December 18, 2014 | 1681 users online

Eyeliner - Guerlain - Loose Kohl

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2007 10:06:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Oh how I do so love these loose kohl powders!! I used to use Moroccan kohl every day or Indian or Pakistani kohl, until I discovered that they have lead! After that I tried this Guerlain kohl which is definitely safer and healthier for me and my family as we will not suffer from lead poisoning using this Guerlain kohl! At first I was somewhat disappointed with this product as it didn't have the exact same colour as the Moroccan kohl which was a very beautiful charcoal grey colour with sparkles. But I got used to the darker more intense shade of the black Guerlain kohl, then I loved it more than any other eyeliner that I have, as it not only is super fast and easy to apply but it also gives a sultry exotic look no other eyeliner can achieve. I apply it using the Eastern method of course, after years of practice using Moroccan kohl, I apply it looking downwards into the sink so any excess powder falls into the sink and not on my face! It's true that no matter what you do some powder will always fall underneath your eyes and smudge a little bit, but that only adds to the exoticness and smokiness and sultriness of this eyeliner. I don't have a lot of problems with this and I think perhaps it is because I use a powder concealer under my eyes and that sort of controls smudging and fixes things in place a bit. It is very quick and easy to use and in spite of being the quickest eyeliner to apply it also gives just about the most unusual and beautiful and original look around. I love it so much that I just got 2 more colours (brown and a LE called Oriental bronze which is sort of a khaki green with golden sparkles) since there is a sale right now and I also plan on getting the blue and any other colours that ever become available. With such a supply it would be almost unnecessary to ever have to buy any other eyeliner again! (Well almost, because I'd get bored always using the same thing all the time!)

rated 3 of 5 on 10/30/2006 2:34:00 AM More reviews by rose_idyllic

I must admit I was attracted to this product because of its wonderful packaging. When I tried it on, the colour was very dark and deep, just what I was looking for. However, when I use it on my inner rims, it fades away very fast and unequally(meaning part of my rims have more powder on them than others). It's very difficult to apply because no matter what you do, the loose powder will fall off the stick and onto your skin, ruining your makeup. It's very pigmented and thus, it's hard to remove without smudging it all over and making it look worse. When I used it on the outside rims, its staying power wasn't any better. That's probably because it's a loose powder and doesn't stay put on your face, but rather fades and rund down toward your cheeks. It was a dissapointing product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2006 10:51:00 AM More reviews by ziebam

I am not a fan of these. I keep buying them, never using them and then wonder why i keep buying! These loose kohls come in a beautiful container, a angled tube with a ornate gold handle. Very unique. (although Physicians formula came out with a similiar tube for their liquid liners). Inside is this stick that picks up the product for application. Its just a stick. Super hard to use. Loose powder gets all over my cheeks and makes a mess. But i could work on it if the product was any good. I bought this specifically for the inner rims. You can line the inner rims and it doesnt irritate my contact lenses. However, it doesnt last either. A few hours tops. Doesnt last on the outer rims either. So for $31 you get a product that is hard to use, doesnt last but is pretty to look it. I wont repurchase again!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2005 1:48:00 PM More reviews by Sharifa

I absoloutly adore these!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/17/2005 11:45:00 PM More reviews by merci

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I read all the reviews carefully before deciding to purchase the product. When so many of you are positive, I feel much more secure! I bought the loose kohl in black, took it home and tried it out. I am very pleased with the results and with the quality of the kohl itself. The pigment truly is strong! I think one of the best hints given is to do the eyes first so that any lingering dust can be cleaned off... Anyway - I am impressed with its staying power and feel that this product can now take the place of countless pencils that just do not perform well as eyelinerwithout tons of priming with powders etc. Makeupalley rules! I literally do not make a cosmetic or skin care purchase without consulting the reviews.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2005 9:52:00 PM More reviews by phburton

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Beautiful packaging. But there is no way I can apply this using the hard wand...so I tap some out in a tiny container and use a regular eyeliner brush to mix in a small amount of water. Voila! It changes the color almost imperceptively and makes it silky smooth with no smudging, no waste and it holds all day!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2005 12:20:00 AM More reviews by glitterpanda

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have 5 of these things. I must admit, I initially decided to collect them for ornamental value. I had to own as many as I could. I have bleu (blue), nior (black), brun (brown), pourpre (aubergine) and secret glow (white). The packaging looks like an ornament. You could hang it from a tree or as a necklace if you wanted to be strange. The khols themselves are very pigmented and beautiful colors. They are all shimmery and give an exotic look to the eye. The white one really brightens my eye and makes me feel like a cat. The black one makes me feel egyptian. The blue makes me feel like a tropical fish and the brown and aubergine ones compliment my brown eyes very simply yet intensely. These khols were a good investment. I'll never run out of eyeliner.
It did take a while to get used to the stick applicator. I am getting better at not making a mess. It really is fun to use though. I feel like the application is more effective because I am getting my top and bottom inner rims at once and I have much control at lining closely against my lash line. If you love eyelining to a fault, then you'll love these.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2005 12:06:00 PM More reviews by maret81

Hm...not certain about this. I bought this a year ago, but I hardly ever use it. Perhaps i should try it to make smokey eyes? As a regular eyeliner it just doesn't do the job. Must admit i bought it because of the devine packaging...

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2005 10:47:00 AM More reviews by blackheart

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been wearing black makeup around my eyes, ever since I was old enough to wear any. Mainly pencils as I've always hated the "made up" look of dark eyeshadows.
I was therefore really happy when Guerlain came out with a new loose khol powder. I figured it would be a nice change from my black pencils and give me a more smooky look without having to use messy black eyeshadow or hard to apply black liquid eyeliner.
I bought it a few months ago and once I applied it...I knew the product had been made for me! My initial enthusiasm over the product though, has been declining ever since. As a product to line the inner eye...it does an ok job. It definately does not stay put all day long though. Perhaps it has to do with how "wet" your eyes are (I guess it differs with each person, some have drier eyes than others). When used on the outside (to line upper and lower lashes) watch out! At first, I just assumed I did not have the right "touch" yet but with time, would get better at it. Well...it does seem like a matter of skill at all. No matter how much I tap the wand (to remove excess powder) after application, as soon as I blink my eyes once or twice, I have a grey "shadow" under my eyes. Needless to say, the "I haven't slept for weeks or heroin addict" look is not for me! If I manage to rub it away, some product still tends to remain and trust me, no matter how much I love the smoky look around my eyes (and I truly do), I could not stand having instant under eye dark circles (when I usually never do without even a trace of makeup on).
I gave this product a good three months of daily use...and still...cannot get it to stay put (besides inside the eye rim and even still, it does not even stay on any better than pencil!), or neither did I find a full proof way of avoiding it getting under my eyes (using kleenex to avoid powder spill on cheeks is pointless since when you line the lower lash, tiny particules of powder stay on the lashes and later ends up on your skin below). I will definately NOT purchase this product again. I was really excited when I first bought and really gave it a fair chance, but...I really think I'll stick to my good old kohl pencil (favorite brands are Chanel and MAC).

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2005 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Mitsouko_Claire

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wear eyeliner everyday,to such an extent that i look wierd without it now. I decided to try loose kohl so that i could get that subtle smokey look. I'd tried bad gal and found the staying power wasn't as good as it should be. This is great though, it lasts all day and doesn't irritate my stupidly sensitive eyes. Application needs practice. beware of flecks falling on your face, as they are hard to get rid of because of the high pigmentation level. I suggest holding a kleenex on your cheek whilst applying.