April 17, 2014 | 1829 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Mega Shine Top Coat

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Nail products are, mysteriously, like mascara, super, super subjective. One person's ideal top coat, polish, or base coat may not work for another and may even cause serious problems. In my search for a holy grail top coat, I pooh-poohed Sally Hansen for a while, using lots of Poshe and Seche Vite, but ultimately SH Insta-Dri and Mega Shine really won me over. In my experience, Mega Shine is somewhat like Barielle manicure extender. It's great for prolonging wear time, but it doesn't dry multiple coats of polish super quickly. If I have the time, I wait for my polish to nearly-dry before using Mega Shine. If I don't, I use SH Insta-Dri. In any case, I apply Mega Shine every subsequent day or two of my mani to keep my nails super glossy and protect the coat. It doesn't shrink on me and I can get days out of finicky dark cremes with only slight tipwear. Mega Shine doesn't drag on the nail and has my favorite type of brush: flat, rather wide, but not the widest I've seen. My only issue, and it's a big one, is that the opaque bottle renders it impossible to tell how much topcoat is left in the bottle. A clear, rounded bottle would be much less annoying as it runs low.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2012 10:26:00 PM More reviews by starrywingz

Have you ever looked at your nails and wished that you could shellac them? I have. My nails always chip during the first day no matter what I use. This was the answer to my problem. I find it to be rather quick drying. Ok, so it isn't as fast drying as Seche Vite or Insta-Dry but it is pretty fast and it works better. I slightly buffed my nails, applied a base coat, two coats of nail color, and used this top coat. The results were strong, chip free nails. It also gives my nails a nice shine. The shine is not over the top but it works for me. I found this lil beauty hiding in the bottom of my nail polish bin. I forgot all about it. I have rediscovered it and now it is my "go to" top coat.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/13/2012 2:52:00 AM More reviews by goldandrubies

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a basic top coat that happens to be shiny. It is NOT as fast drying as the package states and it did an OK job of making my manicure last for about two days. I wouldn't buy it again because I like the Sally Hansen Insta Dry top coat better. It dries fast with no shrinkage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2012 11:15:00 AM More reviews by spyglassweb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

not sure why the reviews are so low on this product. I think it is amazing! I am hard on my nails and my polish lasts for at least 5-7 days. Sometimes I put a second coat on 3 days in to get to the seven days. The shine is OK, not super shiny, but I like the amount of shine I get. The biggest plus is the staying power and also my week nails grow a little longer when using this product. Definitely, worth a try and not very expensive ,

Also, I am not sure why the other women are having the problem of streaking and messing up their polish. I use a very thick coat and kind of let it glide on, like they do in the salon. I can see it disturbing the polish below if you use a thinner coat where the brush is scraping the polish, but that would happen with any top coat

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2012 1:47:00 AM More reviews by loopymonkey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've picked this up for 3 in The Factory Shop. I was a choice between this and Kwik Dry and after reading the reviews on the latter I'm glad I picked this.
I've only been using this for a short time but I love it. I usually just use a clear polish and I can really tell the difference using this. I don't think it gives any extra shine but I purchased for it its chip resistant qualities anyway of which I am impressed with, I just hope it stops my Sinful Colors polish from chipping so quickly.
The packahing is opaque so you cant see how much product you have left but other than that I'm happy so far.
*edit* *edit* *edit* *edit*
Its hard to tell how much I have left as you cant see through the bottle but Im guessing I'm pretty low on it as I have to tilt the bottle to get any product and I plan to buy it again. Yes it had gone gloopy but it still works well and my initial comment on it not giving much shine was hasty, some of my polishes look like gels after applying this. I just wish I could see how much product was left.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2012 10:57:00 AM More reviews by Jacinda73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have mixed reviews of this product. I used to live by it. I am obsessed with doing my nails and getting just the right products. I came across Mega Shine years ago and never looked back. It corrected any minor mistakes on your 2 coats of color. Any bubbling, streaking etc you may have had seemed to just disappear when you applied this top coat. You also didn't have to wait for your polish to dry like you do with most top coats. It dried in minutes and the shine is incomparable. With that being said it seems something has changed in this last year. I buy this product quite often because it does get a little thick after a month so I would run out and get more so I will always have some on hand. The last 5 or 6 times I have purchased this it has destroyed my work every time. It's applying way to thick & the bubbling is ridiculous. I'm not sure if they changed the ingredients or the composition....whatever, but, something is definitively different with this product. I think that is why the reviews have have been changing. I don't want to give up on it. At first I thought maybe the bottle I bought had been on the shelf to long, but, it continued to happen. I never thought I would say this, but I think I need to find a new top coat.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2012 8:42:00 PM More reviews by VintagePro

This stuff is the BEST way in the world to ruin a perfectly good manicure.

Having read all the other reviews, I applied this in a thick coat. I got streaking, bald spots, and wrinkling. Oh, and outrageously HUGE shrinking. A complete disaster.

I wanted to give this one a completely fair shot, so I removed my nail polish and started over. I applied polish to one nail and waited several hours so it was completely dry. I didn't get the wrinkling, but it streaked and shrank again.

There may be some trick to getting this stuff to work like those who give it such positive reviews say it does, but it's totally not worth the effort. A good product ought to work with ease. Any product this hard to learn to use is a dud in my book. If I could give it -5 lippies, I would.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by frezgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

THIS DRIES QUICKLY, BUT YOUR NAILS MAY LAST YOU 2 DAYS IF EVEN THAT!! SECHE VITE IS STILL THE BEST ONE IVE USED.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2012 9:52:00 PM More reviews by gabba

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

It really is the best. I love shiny nails, who doesn't? It leaves your nails looking a million bucks. When combined with a nicer polish like OPI it does last pretty well. Also want to mention again, I love that shine. It has real diamond and platinum powders in it which is cool enough on it's own.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/24/2012 7:15:00 PM More reviews by whitneyst

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had purchased this because I was in desperate need of a top coat since I had run out. The price I had paid was around $8-9 at duane reade, which is a little bit on the expensive side considering this is a drugstore products. ( the price varies fro different drug stores)
The application of this top coat is really smooth, and i like that it is not super thick. (however after a couple weeks did get slightly thicker) I also really like the wide flat brush, which makes application very nice. The finish of it was super glossy and dried within a minute just like the packaging said.
However, there are downsides. The first one is the bottle itself. I hate that the bottle is completely opaque, which means you can't see how much product is left in it. Another one, is that although it says it can last "up to 10 days", it does not. I personally, change up by nail polish quite a lot so this isn't a problem, however it might be for some people. It makes my nail polish peel after about 3-4 days. It also starts to wear away at the tip.