bought about 8 years ago - and they are now selling it for $150 and as great as this brush is, that is practically obscene. I bought this brush for about $70 in 2000. I came to MUA to look at reviews for an alternative brush. I'm also saying no, I wouldn't buy this brush again; not at this price.

Popular Hair Styling Tools