August 1, 2014 | 1748 users online

Polishes - Chanel - Le Vernis Nail Colour in Vamp #18

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2007 5:58:00 PM More reviews by prettythings

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have the original Vamp (#18 circa 1994!). I decided to dust it off and wear it again as I recently cut my nails short. I was surprised to see that this deep, dark color was still very wearable. I am a french manicure kind of girl and only wear color on my toes - but I made an exception for this classic. Its a bit daring for me but doesn't look at all garish. The name Vamp really says it all (sort of a blood burgandy black color). It doesn't apply as well as I remember (I have an older bottle so its a bit thick and goopy even after adding thinner). Its ridiculously priced for a nail polish but was worth it when I purchased it as there wasn't much else like it on the market and it was a HUGE trend at the time. I won't repurchase because based on the reviews here it seems Channel has changed the color. I'm not sure why they would do this as the original color was perfect. I can't say much about how well the polish wears as my nails chip no matter what I use within just a few days. And because this is such a dramatic color for me and dark colors tend to stain even with a base, I'll be taking this polish off in a few days anyway.
Overall ratings:
Color - 5
Price - ridiculous - 0
Packaging and product quality - average - 3
Overall - 3

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2007 4:51:00 PM More reviews by Gabriel679

I love this color. I've had good luck with all my Chanel polishes. They last forever and wear really well for me. I usually don't wear Vamp on my fingernails-just toenails since I work in a conservative gov't agency and some people don't take well to that- but it always looks great. I do use a base coat with it b/c sometimes the dark colors can stain my nails over a long time period. I also notice that these polishes store really well for me- some of mine are quite old and still go on like they are brand new.

I do agree with some of the other reviewers that the "new" and "old" Vamp are quite different. I like them both- but there's something really great about the original.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/16/2007 3:17:00 PM More reviews by jujubear02

Although the price for this polish was ridiculous, I just HAD to buy it because i loved the color. As soon as I got home I immediately started painting my nails. By the next day, the paint was peeling off... I thought maybe the coats were too thick or I didn't wait long enough in between or something. Each time I've used this polish, it hasn't lasted more than a couple days... also, it doesn't apply smoothly. Maybe it's me or my nails or just this batch or something. I love the color but it really is not worth the price to me.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2007 11:44:00 AM More reviews by CyberneticGhostofChristma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I cannot get into Chanel nail polish. I bought Vamp and Ruby Slippers and they are both watery and the brush is so fine, you have to swipe a dozen times to cover a nail. For $18, this nail polish is NOT worth it.

The color is nothing spectacular, either. OPI and Essie make better colors than this.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2007 8:40:00 AM More reviews by INDICAN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I've only used the reformulated version of this color, the red one not the dark one. I like it though. It's the darkest color polish I use, but it looks sophisticated and is great for fall.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2007 8:40:00 PM More reviews by karrieleigh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have the new version (shimmer) of this polish. The color is a medium-dark purple shimmer with red tones. The finish is like hard candy or ribbon candy, very subtle shimmer. I loved the formula on this, it was like buttah, but the brush was really odd. My other Chanels don't have this problem that i've noticed, but this brush was really long and thin so that made application a little difficult. Here's my pic: continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2007 4:44:00 PM More reviews by SKYYStheLimit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like the original version of Vamp better, but this one is nice too. Just different. I've had it on for almost a week, and there is minimal chipping. The grown out parts at the bottom of my nail look worse than the chipping around the edges. I think the key is to use 3 coats. Takes a while to dry, but it's worth it. I got this polish w/ Noir Ceramic on ebay, brand new for $20, so I think I got a great deal. Full price, I would not purchase again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2007 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Andee

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was invisioning something like Essie Wicked with a little sparkle. I wanted a blackish red. When I saw the color in the store it wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I was hoping dark with subtle sparkle would wear better than a dark creme. And, I had read that the top coat was pretty good, so I bought both - Vamp and the glossy top coat. Had a mani Saturday. By Sunday afternoon, I started getting wear along the nail line. Hadn't done anything that should be hard on polish. By Monday, I had chipping. On Tuesday, I smoothed down all the chips and touched them up, applied another full coat of Vamp, waited a halp hour and applied another coat of top coat. By Wednesday, chips again. Wednesday night, one nail had to be redone completely. I'm not the busiest person in the world, but I do have a life other than my nails. On the nail I redid completely, I used Seche Vita instead of Chanel top coat. It's Thursday and that nail is holding. Maybe I'll try Vamp one more time on fingers this coming Saturday with the SV as topcoat. If I get as bad wear this week, I'm back to pale sheers.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/6/2007 2:09:00 PM More reviews by ebetty

I love this color, but that's about all there is to love with this one. I thought I would give Chanel Vamp a try because I'm a vampy polish lover in general, and this is the "original." (I make it a policy not to abuse air quotes - I believe this shade is different from Vamp's first incarnation as a blackened, blood-red cream.) It's a dark, shimmery burgundy that's actually quite interesting. From one angle, it looks like a matte blood red. Looking straight on, however, it's a shimmery, purple/wine shade. Very pretty! However, it applied rather thick and goopy, and it was difficult to get an even layer down. The thin brush, which I've never noticed or had a problem with on my other Chanel polishes, seemed to make the application even more tricky. I also got near-instant tip wear on this one (I would like to blame this on the topcoat, Poshe, but the tip wear was too uneven for that to be the case), and the finish was rather dull. It started to chip in earnest by day 3, when I finally took it off. It is a really pretty color, and I'm sure I'll use it again for that reason, but what a pain! After using Chanel Madness really recently, which applies like hot melted buttah and wears like iron, this was a real disappointment. This one is for Chanel completists only - the interesting color alone doesn't balance out the negatives.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2007 12:49:00 AM More reviews by niseixtenshi

I recently bought this at my local Nordstroms. I LOVE the color! It's a pretty-shimmery burgundy color. I have black satin and noir ceramic...and this is a nice change from black. :)