December 22, 2014 | 1743 users online

Loose Powders - Maybelline - Shine Free Oil-Control Loose Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2012 5:46:00 PM More reviews by Hayxoh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this loose powder. It sets my makeup beautifully and doesn't leave it looking cakey. It also controls oil for a good period of time. Will repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2012 9:00:00 AM More reviews by scatcat92

I like loose powders, but I hate when they are packaged like this: the lid is not secure and can easily slide off in your make up bag. I usually keep them in a ziploc inside my make up just in case.
I was really looking forward to this powder because I love and rely on Maybelline. Their colors usually match my skin pretty well. I bought the light shade, and was disappointed. It appears very yellow in the packaging. Once it's applied to my skin, it's not as obviously yellow but it has a strange yellow cast to it. I wouldn't buy it again unfortunately.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2012 3:25:00 PM More reviews by nilorac123321

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I usally use my favourite Stila powder, but I recently ran out. I ran to the closest Kroger around, and sought out a good setting powder.
I have to say, I love this. I was looking for a cheaper 'doupe' of the setting powder I usally use, and I found something similar and cheaper.

The packaging quality, is at best, sucky. But like others have said, you have to get the great quality from somewhere, right?
The powder is fine, and has a smooth texture.
The color seems to be mostly translcent, but does have a slight tint. I bought this in the color "Light 01"
When used with my already mattifying foundation, I find that I can go all day with little to no shine. I do touch up halfway through the day, but I tried to go a day without doing so and I still had only a slight dewieness to my complexion. I don't have acne so I can't say if It lessens redness or sometihing, but it definitly does the job.

I really, really like this product. I won't buy again because I do favor my high-end makeup a litte more, but I'll keep it around just in case I run out again or need it somehow.

Good job Maybelline :D

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Locomcmomo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my favourite powder I own. It covers my skin perfectly and covers my blemishes and discolouration very well. It's smooth and doesn't break me out or give me reactions. It's hard to get product out but I just tip it over and that helps.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2012 12:46:00 AM More reviews by prettywoman46

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First, I am black and wear NC 45 in MAC. I purchased the medium shade to set my highlight foundation. Imagine my surprise when the powder looked more translucent and did not lighten the highlight area of my face. Since the powder wad so cheap, i purchased the light powder which actually worked as a highlight. I loved the look of the powder. My makeup looked very natural when i used the medium shade as my finishing powder. I did not look ashy or too light. That medium worked very well as a translucent powder and looked very similar to the Black Opal Invisible Oil Blocker Loose Powder but is @ $3-4 dollars cheaper. A new favorite!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2011 4:35:00 PM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

When I got this I really had hoped it would work a miracle, and when it didn't I was a little disappointed. However, after using is a while I found I liked it.

It seems to me that most loose powders I've tried work well and so I never really spend a lot of money on them. I was using the L'oreal Sheer Translucide powder and it was fine - that is until my skin changed on me. I was getting super oily really fast - like an hour after applying it was already becoming a shiny mess. I was doing some research for some ingredients that would help absorb oil and was trying to find an inexpensive/easily accessible powder that would work better.
Enter Maybelline Shine Free Loose Powder:

The key ingredient that attracted me to this powder was the inclusion of kaolin clay which is an ingredient known for mattifying/oil control. It was also the cheapest and easiest powder I could find that included this ingredient.

My skin is slightly sensitive and acne prone and this powder gave me no problems. It goes on sheer, not powder or cakey. It does control shine longer then the regular powder I was using, but I still needed touch up through out the day. I fine it works best using a round cosmetic sponge and pressing it onto the skin/over foundation. Even if I don't use foundation or tinted moisturizer, I think it still helps make my skin look better then just being bare. It doesn't extenuate pores and blends easily. I was impressed by the texture of this, it really quite smooth. Oh, and it should last you a LLOOONNNGGG time! even using it every day for 6months and I still have a ton left.

While it didn't solve my oil problem, it is a nice basic powder for normal to slightly oily skin. It works fine for me most of the time, but I need to find something with more oil control t use during these hot summers.

Since I likes this I tried the Shine Free pressed powder and did not like it. It doesn't really do anything for oil control as it does not have the kaolin clay in it, just talc.

I have light skin, about nc20 or so, and I have no problem with the color at all. I use it over foundation, over TM or over nothing but moisturizer and I never notice any color to it.For me it really does seem sheer - but I really dont apply much either. Some people say it looks cakey... well, this doesnt really happen for me either, so maybe it's the application technique. I dont use the cheap puff that comes with it.

The only gripe-- the packing SUCKS! I dont travel with it, but the top is just such thin and flimsy plastic that it cracks too easily! When I got more then half way through the jar, the lid was cracked beyond usable so I ended up mixing it in with another powder jar I had and kind of regret doing it because now this mix doesn't have as smooth as a texture anymore -- which I find odd because they both felt smooth on their own... But I guess if they are going to make something so cheap they have to skimp somewhere... I am on the look out for some nice powder jars I can use to transfer these into in the future that are more sturdy and more attractive. If anyone know where to find some please, pm me!

So in all, if you are looking for a good loose powder for very inexpensive, I think this is a good option - very impressive for the price! I will probably buy this again when I finish up the powders I am currently working on.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/14/2011 5:42:00 AM More reviews by RabbitwithFangs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I used this all the way through the eighties, when I was just starting out, but was swept away by Poppy's Pale powder in the Geisha collection (we're looking at about 1993 here.) When Poppy got discontinued I stockpiled it like mad, and I didn't run out until 2010. So now I'm back with Maybelline, but often keep my eye out for a paler shade.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2011 4:53:00 AM More reviews by GlitterFlie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this powder quite alot, although colour range is not very great, i use the lightest colour and its too pink for my skin tone when i apply it with the powder puff. The powder lasts the majority of the day and keeps my face shine free :) i do really like this powder alot!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2011 2:24:00 PM More reviews by sheridingdong

Another love of mine. I use this daily to set my tinted moisturizer and cheek stain. I have never experienced any smell from this which I really like because I hate having weird smelling things on my face.. like Revlon Colorstay foundation. Ew. Anyway this stuff is awesome. My t-zone gets pretty oily and at the end of an 8 hour work day my face is only a little oily which is awesome. The color worked well for me during summertime now that my tan went away it's a bit dark but I just mix it with baby powder and it lightens it up just enough. HG

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2011 8:38:00 PM More reviews by sarahann1994

This is an okay powder, I just hate the smell. It reminds me of something I would expect my grandma to smell like. I like the way it covers my face and the way it doesn't clog my pores. I don't feel like my face is suffocating from so much makeup on. I really love this for the price because it is just about dirt cheap at walmart. I hate the applicator for this because it rips after about 5 uses. I just use a plain makeup brush to apply this over my liquid foundation. I will repurchase this because of the price.