April 19, 2014 | 1845 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #219 Pencil Brush

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2012 3:55:00 AM More reviews by mwtai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I feel like I'm missing something. Everyone loves this brush but it doesn't seem to work for me.

I personally found the 219 to be far too big but that's an issue with my eyes ( I don't have alot of lid space ).

The other thing I didn't like was that the hairs are quite hard and they scratch! A fair bit of product I picked up with the brush also seem to fall off for this same reason.

If you don't have a lot of lid space/big eyes, go for a smaller brush. I replaced the 219 with the Laura Mercier smudge brush which works so much better for me as it allows more control and is so so soft!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2012 4:48:00 PM More reviews by julalg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I rarely use this brush, but when I do, it does the job quite well. I mostly use it for densely packing color on my lid or for creating the first gradiant in a smoky eye, and it works. It fits really well on my lid too, which makes for a fairly easy application. Always a good thing!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2012 7:22:00 PM More reviews by liangaf1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a good brush, and I am just beginning to appreciate it more. I didn't use it too much when I first picked it up, but have tried it again recently, and find it has a very specific use: applying color in the crease (which then will have to be diffused out with a blending brush) or applying color along the last line (although there are other brushes I like better for that - namely MAC 214 short shader brush - this is a great little brush - see separate review). Even though it has such a single limited specific purpose, it does it so well that I think it's worth picking up if you ever found you have a tough time with limiting color to the crease (I find most brushes are too big to do this job well or easily). And yes, you still need another brush to finish the job. But it does such a nice job of controlling how much color is applied and where. While some brushes would be nice in duplicate (blending brush, etc) I'm okay with having only one of these. I would perhaps play with it at the MAC counter or in a MAC store, but I think many people would really like it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2012 9:11:00 AM More reviews by giiorgia89

Hi girlz... I m italian.. And if I do errors.. I'm sorry. anyway.. I have only one brush from Mac.. and it's 219!!.. It's definitly amazing.. and after more of one year of utilization is impeccable!!.. It'very compact. And I use it for blend smolder pencil (every day)... and to do darker zone in the crease...!!.. If you need a pencil brush.. I reccomend this one here!! bye kiss from italy...

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2012 11:12:00 AM More reviews by birdybee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This brush changed by makeup life. It is so easy to work with while working in the crease, outer v, or lash lines. Its stiff enough without being harsh on the skin or eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2012 5:18:00 AM More reviews by ChennyPenn

At first I balked at the price, but I bit the bullet and took this baby home. Dang, that was the right decision.

This is a pretty unique brush. I believe Sigma makes a brush modeled after this one, but the MAC is bound tighter with a sharper tip. I use it to smoke out gel or pencil liner with Urban Decay Darkhorse (aka the world's best eyeshadow-over-eyeliner color), line my lower lashes, define the inner corners, and sometimes even help to wing out my shadow. I use this for pretty much everything except pack on color and cook my dinner.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2011 1:48:00 AM More reviews by TMK6959

Once again, MAC, I'm impressed.

This is probably the best eyeshadow brush I have (my Avon eyeshadow brush is a close second). With the 219 there is minimal flicking of eyeshadow dust and it easy to get excellent shadow coverage and even distribution.

I would repurchase. Reccomend.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 9:57:00 PM More reviews by zzengin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I agree with the previous reviews. This is the best brush. I use it for almost every eyeshadow application. It's great for creating a smokey effect.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2011 2:21:00 AM More reviews by Tygerlilee84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

There are a lot of makeup brushes that are very similar and do the same thing. The trick is finding the unique AND useful ones. This one is both. I love the brush because first, it's great quality-no wobbly ferrules there! Second, it's a good size. Not so teeny that it takes forever to apply color but not too big to get a small line. Third, it's firm. A lot of pencil brushes are too small and too soft. Because this one is more firm, it's more multipurpose.
I use this brush for a very well defined outer V. It's great for smudging eyeshadow under the lower lash line. But what I like to use it most for is smudging eyeliner under the lower lash line. Great brush. Very hard to dupe-they are all to big, too small, or too soft. Worth the money.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2011 4:45:00 PM More reviews by narkiz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

EDIT: I decided to give it a 4 lippie. I don't know what happened, maybe 219 decided to treat me well or maybe I decided to love it. I think this brush is perfect for smudging a pencil liner while creating a smokey look.

I don't understand how people love this. It has very hard hairs that irritates my skin. This is too thick for smudging eyeliner or placing an eye shadow along the lash line, would be better if it was thinner. Only good for defining crease but a cheaper alternative can do it also so it is not doing wonders really. I will look for better alternatives.