July 25, 2014 | 1808 users online

Top/Base Coats - OPI - Start to Finish Base & Top Coat

rated 3 of 5 on 12/21/2010 11:03:00 PM More reviews by meetmeinmontauk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This base+top coat is just ok in my book. I received it as a gift & haven't had any problems with it. I haven't seen any type of bubbling as others have described. I'm not sure that I would buy it again only because it's just ok. Still haven't found the perfect one for me, but this works just as well as my Revlon top coat which is much cheaper. For some reason the excess polish that was wiped off has crusted around the top when you take the lid off... my normal polish has never done this... which is really weird. It gets the job done but there are cheaper alternatives that will do the same thing.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/7/2010 11:53:00 PM More reviews by taylorlizette

When I plan to spend a small fortune on make-up I always read the reviews here before deciding whether to go for it or not....the one time I forget to check, is the one time I spend $24 on an absolutely awful product.

Lots of people mentioned bubbling halfway through the bottle - mine bubbled from the very start. I'm so bitterly disappointed because I thought I'd finally found a base coat that stopped stains completely. I have tried three times now, applied it with varying techniques but the bubbles are inevitable.

The positives are that it stops all stains, even with the really dark, vampy colours. And I found that the OPI colour I tried it with lasted much longer than I expected. However the bubbling problem far outweighs these positives.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

rated 1 of 5 on 7/17/2010 12:08:00 AM More reviews by merody

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I absolutely hate this base/topcoat. It's really bubbly so I have to slather on a really thick amount for it to look relatively decent. My first use was with a red nail polish, and by the end of the application I saw that the brush had tinted pink. After a few more uses (because I really wanted to give this a chance), the entire bottle had a pink tint and although it doesnt make a difference on most polishes, it is slightly noticeable on white. Also, the formula acts like a glue on the rim of the bottle, so I have to use one of those grippy kitchen jar opener things to get the bottle open almost every time.
The only things that really bother me are the bubbles, and this would actually be a somewhat mediocre base/topcoat if it didn't leave such horrid bubbles on my nails all the time. All in all, there is no way in hell I'm buying this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/18/2010 6:43:00 AM More reviews by ssun28

I have been reading MakeupAlley reviews for about 2 months now, but this is the first time I feel compelled to actually write a review myself. Like many have mentioned before me, the formula bubbles BADLY and is not glossy at all. The bubbles started showing up when I was less than halfway through the bottle. I decided to give the coat one more shot, thinking that maybe the application was a fluke and it was my fault. I had plans to switch over to Seche Vite, which is amazing, but I had no time to go out of my way to pick it up, so I settled for this for the time being. Spider web-like strings showed up when I took the brush out of the bottle and the bubbles were even worse. 8 out of 10 of my fingers are now covered with bubbly Jade is the New Black polish. I was so excited to try that color out. I am a huge fan of OPI, but I will be sticking to their color polishes. I suppose you can't be good at everything, even when you're OPI. What a pity.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2010 6:15:00 AM More reviews by champagnestars

Hmmm this is really odd, because everyone here says it bubbles when it reaches the middle of the bottle. Mine is slightly below the middle & i still find it alright! I haven't had any problems with bubbling (as of now).

I like it because it keeps my nails at it's normal color & doesn't result in yellowing at all! it helps keeps my nail colour looking vibrant after applying the top coat & helping the lasting power to increase. I really love this product!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/28/2009 1:51:00 AM More reviews by floralipke

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It bubbled when I reached the middle of the bottle. Terrible! I went through a nightmare one night and couldn't figure out why my nail bubbled like crazy. Stay far far away from this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/11/2009 3:45:00 PM More reviews by keia1113

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This didnt prolong the life of my nail polish at all. And I am upset because it was soo much damn money.

Is it just me or is it extremly hard to open? You need the jaws of life in order to open and close this thing.

waste of $10. And I like OPI nail polishes.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2009 9:44:00 PM More reviews by toots13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really don't like this. I bought for travel but it's not very good as a base or top coat. You would do much better with a separate base and top coat. Wear is a lot worse when I use this instead of a regular base coat. As a top coat it's better but smears the color a bit and then contaminates the whole bottle to be pinkish. The smearing ruins a french mani or nail art too. While I love OPI polishes, this Start to Finish is the pits especially given its cost. I have found that none of the combo base/top coats I have used have been any good. There are much better options out there for base and top coats.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/29/2009 4:19:00 AM More reviews by anamatovska

This is a decent run of the mill all in one - id rather purchase manicare or revlon. This is really glossy, but really thick. Half way through the bottle the formula went weird and got all bubbly when applied and stringy. So if you want to pay for half a bottle - go for it. I have read a few others complaining of this same and i thought it wasn't true..till now. Do not reco - unlike the np which is believe have some of the most beautiful colours out there. ;)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2009 9:31:00 AM More reviews by silver7139

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

To me this is worthless. I take my time to do my nails. For a base, 2 coats, and a topcoat I'll do it while watching an hour tv show - so i give sufficient time for everything to dry. I use this topcoat and it will chip in a day even with opi nail polishes. Would not purchase again. Expected more from a brand like opi.

oh and the brush separates from the handle and i have to pry to get it off to attach it to the handle. and i don't even leave the rim messy...