April 18, 2014 | 1608 users online

Cleansers - Burt's Bees - Orange Essence Facial Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 1:16:00 AM More reviews by elin22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

First off: I have sensitive combination skin and usually use cream cleansers. I bought this cleanser when I ran out of my usual. I was intrigued by the ingredient list as there are only about 12 ingredients, all of which are natural and recognisable. It is comprised mainly of oils and is a thick, balm cleanser that looks a little like wood glue. It smells really strongly of oranges, so it smells lovely and refreshing.

I recommend applying this cleanser to dry skin. It feels a little like smearing honey on your face but it gets easier as it warms up on your skin. As you rub it in the cleanser seems to heat up, which is a little disconcerting but this soon stops. I like to take my time to massage it in so I can make sure that it's dissolving everything. You shouldn't use this cleanser in the shower as the warm water and steam just melts it off.

When I want to take it off I heat a face cloth under warm water and lay it over my face for a few seconds. This feels nice so I usually do it a couple of times. I find this is enough to make most of the cleanser dissolve straight away. I then use the cloth to rub the rest of it off before rinsing.

This stuff, although a bit scary in texture, is amazing. It leaves my face feeling so clean and soft. I swear that the redness in my skin is reduced and my pores are smaller and cleaned out. Any dry patches are gone and my skin is left feeling moisturised so I don't have to use a moisturiser at night. I am really looking forward to using this in winter.

Some cons: I find it a bit expensive at AU$20, especially considering how much you get. Also, I don't like the way it heats up on your skin. It makes my skin look a bit red for a few minutes which makes me worry that it's causing irritation. The high level of orange oil may be a problem for those with sensitive skin. Some people may also not like the packaging as it has a screw cap.

I highly recommend this cleanser to everyone, whether you have oily or dry skin. If you take the time to use it properly it will gently clean, leaving you with soft, healthy skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2012 12:27:00 PM More reviews by OSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It looks and feels like orange (peel included) scented petroleum jelly. It's loaded with oils and fragrance. Recommended for drier skin only and the fact that it leaves a tiny bit of cushy residue will not make everyone happy. Does not dry out skin and does appear to remove light facial makeup. Works well with a clarisonic. For me, it works well once or twice a week when I'm not wearing too much makeup and I need a hydrating cleanser. I follow up with a toner and then treatments and haven't seen any problems. My big concern would be an allergic reaction since it 's so loaded with fragrance, but so far so good for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/19/2012 3:11:00 PM More reviews by missbeautyqueen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Pros:
- Smells nice
- 100% organic
- Easy to find
Cons:
- ineffective (for my skin)
- bit expensive for what you get
Overall:
I wanted to like this product. But I just don't. It didn't work for my skin type. Even though it said it was for all skin types it didn't work. But then on the back of the product it said it was for normal-dry. I liked that it was 100% organic and that it was easy for me to find. Sadly I do not like this product and will not repurchase. I don't not recommend it because it could be that it just didn't work for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2012 11:32:00 PM More reviews by luineumaiel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this product when I was on the lookout for an OCM alternative. I find using a hot, wet washcloth to wipe away the muck on your face after OCM-ing, extremely unhygenic. The trick with this product is to rub a pea sized amount all over a dry face. There's a lovely warm feeling that spreads as you rub it over your face (because of the vegetable glycerin, I think?). I massage gently for about 2 minutes, and then wash it off with tap water or warm water. It obviously doesn't lather, but when you wash it off, it does come off completely. without leaving any oily residue/film, and leaves your face squeaky clean. I have perennial jawline acne, and in 2 weeks of using this, it hasn't worsened at all, so I'm very comfortable with this. I'll keep buying this until I find a better, natural cleanser alternative (preferably something that lathers!)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2012 2:02:00 AM More reviews by glamorouskatie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

People may be put off by this cleanser because 1) it doesn't lather and 2) it doesn't give you that "squeaky clean" feeling. But I have to say, if you can get over that, this is a great product. Oil is a cleanser, too, it's just not aesthetically pleasing to us for some reason. I love the scent of this, and I love the texture. I wouldn't say it has granules in it, but it's not completely smooth. When I rinse it off, I feel like there's still a residue on my face, but once I've dabbed my face dry, it feels so soft and clean. My skin tone is also more even.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2012 2:56:00 AM More reviews by tresdivine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I swore by my burt's bees' chapsticks, and so I thought I might add this cleanser into that list of things I swear by. But, I was dead wrong. Although the product smells yummy and refreshing, and it is all natural, my skin does not like it. I guess the product is way too oily, it leaves residue and even with more washes and toner, the oil stays. Not to mention, the product breaks me out.

Off to the donation bin with you!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2012 1:56:00 PM More reviews by jinxiies

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product on a whim. I needed a facial cleanser on vacation because I forgot to bring my own, and didn't want to buy the same product I had back home. When I first tried this cleanser, I was amazed by the smell; the cleanser has a very appetizing smelling scent.

I have acne-prone, combination skin and although I did not notice this cleanser make any significant changes to my acne, it did make my face feel very fresh and healthy. The product feels very moisturizing and natural on my face and does a good job in removing makeup, however it is a little difficult to wash off completely, in my opinion. Therefore, I only use this cleanser before stepping into the shower.

Although it might have not made any changes to my skin, I would recommend this product to anyone who wants a gentle, moisturizing, natural-feeling cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2012 10:55:00 AM More reviews by sarahjeangirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this product. I had been using Clarin's Pure Melt Cleansing Gel, and found that I really liked using an oil-based cleanser at night to get all of my makeup off. That product is a bit pricey (I think about $30), so I when I saw the Burt's Bees Orange Essence Cleanser in the store (less than $10, I think!), I figured I would give it a shot. I think that it's a decent replacement; it cleans well (gets ALL the makeup off!), it smells great, and it makes my skin feel very soft. I have read that some reviewers do not like how their faces feel after use of this cleanser; I don't have this experience, but then, I only use it at night, followed by my heavier lotions/treatments. I will most likely continue to buy this cleanser since it is very affordable and does exactly what I need it to do.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/12/2012 10:14:00 PM More reviews by sdrayt1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this when I was on the lookout for a cream or oil based cleanser….something that wouldn’t strip my skin or irritate it. I started using a compound from my Derm (strong stuff) and I wanted a very gentle cleanser. I have sensitive skin, combination skin. I tried to use this cleanser twice about 2 months apart and got the same result…..IT BURNS! I mean as soon as I put it on, my skin starts to sting and made my face feel hot for a while after I washed it off. I’m assuming it’s the orange essence…whatever it is, it’s way too strong smelling and too strong for my sensitive skin. It smells like a commercial bathroom cleaner also. No Bueno.

I understand the concept of oil cleansing, but imagine smearing orange scented vaseline textured oil over your face. I didn’t expect it to foam, but it leaves a film behind that made me feel like my skin was dirty. This went in the trash because I couldn’t image anyone who would benefit from using it. Maybe if you have very dry skin that is not sensitive and you like oranges?

NOT purchasing again nor will I try again. I found Philosophy’s Purity Made Simple to be what I was looking for and I’ll stick with that from now on!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2012 11:32:00 PM More reviews by chookana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product for a little over a week now and I don't feel like it's done much for me. I've had a small break out on my cheek and I think this could be because of the oil content of the product. It does leave a thin greasy film after using it, initially I thought this was just one of the moisturizing properties of the product but after a prolonged period of using it, it's just making me feel dirty, even when using an oil control moisturizer afterwards. The only pro I can think of when it comes to this product is the orange smell, it's AMAZING! Funnily enough it even tastes good LOL.
For me personally, I feel that natural products don't have powerful enough ingredients to clean my skin thoroughly. I had the same problem after using KORA Organics, just feeling really unclean. I won't be repurchasing this product again, and I'll be staying away from all natural/organic products in general.
I'd say this would be suited to people with really dry skin and to anyone else who is wanting to try this, I wouldn't recommend using it in the morning because your face will probably be a greasy mess by midday.