April 20, 2014 | 1087 users online

Lip Treatments - The Body Shop - Lip Butter - Mango

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2011 11:51:00 PM More reviews by Twinkly1216

So originally my review for this was going to be a 2 lippie and a definite no-buy...now it's a 3 lippie (really 2.5...they really should let us do halves...) and a yes-buy. I'll explain.

The scent in this is fantastic. While the mango is subtle and it's mainly a citrus scent, it smells wonderful.

The lip butter itself is indeed very soft and applies almost like a light oil on your lips. It is unlike the korres lip butters in that it is softer and does not grab onto your lips. It is also unlike the korres lip butters in that I don't find this moisturizing at all whereas I love the moisture the korres lip butters provide (best I've tried).

Now to be fair, the first couple of times I tried this stuff I really thought I had found a fantastic smelling dupe to the korres lip butters. It was moisturizing and even softer than Korres and I loved it! Then after awhile I started noticing that my lips were actually chapped AFTER this faded from my lips even when they weren't chapped when I put this on. This was actually drying out my lips to the point of making them flake! Plus, on my lips it didn't even feel moisturizing, it just felt like a light layer of oil and when I pressed my lips together the flakes would be very noticeable. Gross. I couldn't even put lipstick or lipgloss over this.

So now onto why I am giving this 3 stars instead of 2.
#1. This is great to exfoliate your lips with because after applying, it will bring out the flakes in your lips. Simply rub your lips with a paper towel (or whatever you'd like) and then apply an actually moisturizing lip balm or lipstick or whatever. It makes your lips super soft and exfoliated.
#2. If you get enough onto your finger you'll notice that it's a little bit creamy colored and not completely clear. This makes an excellent 'gloss' for your lips if you really like the lipstick color you have on and you don't want to cover it up. Plus, this will actually be moisturizing on your lips over a lipstick (odd, I know). Also, because it's not 100% clear, it adds a nice creamy touch to your lipstick and makes it look very polished and nice.
#3. It really does smell nice.

So that's it. If you're looking for a moisturizing lip balm, please don't buy this. If any of those three things above interest you, then go for it. I will possibly by this again when I run out just because I enjoy using it as a moisturizing, non-gloopy gloss over my lipsticks.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2011 7:57:00 PM More reviews by Zaiynab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It smells delicious, but that's the only good thing about this product. All 2 lippies are for the smell, lol! It does not moisturize my lips very well at all. It seems to just sit on top. My cheap drug store lip balm moisturizes waaaaay better.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2011 12:18:00 PM More reviews by jojo2739

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this a few year back but I still have almost half pot since I only use it in winter as lip treatment every once in a while, and it's not convenient to use especially when you have long nails.

The scent is good and it does it's job but from time to time you'll find white residue when you apply it.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2010 7:30:00 AM More reviews by Yuu

This should have gotten a 2 but by mistake of the cashier I got it for $1! and that is an absolute steal (I realized this when I got home, makes up for the SA trying to rip me off on my free gift with $45 purchase)

It's been years since I got this on a whim at the checkout counter but it's still got more than half left in the container, and it's lost it's original scent. When I first got it it was an amazing real mango scent. Now it smells like something that used to be mango...

It's really hard to put on especially if you have nails(pretty much everyone). Because they made the pot so high the angle your finger needs to be to get at it exposes it to more of your nails. Somehow it also attracts a lot of dust fibers... eww.

In the pot it's quite stiff... much like real butter when it's cold. The texture when applied is greasy but does nothing really for your lips and also evaporates fast. In fact. the skin on my lips starts to flake off after this stuff dries. Sometimes I also get a white-ish residue at the corner of my lips from using this.

I can't believe this sells for $8. It's also turned me off lip butters forever so I obviously won't be buying it again and for such a ludicrous price.

Points for the smell, cute jar, and the price I was charged.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2010 8:09:00 PM More reviews by Lilsingsong3

This product is great for a one time use! I mean, I truly love this product. It leaves your lips feeling soft and moisturzed. But once your lips are active-Talking and such, the lip butter will start to move to the sides of your mouth and form a gooey white spot :o
It's kind of gross. But other than that and having to wipe it off every 5 minutes, it's pretty good.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2010 6:04:00 AM More reviews by veritykrall

The Body Shop Lip Butters are hands down the best lip balms out there. Being a lip balm addict, I have tried sooo many lip balms, and these are the best. By far. Mango has the same gorgeous moisturising properties and amazing smell as all the others. However, unlike some, I don't find that this one leaves a white residue at all. So if you're someone who wants to try these but doesn't like the residue, I would suggest Mango.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2010 3:00:00 PM More reviews by IvyRhine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have an almost full pot of this just sitting in my drawer. It does smell good, but I agree it leaves a white residue on lips. Also - THE TASTE. Yes, I can taste it even just having it on my lips, and it's terrible. I've never been able to taste lip balm before (at least not in a bad way) but this is really bad. I need to brush my teeth or chew gum after using it. I can hardly even say anything about the moisturizing properties of this - I had to take it off straight away!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2010 10:24:00 PM More reviews by thriftesfai

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Black

Two lippies purely for the awesome scent. It smells sooo good, I cannot get over it. It would be perfect if it moisturized though. But it didn't. It kind of dried out my lips and left them feeling weird and with residue. Oh well. Maybe I'll use it on top of a moisturizing lip balm.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/24/2010 3:38:00 PM More reviews by blueskies

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received this as a gift recently. Having tried TBS's Lip Butter in 'Nut' scent a few years ago (and having found it highly disappointing!), I didn't hold much hope for this one. Again, this product has a nice smell, but a not-so-great texture, and zero moisturizing ability. Quite overpriced, too. Would not recommend this.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/13/2009 8:59:00 PM More reviews by qtpie90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The mango scent is absolutely delicious, can't get enough of the smell. However, the consistency and texture is horrible. Dries out your lips after awhile and makes them flaky. Also, in cold weather, it becomes all hard and dry, whilst in summer, it just melts. Would prefer a stick to the pot, not very hygenic with all the finger dipping.