April 21, 2014 | 847 users online

Shampoo - LUSH - soak 'n' float shampoo bar

rated 2 of 5 on 6/7/2011 3:56:00 PM More reviews by pimenta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've had itchy scalp for some time and had high hopes for this product because of all the good reviews saying that it worked instantly, but after using it for 3 times I saw no difference at all and I just can't stand the smell, it stinks (and my not usually picky with smells), it really stinks and the smell stays in my bathroom for a while.. I also think it weight down my hair and made it very dry so I'm not going to keep on using it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2011 4:49:00 PM More reviews by Kat_rocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

This isnt a smell for everyone. It smells like a campfire. I'm not a huge fan of this smell but it helps with my scalp, so well in fact I bought it for my boyfriend who suffers from extreme dandruff and yeast build up. It works instantly for him. Thank you lush !

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2011 12:01:00 PM More reviews by nalina82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

THIS IS A GOD-SEND. I have always suffered from irritated, itchy, dry, flakey scalp. It gets almost painful. I have tried everything from Neutrogena to Pert Plus to Aveda Scalp Therapy. Nothing else has worked so instantly or thoroughly. This shampoo is amazing! Wet your hair, wet the bar, and rub once or twice over your hair. It lathers up huge and you can just work it into your hair and scalp. I personally love the campfire-like smell, which will fill your shower and bathroom. However, the smell does not linger on the hair after your hair dries. If you don't like the smell so much, no worries there. My bf loves this as well. I will never go back to anything else!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/29/2011 12:31:00 AM More reviews by bschoolbabe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

At first I liked this product, it did seem to help with my dandruff and make my scalp less itchy. The smell was strong but I got used to it after a week or so. However, threee weeks in my scalp got way worse! I was getting even more dandruff than I had before and my scalp itched like crazy -- I think it is very drying. Definitely will not repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2011 9:51:00 AM More reviews by maliastyle

This is overwhelming at the start, certainly; the smell of burning wood will take over your bathroom, and if you have an aversion to the scent of wood and smoke, I won't be able to convince you to use this, no matter how much I'll rave about the results. As for me, I happen to like the smell of firewood, although, admittedly, this stuff is insanely potent, and I really wondered if past reviewers were right - would the scent every die away?

Turns out, they were right, and they were even more correct about the incredible results this shampoo provided. At the turn of every season, I seem to suffer from those dreaded flakes, especially at my hairline. I've used several different anti-dandruff shampoos, the best of which was Nizoral, but I never found it cost-efficient. It also smelled medicinal, which, believe it or not, I find worse than the campfire scent of Soak N Float.

Give this stuff time, and the smell will die down. It won't be so strong, and believe me, it doesn't linger in the hair, especially if used with a conditioner (which is necessary). This fact has been supported by my family, who all have supersonic smelling abilities - they all agree. After I rinse this out and blowdry my hair, my locks are left super silky, shiny, bouncy, and best of all, flake-free. After consistent use (after about a week), my problem is completely gone. One puck lasts a long time, too, and I use this daily. It also lathers like a dream. I'll keep using this as long as Lush keeps making it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2010 10:38:00 PM More reviews by Sarita360

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This bar stinks. It really, really stinks. The pine, burnt-tar smell lingered on my wet hair, slightly on my dry hair (even after using a scented conditioner) and even hung in the air down the hall from my bathroom 6 hours after I took a shower.

But it's effective and it actually left my hair looking shinier and more manageable. The product lathers really well if you wet your hair and scalp well, part hair and run the bar down the scalp in 5-6 different spots, and then use fingers to massage it into the scalp. I leave it on for 10 minutes while I exfoliate my body, then rinse very well and use a light conditioner.

My moderately-thick yet fly-away hair is shinier and less fly-away than when using other shampoos. My itchy scalp is relieved and flaking is greatly reduced. I would def purchase this again, but I would not use it every day or your hair will smell bad. I use it 3 times a week max.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2010 7:13:00 AM More reviews by mule84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product in an attempt to control my flaky scalp. Recently (whether due to the warm, humid weather, or because of my usual hair products) I have had an increased flakes. NOT ATTRACTIVE!!! I thought about this product, but thought that the smell might be too much for me. When I used it the first time I was horrified to find that my hair smelled like a campfire as it dried. The next morning, though, the smell was gone and so were most of my flakies. My hair was left beautifully soft and shiny, and my curls were sitting nicely. I have used it regularly since then and the smell has decreased, but its effectiveness hasn't. It really is the best thing I've ever used for dandruff. Better than any chemical/medicated shampoo that I've tried. It has also made my ends less dry.

If your hair has a lot of build up or oil, I recommend washing twice, as the shampoo won't later very well the first time. I love the fact that it's solid and I believe that it will last me an age.

I store the shampoo in an old black lush container to control the smell, but after I use it I leave it out to dry.

If you have dandruff I would highly recommend you try this product. Try to ignore the very strong smell, because the result more than makes up for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2010 7:40:00 PM More reviews by chococatbeauty79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

......This has done wonders for getting rid of my flakes....I do use another shampoo,conditioner and intensive treatment(Doo Grow mega thick).... along with this product....as for the smell, it reminds me of Dax's tar hair grease(if you have kinky hair....your mother most likely used this on your scalp....very well known in the African-American community)....unlike other reviews before mine.....it did not smell up my house.....and I left it in my lush tin uncovered overnight, so it could dry......and, the little herbs did not get stuck in my hair... I LOVE IT.....

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2010 11:52:00 PM More reviews by devibutterfly4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pretty much agree with the review below me, a complete life saver for someone with seb derm.
When I opened my package the smell hit me like a punch to face, I literally gagged. I put it in a drawer under the bathroom sink to get it away. I thought someone had to be really desperate to use this, and if you have problems with seb derm you pretty much are desperate =P.
The smell wanes with time and use, which is good. This is the only product I can use when washing my hair with the warm/hot water I shower with, when using other shampoos I usually have to wash my hair over the tub with cold water or else my scalp freaks out.
This is the best stuff I've used, and coming from someone who has used pretty much everything at the drugstore and what the dermatologist prescribes, I think that says a lot. My hairline on my forehead had pretty bad scaling but it looks much better now. No, this isn't a cure, but it's pretty damn good. I like to to take a piece and scrub my scalp directly with it, esp. my hairline and center part. I make sure to follow up with a good conditioner.
Oh, I do find I have to use this more frequently than my other scalp products, like every 4 days instead of a week, but I don't mind because of the fact I can wash my hair while in the shower instead of separately in cold water.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2010 12:18:00 AM More reviews by shandamoon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a serious scalp saver. Since I started using it last year, I haven't had any scalp irritation and hair loss was reduced.

I have greasy gross hair and chronic sebhorrheic dermatitis (adult version of cradle cap) which leaves my scalp oily, red, and with huge clumpy crusts- calling it dandruff is too polite. Sometimes it leads to inflammatory alopecia. This soothed my scalp on the first day. Second day, smaller flakes, no more red scalp. Third day, no flakes on my shirts, YES~!
It also helped with dermatitis on my hands.

After a week using it every day, I switched to once or twice a week, using either Jumpin' Juniper or else Naturelle Hemp on other days. I've had one bar last anywhere from four to six months, depending on how long my hair was and what time of year it was (used more in the summer).

Cons are:
it stiiiinks like burning garbage. The smell weakens on the bar after a few days, storing it in the garage or the basement helps. The smell weakens and smells more like pine tar. Also after regular use, the oils start separating from the solids and leave a sticky gel in the shampoo tin but it doesn't hinder effectiveness, just kinda gotta mush it together.

Putting the bar directly on my hair just coated the hair and I ended up getting hairs on the bar and plant parts caught in my hair. Ew. Instead I rub the bar on my hands and then apply, it makes getting at roots easier. And please use a strainer or hair catcher over the tub or shower or sink drain so that the leaves don't clog the pipes!

Price: Cheap enough I guess, I'm a cheapo so paying $10 for a shampoo is a lot for me, when I can buy a drugstore brand cheaper or mix a home remedy. But because I have skin problems and allergies, I can't cheap out. It's tons cheaper than prescription strength Nizoral or being on Accutane and less harsh on the skin and hair.

Packaging: It's wrapped in paper so no bottle to throw out, I just put the paper in recycling or use it as tinder in the fireplace. The shampoo tins are a little small and tend to cause moisture buildup. Leaving the tin partly open and not storing it in the bathroom help with this.