Cover Girl Simply Powder Foundation

3.9

Talc, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, Dimethicone, Dextrin, Calcium Silicate, Nylon 12, Zinc Stearate, Quaternium 15, Lecithin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Silica, Propylparaben, Methicone, Octyldodecyl Myristate, Methylparaben, Lauroyl Lysine, Glyceryl Rosinate, Iron Oxides, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Bismuth Oxychloride, May Contain:, Ultramarines

on 10/19/2012 2:18:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Several months ago I saw my mother in law (who always has great looking skin) touching up with this powder so I went out and purchased it for myself. I remembered a best girlfriend of mine using this in high school (who also had great looking skin at all times, 15+yrs ago) so needless to say this is a product that's been around for quite some time ;)
For reference I have fair/warm skin (lighter than NC15 in MAC S.F.F.) -that is combo/oily and acne/clog-prone.
CoverGirl products are very hit or miss for me, I'd recently been impressed with the NatureLuxe foundation and CG/Olay Pressed Powder(purple compact) so was hoping I would love this too..
I first used this as a finishing powder over foundation (like my mother in law) and was pleased - It's a great way to add more coverage to a lighter coverage foundation but didn't look like I was wearing a powder foundation over regular liquid. It definitely was quite natural which was nice.
Then I tried it alone as a foundation, and it's not bad at all. -Applies well, doesn't look overly powdery/cakey, didn't give a TON of coverage, but I don't need it to so that wasn't the deal breaker for me, but I do have two other issues with this product...

First off, this unfortunately gave me clogged pores. (Those darn flesh colored bumps in areas that I'm not usually prone to any breakouts) -And yes, I'm *sure* that it was indeed this product. I'm not someone that jumps the gun to blame every new pimple on a new makeup product & am quite religious with my skincare routine. I also never try more than one new cosmetic at a time - This was the only new thing I introduced, and until I discontinued use, I continued to clog-up more and more on my inner cheek/around my nose area :(

Secondly, this "Simply Powder Foundation" has the same *exact* ingredients, in the same *exact* order as the CG Pocket Powder (little blue compact) -But the pocket powder is labeled as an "oil control" pocket powder, while this is called a powder foundation and is almost $2 more in price at my local Walmart.. I don't like that they did that. -I know the cosmetics industry (or any industry for that matter) is about making money, but I don't think they should sell two products packaged differently, called different things, and priced differently with the same exact ingredients :(
So once I realized this was causing me the little clogged pores I exchanged it for the CG Pocket Powder just to see for myself if they were indeed formulated the same. I waited until my clogs from the Simply Powder Fndtn cleared up, then tried the pocket powder. It applies *exactly* the same, the shade was a bit different though (I think that's the main difference between the two powders - they have different shade choices.) The other minor difference - Simply Powder is .41oz and Pocket Powder is .37oz. But the pocket powder has a separate compartment for the sponge where Simply Powder does not.. So I guess it comes down to which line you have a better shade match in or if you prefer to store your sponge on top of your powder vs under it (like I do ;D) But unfortunately after using the pocket powder for 3-4 days, it gave me the same skin issue - clogged pores on my inner cheeks that continued to grow until I discontinued use (just as I suspected it would :-/ )

Overall, I feel like if this powder would have just given me the little clogged pore problem - I would have rated it 4 lippies because obviously just because something breaks me out, doesn't mean it's going to break out everyone else in the world with acne-prone skin :)
As I said above, my mother in law uses this daily as her touch up powder and looks flawless. Heck, I even looked pretty darn flawless before it gave me the skin irritation.
But instead I've decided to rate it at 3 lippies because not only did it break me out, it's $2 more than another CG product that is identical to it's ingredients which kind of makes me feel like they're scamming people for $2 extra every time someone purchases this vs. the pocket powder :(

Overall, I'd still probably recommend it. I really liked the finish and the light/medium coverage but instead of recommending the Simply Powder, I'd rec people the Pocket Powder version first instead because it's less in price, more sleek looking with slimmer packaging, and with the pocket powder there's that separate spot for the applicator sponge (I know we don't all always use these included sponges, but they're nice to have for touch ups).
This was just a miss for me though, plain and simple :(

on 8/11/2012 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was SO disappointed by this product. Almost everything about it is wonderful -- the coverage is good but very matte and natural-looking. It goes on quickly, easily, and smoothly. The ingredients are great and felt very light on my skin. Its oil-control properties are INCREDIBLE! It is neither drying nor cakey. It did not irritate my sensitive skin. You get a good amount of product for a fair price. It's fantastic. So why, then, did I return it to CVS? Because I bought the lightest shade (#505, ivory) and it was still way too dark. It made my fair skin look dirty. As it oxidized throughout the day, it just got worse. To be fair, I have a really unique complexion -- very light but with cool olive undertones. It's hard to find makeup that matches me well. But CoverGirl REALLY overdid it -- I don't know how THIS can be the lightest shade, since it really is very dark. I'm so disappointed. I really wish they made this with fair-skinned girls in mind, because the horrible shade selection aside, this really is a great foundation. Bummed :(

on 6/24/2012 12:19:00 AM

This is a great foundation. I like it because the price is so good, its amazingly easy to blend. It's actually very easy to sweep it on. If you have dry skin, don't forget to use moisturizer bit honestly I think this powder is kinda emollient. I like that it takes me 1 minute to put on my makeup and it feels very good and looks good.I like this better than the powder foundation I got from sephora for $42(Laura mercier)....I truly like this covergirl much better.

on 4/26/2012 9:40:00 AM

So, I had been using Palladio's Dual Wet/Dry foundation for about a week. Unfortunately it was causing little oil bumps (the ones you squeeze & all that comes out is clear) on my chin. So, luckily I kept the receipt and returned it to Ulta.

After that, I went to Target to look at some cheaper options since my husband & I are trying to cut back. Good thing, because I found out I'm pregnant yesterday. Yay -_- Anyway, I originally purchased Cover Girl Clean Sensitive Skin makeup in warm beige and this compact in Ivory. The clean makeup was way darker than expected, and the ivory looked like straight baby powder over top, so I returned the two. I then purchased Cover Girl Clean Sensitive Skin makeup in buff beige along with the Cover Girl Clean Sensitive Skin powder compact to match. The color was perfect, but maybe that's because the makeup didn't cover anything, and again the powder looked like I did crack around my nose. Needless to say I returned them again and purchased just this compact again in classic ivory. Not only does it cover what I need it to cover, controls oil, and doesn't look too powdery.

Right now, this is HG for me. We'll see after a week what it does to my skin. Updates to come!

EDIT: I realized that you cannot reapply this powder. It makes it look extremely muddy. It also oxidizes into a completely different color. I wouldn't repurchase this. This is definitely one of those instances where you get what you pay for.

I adore this powder been using it since i was about 15 so 14 yrs now LOL stick with what works i guess.
I enjoy a medium to full coverage look, this provides and extra layer of coverage over my foundation. I find the lightest shade 505 works best for me, enough color to be natural without looking like you put white rice powder on your face (which is my main issue with other CC powders).
I personally love the sponge applicator, however if it's to much coverage using a powder brush works really well too.
The only other shade i've used is the 510 which typically gets worn in the middle of summer when i'm at my darkest.
Tried many other powders throughout the years (mineral powders / Revlons CS powder - which i hate by the way, odd since i love that foundation) and always always come back to this one.
If your looking for extra coverage you should give this a go, for the price i haven't found anything that compares.

on 3/5/2012 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I like this powder because it has great coverage and To me this is a dupe for the MAC studio fix powder. For the price you can't beat it... This is probably the only covergirl powder I will use.

on 2/29/2012 5:30:00 PM

I love this product! It literally saves me so much time on my makeup routine! I have some acne scars and the occasional acne and when I put this on, my face looks almost flawless! I finish it with a light powder from Physician's Formula to achieve the perfect look. I would buy this again. The only thing weird is the container it comes in. I'm not really sure if it closes? I love this product though! It's a time and money saver!

on 2/25/2012 9:24:00 PM

Dear Cover Girl (and every drugstore makeup brand that does this),
Ivory DOES NOT MEAN ORANGE AND DARK! Last time I checked, Ivory meant very fair and pretty neutral undertoned. However, Cover Girl believes Ivory is around what seems like an orange nc15, possibly nc20. It has a pretty nice texture however, and goes on quite smooth. But yet again, I look at the ingredients list only to find that Bismuth Oxychloride "may or may not" be in the formula. I don't wanna possibly break out from that, let alone leave my house looking muddy and orange. I'll have to blend down my neck until this is gone. Sigh, onto the next powder foundation.

on 2/22/2012 2:31:00 PM

Oh Happy Day.

For years the only foundation powder I have purchased was Beauticontrol Wet-Dy Finish, all other foundations didn't give me the coverage I was wanting. I got tired of spending 22.95 for my foundation each month. I decided to try this, since the reviews here were pretty promising, and my local grocery store gives money back guarantee on any used makeup you don't like! I have got to say that I'm thrilled. It gives me pretty decent medium-full coverage and it matches my skin color perfectly. I use it with covergirls pro finishing powder and I couldn't be happier for an everyday makeup to even my skintone and cover some light acne scar pock marks! The wet/dry from beauticontrol covers faster than covergirl but with a few extra layers I can get the same results, so now I use covergirl for my everyday look and save my beauticontrol for those special occasions! 1 compact has lasted me about 4 weeks, so for $5.50 a month I can wear makeup everyday, when I was using beauticontrol before I only wore it when I HAD to because of the cost. So happy I found this product. Definitely worth giving it a try for $5.00

on 2/2/2012 5:19:00 PM

This is great. Granted I don't use it. But I have for a few days and it covers really well and didn't make me oily. Make sure to moisturize well before application. One reason I didn't continue use was the shade selection. I bought Natural Ivory I believe, and it was far to dark, then I bought the lighter one and it was a bit too light, and there's no way to mix powder foundations so I just gave up. But it does perform well! Granted, didn't use it long enough to see if I would've broken out from it but, it didn't break me out in the couple days I did use it... so who knows! Great powder foundation with great coverage. Quick and easy, swipe and go!