September 16, 2014 | 1812 users online

Fragrances - Caron - Farnesiana

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2007 1:27:00 PM More reviews by dancingoutlaw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This smells lovely, but even when I lightly apply it I get a headache. After a couple of aspirin I can understand how this is considered a most comforting scents. Soft, sweet, powdery almonds. It isn’t a favorite for me--there are too many like it that I prefer--but it‘s really nice. I agree with the idea that it’s motherly and if hugs could be bottled, this would be it. Still, I have a sample and I believe that will be all I need.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2007 4:32:00 PM More reviews by Wyrmiax

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I don't normally think "gourmand" when I think Caron, but after a few moments of the fleshiness of cassie flower, it goes straight to almondy dough. Like it a lot, but there are cheaper versions (Doll Face, Lady Evangeline) available. If the cassie would stay around longer, it would be truly distinctive.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2007 4:59:00 AM More reviews by Judix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is funny that a perfume based on Mimosa can be all about Almonds! I just love it. It yummy yet not too sweet or gourmand in a traditional and boring way. It has a fresh aspect that allows you to wear it even when it is warm. It is comfy, I would even say soothing and yet it does not lack of class. The extract keeps more of the mimosa scent in the dry-won but the EDP is quite nice as well. Love, love, love.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2007 11:17:00 AM More reviews by ayala

Farnesiana is the cream of the crop in the world of mimosa soliflores. It is tastefully decadent, like a buttery almond pastry flavoured with flower essences, Farnesiana is more gourmand than floral.

Farnesiana was recreated by Michel Morsetti from Ernest Daltroff’s notes after his death in 1941. The name is taken from the Latin name for cassie, Acacia Farnesiana, as well as the garden in the Roman palace of Farnese which is the inspiration for Farnesiana. However, there is nothing Mediterranean about it, unless you recall the rich butter-soaked floor of an almond-filled baklava. The sweetness of Farnesiana, however, has none of the burning sweetness of the honey syrup of this Middle Easter pastry. It can be likened to a marzipan flavoured with floral waters, if such a thing ever existed.

In the time it was released in 1947, it was ahead of its time. Many gourmands nowadays pale in comparison to Farnesiana’s innovation and class.

Farnesiana is available directly from the Caron bouqitues in Paris and New York. I was very impressed with the excellent customer service of the Caron ladies in New York, Cathy Lily and Diane Haksa. The package arrived in a couple of days within the US to my aunt’s house, where it rested for a while until my aunt found her way to the post office (which can be easily explained by the fact that she is a busy 50+ mother of twin toddler boys). The long wait just wet my appetite and made me enjoy Farnesiana even more, when I almost forgot I ordered it. It came in the most exquisite silver coloured satin bag, fit for a queen, and accompanied by a few generous parfum extrait samples from the urn fragrances. The presentation made me think instantly of Marie Antoinette, who equally enjoyed pastries and perfumes.

Farnesiana opens with mimosa and cassie, but you know right away this is going to be a very unusual mimosa scent. The heliotrope note peak in right away, with its sweet, fluffy, powdery almondness. The heart is powdery and floral but not as indolic as Mimosaique or Une Fleur de Cassie, as the presence of jasmine is tampered by the lightness of farnesol and linalol in lily of the valley and lilac and the melancholy powder of violets. You won’t smell them on their own, but their effect is felt and adds a certain airy lightnes to what is otherwise a rich, sweet, dark composition. What’s most intriguing in Farnesiana, besides its extreme dessert-like appeal, is its ability to remain so Caronesque, despite the fact that it is dusted mostly with the bright yellow flower of mimosa, ever so light and airy on its own. The most dominant element that creates this Caronesque impression is the presence of opoponax, in addition to the darkly sweet and melancholy heliotrope. It adds a musky, resinous, animalic, daring and unusual touch which is just perfect with the other base notes (vanilla and musk being the most prominent besides the opoponax and heliotrope).

Top notes: Cassie, Mimosa, Bergamot
Heart notes:,Jasmine, Lilly of the Valley, Violet, Lilac
Base notes: Cassie, Opoponax, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Musk, Heliotrope

8 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2007 9:04:00 PM More reviews by SensualSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

What a Caron! Sophisticated and elegant. The best part is the long drydown! Sweet, soft, almondy powder. It's a more mature, classy version of Keiko Mercheri Loukoum. Farnesiana is must less sweet than Loukoum and is so sublime! I do love it and wish for a small bottle but honestly would hardly wear it. I am too impatient to wait for the drydown and the opening is just way too sophisticated and formal for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2007 6:52:00 AM More reviews by Funkly

Farnesiana is the scent equivalent of rose tinted glasses: everything feels good, the world is full of pleasurable things to savour and you are a golden princess endowed with the magic touch. Think Marie Antoinette in the Sofia Coppola film (the shoes, the cakes etc). Yes, in a nutshell it is a comfort scent of the highest degree. Having said that, it is not a sugary girly scent, it has all the Caron elegance and sophistication. Notes are mimosa and almond on a soft, creamy vanilla base, it is just beautiful, beautiful, beautiful !!!!
I am reviewing the extrait.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2006 3:23:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

Farnesiana is not at all what I'd expected. Judging from reviews, I tore open my package, firmly believing I'd find an uber gourmand scent - just one more sophisticated, grown up, and ladylike; far, far away from the Pink Sugars of the world. And while I most certainly get sophisticated and ladylike, it takes some time to get past the violet note (which I'm really not able to work with on most occasions) to get to the bitter almond. And while it does dry down to something I'd most certainly feel lovely in, it's not the alternate to the much pricier Mazzolari Alessandro that I thought it would be.

In Farnesiana, though, I feel very formal, elegant... very French. I can wear Alessandro while in comfort clothes, but Farnesiana almost demands a trench coat and a puppy in a bag. Which is so odd, because in its dry down, I get mainly baby powder and yes, almond... so I'd think I'd categorize this as a sweater and socks comfort scent. God, I hope the weather gets colder... I'm sure then it will be perfect.

I'm crossing my fingers that this classic scent will do what Fracas did - grow on me with time. continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2006 6:16:00 PM More reviews by CRosieB

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If a hug could be bottled, it would be called Farnesiana. A perfectly blended gentle scent. No sharp or discernible notes. It is motherly. It is warm. I can't describe the notes...it's just a soft, comforting hug - but like all Carons, it has a nice warm base that doesn't need to rely on woods, resins or spices. It is just wonderful.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2006 8:35:00 AM More reviews by LipstickLil

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This really is the business! Farnesiana is the most beautiful warm, rich, sophisticated perfume - it's a gourmand, but a "grown-up" one! The violet note doesn't last long on me and leads to a wonderful creamy/powdery iris and bitter almond blend - just so soft and embracing! A real "comfort" fragrance! (I can't smell any lily or lilac.) As others have noted, it's not as perfumey as Allessandro, and I find it sweeter, less woody and more floral than POTL, although it's certainly not *too* sweet (and this is no way diminishes my love for POTL!!) I consider Farnesiana to be a winter perfume as it is very dense, with good sillage, and it lasts about 6 hours on my skin. As it dries down I can smells hints of vanilla, and a tiny bit of amber finally, but it is all seamlessly blended. This is just delicious - finally another Caron I love!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2006 11:18:00 PM More reviews by BasiaS

This is a superb bitter almond-iris-violet blend, a bit sharp in the beginning, but settling into powdery softness. It's a gorgeous, sophisticated, modern gourmand blend that should please most almond fans. I also get hints of other almond creations in Farnesiana such as POTL, SL Rahat and Mazzolari's Alessandro. Other notes include lavender, sweet acacia (mimosa).