Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche

3.8

on 1/10/2009 9:03:00 AM

This is a wonderful classic scent . I love it .

on 8/9/2008 12:42:00 PM

i like this one, but i don't love it! firstly, the bottle - i dont dislike it as an object per se, but as a perfume bottle? im not that keen on it. i think its a bit gaudy and i prefer something a bit more classic. i also think the bright, arty packaging clashes with the scent, which is so romantic and feminine... but my biggest issue with the bottle was that its opaque and i cant see how much is left... i say 'was' because my bottle actually broke, apparently quite spontaneously, and i can now lift out the glass vial and see exactly whats left... The perfume itself, is intoxicatingly feminine... not sweet and girly, but elegant and.."womanly" ! Its the most wearable aldeydic scent ive ever sampled, it smells classic and timeless, tasteful and very expensive. Lasting power is good but not great on me.. (i can still smell it mid afternoon but it stays pretty close to the skin)... i can smell a lot of roses, a liquorice-like note, and a soft powdery edge, offset by a mossy, earthy tone. its very pretty.

on 7/15/2008 3:23:00 PM

OK, I'm old but my DH is older and he loves this one on me. I agree with a previous reviewer - it probably does remind him of the 70s when we were both a lot younger and friskier. That said, I prefer the newer version. It just smells more modern to me. FYI, I'm layering the EDT over the body cream. The packaging is excellent and I love that the cream comes in a tube. So handy for the gym bag. This one's a winner.

Rive Gauche-EdT:
I must say that the new version despite all the critique lacks the dreaded metallic note which i found in the vintage one. The vetiver drydown is distinct and dewy, still warm and mingles beautifully with the sandalwood. No idea why so many don't like it but i like it. A crimson rose, nearly faded already, on a bed of bark. The drydown is perfume-heaven. Instant compliment from b/f!

on 12/10/2007 11:33:00 PM

I hadn't thought about Rive Gauche in quite awhile but I remember the scent like it was yesterday. It was the only perfume that my best friend's college roomate wore and she wore it beautifully too! Well, I've been having a craving for it. Sadly, I wasn't aware that it was reformulated by Tom Ford in 2003 and that the "new" version isn't even for sale in the U.S. I hesitate to order from one of the online stores after seeing the reviews of this newer version. I can't understand why anyone would want to change a classic like Rive Gauche! I'm distraught and wondering where I can find the original. Usually, there are bottles for sale on the internet but this doesn't seem to be the case with Rive Gauche and it hasn't even been that long! I guess everyone has grabbed up all of the bottles. How upsetting! If anyone knows how I can get my hands on a bottle, please let me know! TIA

I still have the older version of Rive Gauche - not that there's much of it left now, but I'm using it sparingly :-) I think this fragrance is a classic - elegant, refined and formulated in the days when fragrances were made to be spritzed on lightly and would still last all day. I find it to be a bit powdery and woody. I haven't tested the new version, but I guess I will have to once I've used up my last little bit.....

I'd rate this 3.5 lippies. I'm not sure which version I sampled but I really enjoyed Rive Gauche. This is a very classic type of fragrance. It seems to have an oaky powdery finish. It makes me think of a cool day & warm quilts but, also reminds me of cashmere & pearls too. It really is a fragrance that you could wear anytime. It's soft and casual enough for office wear, but sophisicated enough for formal times. Rive Gauche lasts quite awhile on the skin too; about 6 hours. I don't think I will purchase a bottle, as I have similar scents. Nevertheless this is a very well done scent.

on 10/30/2007 12:19:00 AM

When my husband and I went to Paris last August, I noticed Sephoras in the City of Light carried this. I love powdery aldehydes and picked up the Intense version of this fragrance, which I will now always associate with my husband's and my first trip to Paris. Unfortunately, Saks no longer carries this gem, so I'll probably have to order it online.

on 2/23/2007 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is one of my favorite fragrances. It was always sitting in my mom's medicine cabinet when I was a kid. One day, after college, I decided to borrow it and was hooked. The modern version is nice, but I especially like the vintage version like my mom's, now discontinued, which is a warmer scent, not quite as sharp. It has a nice powdery flower scent. I've found my own on Ebay. I love spraying this on my hair and on clothing with fur trim.

on 11/1/2006 1:09:00 PM

Gorgeous aldehydic fragrance. If you are a fan of Chanel No 5, you will want to try this. I find this to be a very soft powdery sophisticated fragrance. I love wearing it and it's very "me". I like the packaging too because its so different. I always feel really feminine wearing Rive Gauche.

Popular Fragrances