July 25, 2014 | 1987 users online

Cleansers - Albolene cleanser

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by keepitreal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I enjoy using this when my skin is irritated/fussy. I find that applying it to a slightly damp face and then removing with a warm, wet washcloth to be the best way to use it and then get it all off. Doesn't irritate my skin or break me out and effectively removes all my makeup. I'm just lazy and prefer to use rinse-able cleansers for my regular cleansing needs. Be aware that this contains ceresin which can cause issues for some people. Patch-test for a few days first if you are particularly sensitive/break-out prone.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by Cat1104

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Skin type: sensitive, oily but dehydrated, very clog-prone. My skin loses water and gets dried out very easily.
Oil-based cleansers tend to strip the moisture from my skin or clog my pores. This one looked promising. It has a small ingredient list, and the ingredients are generally considered non-comedogenic. Since this one doesn't have an emulsifier, I thought it could work for me by helping to seal in moisture if I didn't wash off the residue. I tried leaving the residue and washing it off. Either way, I broke out. Maybe I irritated my skin by over-washing; this is VERY hard to remove. When I didn't wash off the residue, perhaps it was too occlusive, causing my oily skin to clog itself... or maybe my skin just hates something in this (probably the mineral oil or ceresin).

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2013 9:33:00 PM More reviews by indianagirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really love Albolene for removing makeup! Nothing else seems to remove so much makeup so quickly. The tub, while a bit unsanitary, does last forever and is relatively cheap. It has never irritated or burned by sensitive face, and really does help moisturize. However, I have had to experiment to find my perfect application technique. At first I applied it to my face and wiped it off with a warm rag, but after several weeks I started to get clogged pores and more and more pimples. Now I apply a SMALL nickel size amount (which is really enough for your whole face), wipe it off with a tissue, and then follow with a gentle cream cleanser. It seems like an extra step, but after using this for awhile, nothing else seems to take off makeup so well or so gently. Will definitely repurchase. UPDATE 1/30/14...still using this, but now I purchase the tube from CVS, which I love as it is more hygenic and it is easier to get a small amount out. Plus the tube is travel friendly. I've gotten my mother and aunt to both use this also, and they love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2012 2:44:00 PM More reviews by joymelissa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great basic moisturizing cleanser. I was a bit hesitant to try this since it looked like Vaseline & I have cystic acne from time to time. I took a chance since I really needed a moisturizing cleanser in order to continue my anti-aging & anti-acne regime.

I like to use this mostly in the mornings to wash off my Retin-A or Proactiv treatment from the night before. I apply it to damp skin & mix a small amount of water with it, then I apply in circular motions and rinse off with water & a washcloth. I sometimes use a Yes to Cucumbers wipe or Purpose cleanser afterwards if I feel I need it.

Use less than you think you need (about a dime size, or a nickel size at most) if you get acne from time to time because you want the smallest amount possible to stay on your skin after you cleanse so your pores can breathe. The trick is that your skin should feel moisturized afterwards...if it feels greasy after you wash it off you used too much.

I have only used this during the colder months as I am not sure this would be right for my skin in the summertime.

P.S. It is similar to the very expensive Eve Lom cleanser, yet I like Albolene better.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2012 11:34:00 PM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I tried this because I ran out of my Cerave Foaming and decided to try something new - usually not a good move for me, but hey, sometimes a new thing works. I have very oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin w/ rosacea and some moderate sebaceous hyperplasia (SH). I was reading a blog where so-and-so talks about her struggle w/ oiliness and acne, decides to try an oil cleanser because of the idea that "like dissolves like" and ta-da! Perfect skin. Not quite.

This stuff is not cold cream, which contains water. Texture is like fluffy light petroleum jelly that melts upon application and is much easier to spread than petroleum jelly. Like whipped butter vs butter. Comes in a huge 12 oz. jar, mine cost $11.

I hate jars, and I used a tissue to scoop out a blob for each use.

Ingredients: MO, petrolatum, paraffin, ceresin, beta carotene. That's it.

Kind of a gel consistency mineral oil. No cooling sensation like cold cream. Feels like spreading a liquid plastic film over my face. Suffocatingly greasy feeling. Removes all mu very well. I wiped off w/ tissue and then 1st time used cleanser afterwards. My face felt a bit dry, so next time I tissued and then wiped off well w/ warm, wet face cloth only. However, even w/ cleanser, it felt like the water couldn't get to my skin. like the Albolene was sealing out the water.

1st 2-3 days my face looked very calm, fairly matte, with much reduced redness, and no increased oiliness at all. On the 4th day I notice 2 tiny blackheads, which I am not prone to. On the 5th day I had a few more, and the SH looked fatter and more prominent. On the 6th day I discontinued when the blackheads and the SH got worse. Now I have quite a few clogged pores, blackheads, fat SH's, and the beginnings of a pimple near my nose.

So, the experiment did not work. I will still use it as eye MU remover, and it seems to work nicely as a way to give my face a break once in a while from other cleansers, as it seems to really help w/ irritation.

However, it seems my very oily skin cannot tolerate using this all over more than 2-3x in a row. I will reserve for dry/red flares, very dry weather, and maybe I can use it on body.

If you have dry skin that does not produce a lot of oil this may work very well for you, but for someone whose face pumps out enough oil to make a piece of brown paper bag turn translucent within 3-4 hours of washing, I think it was just too much oil and not enough cleansing, and my skin seems to do better w/ water being able to penetrate it more.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2012 3:02:00 PM More reviews by litgeek

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product. I have extremely dry and sensitive skin. I am very pale, if it helps you to know that. I can use very few products on my skin without some kind of irritation reaction. All retinols and AHAs irritate my face. Albolene is a wonder product!! I highly recommend it to people with highly sensitive skin. I smear it on my face and wipe it off with a damp warm was cloth. It has dramatically reduced my skin's feeling of irritation and dryness. I tried some other moisturizers and cleansing oils. Nothing was as good as Albolene. It is just terrific.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2012 1:08:00 PM More reviews by jitterbugdoll

Albolene became my HG after the formula of Ponds Cold Cream was changed a few years ago. My skin is very sensitive, reactive, and breakout prone, and it loves mineral oil-based products. I used Ponds for many years, and found that it did wonders for my skin. Once the formula changed, however, my skin could no longer tolerate it and I switched to Albolene.

Albolene works very well for me, and I love that it is available in a fragrance-free version. I apply to damp skin, massage in for a few moments, and then remove with a damp washcloth. It removes makeup and sunscreen well, and leaves my face soft and moisturized without leaving a greasy residue. I will continue to repurchase this!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2012 5:52:00 PM More reviews by spackle_n_smear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used Albolene at one point years ago, but stopped because I believed it really didn't give that really clean feeling I wanted. I was also paranoid that it would clog my pores since it was a petroleum based product. I'm currently using Retin-A and I'm peeling like crazy and soap based cleansers made my skin look and feel worse. I also needed to change to moisturizers that helped hide or keep from exaggerating the peeling. Thanks to an MUA member's recommendation, she got me coming back to Albolene. I got their smaller tub for under $8. You don't need much, usually I take out a dollop the size of a dime, and rub it in. Sometimes I let it sit for a few minutes after massaging it in so it softens all that flaky skin before I take a washcloth dampened with hot water and remove it in circular motions with a bit of pressure. Then I turn the cloth over and lightly remove the excess and then take a shower. Happily my skin isn't irritated. On good days, I don't even need to moisturize -- just sunscreen and finish with some powder. On days that need a little help with hiding flakes, I moisturize then add sunscreen and powder. So far it's been a good routine with the addition of Albolene while I'm on Retin-A. My skin also looks so soft, supple and younger after using it. I have oily skin but not really acne prone anymore, but I haven't broken out with this and my face doesn't look like a grease pit either -- just a nice glow. I highly recommend using it if you battle peeling and irritated skin while on Retin-A. I took one lippie off because I don't get that squeaky clean feeling after I use it, but I'm sure it cleans well enough since I haven't broken out after using it for about a month now.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by purestfeeling

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff. It removes my sunscreen and make-up quickly and easily without drying my skin or causing irritation. I put a dollop on each cheek, my forehead, and my chin and massage them over my skin. I then take a wash cloth, wet it thorougly, then wring it out to the best of my ability before proceeding to wipe my make-up off. With any clean portions of the wash cloth I will then lightly massage my face in circular motions to give some slight physical exfoliation and be sure there's no ss or make-up residue left to cause irritation or breakouts.

This leaves my skin soft and glowing without any need to moisturize afterwards.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2012 6:30:00 AM More reviews by dalala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I converted from Ponds cold cream and have been using this product for 2 months and I am loving it! I massage this into my skin, wipe with a cotton pad, and follow up with a foaming cleanser to get rid of the greasy feeling off my face. Since this helps me take off my ELDW, I really think it helps to keep clogged pores from mu at bay. This is very simply formulated with mineral oil and without fragrance, which is a big plus. It has never broken me out.