MAC #219 Pencil Brush

4.6

on 9/2/2012 11:48:00 AM

This was the first MAC brush I got rid of. It was scratchy beyond belief and made my eyes watery whenever I attempted smudging my liner. It also did not do a great job at smudging, as it made any liner look patchy and left gaps in between. When I started learning a little bit more about brushes, I observed it closely and more than 2/3 of its hairs were second cut ones, hence the Scratchy Central situation.
I have replaced it with a NARS #15 brush that has a completely different shape (short, flat, oval cut and wide) but does the very same job and in an excellent way. Even if this smudger brush shape is not your cup of tea, there is beautiful pencil brushes out there to give your love to instead of this one. Don't waste your good money on something below average.

on 7/21/2012 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Like all Mac brushes, this is well-made and wonderfully soft. The size/shape of it probably works great for lots of people, but I don't find myself using it very often. It seems to lay down too much color/too precise a stroke for my crease preference, and for some reason I always have fallout issues and uneven application when I use this. I actually use it more often for lining with shadow but it's a little too soft and full for that. I'll keep it because I haven't found anything I like better, but I definitely wouldn't call this one a have-to-have brush.

on 6/29/2012 5:35:00 PM

This brush is a must if you are an eyeshadow kind of person. I use it almost daily to line my lower lashes, and it's great for packing colour into the crease. It's also good for smudging out your eyeliner. I love it.

Honestly, I didn't really use it at first, but now I can't go without it. Washes beautifully, too. Get it, it has so many great uses.

on 6/3/2012 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Mac's 219 brush is simply amazing. It is so easy to work with and is great for creating a well defined "outer-v and lining the lower lash line. Picks up product very easily and spreads it like a dream.

One of my favorite brushes!

Oh, and it doesn't shed AT ALL!

on 5/31/2012 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

At first I loved this brush but after a year...not so much.
Let me explain: I find 219 quite scratching, for smudging eyeliner I prefer sponge brushes and for lining the eyes slanted brushes. So... what's the use for this one? I only use it to darken the outer corners sometimes.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I love this brush! It's dense without being too hard and I love using it to smudge out my eyeliner!! This brush is perfect for smudging out eyeliner, creating a liner with eyeshadow or just using it to draw a precise crease line. Def would repurchase!

on 3/30/2012 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

this brush is whatever, you can always find something cheaper for the same results. i wouldnt invest so much money on an eye brush where i can find the same one at the drugstore. swapped away

I wanted a good brush for smudging and crease blending.

This brush was coarse, scratched my skin, and shed like you would not believe.

I had to return it.

on 3/16/2012 3:55:00 AM

I feel like I'm missing something. Everyone loves this brush but it doesn't seem to work for me.

I personally found the 219 to be far too big but that's an issue with my eyes ( I don't have alot of lid space ).

The other thing I didn't like was that the hairs are quite hard and they scratch! A fair bit of product I picked up with the brush also seem to fall off for this same reason.

If you don't have a lot of lid space/big eyes, go for a smaller brush. I replaced the 219 with the Laura Mercier smudge brush which works so much better for me as it allows more control and is so so soft!

on 3/15/2012 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I rarely use this brush, but when I do, it does the job quite well. I mostly use it for densely packing color on my lid or for creating the first gradiant in a smoky eye, and it works. It fits really well on my lid too, which makes for a fairly easy application. Always a good thing!

Popular Makeup Brushes