September 2, 2014 | 1177 users online

Loose Powders - Maybelline - Shine Free Oil Control Loose Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Locomcmomo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my favourite powder I own. It covers my skin perfectly and covers my blemishes and discolouration very well. It's smooth and doesn't break me out or give me reactions. It's hard to get product out but I just tip it over and that helps.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2012 12:46:00 AM More reviews by prettywoman46

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First, I am black and wear NC 45 in MAC. I purchased the medium shade to set my highlight foundation. Imagine my surprise when the powder looked more translucent and did not lighten the highlight area of my face. Since the powder wad so cheap, i purchased the light powder which actually worked as a highlight. I loved the look of the powder. My makeup looked very natural when i used the medium shade as my finishing powder. I did not look ashy or too light. That medium worked very well as a translucent powder and looked very similar to the Black Opal Invisible Oil Blocker Loose Powder but is @ $3-4 dollars cheaper. A new favorite!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2011 4:35:00 PM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

When I got this I really had hoped it would work a miracle, and when it didn't I was a little disappointed. However, after using is a while I found I liked it.

It seems to me that most loose powders I've tried work well and so I never really spend a lot of money on them. I was using the L'oreal Sheer Translucide powder and it was fine - that is until my skin changed on me. I was getting super oily really fast - like an hour after applying it was already becoming a shiny mess. I was doing some research for some ingredients that would help absorb oil and was trying to find an inexpensive/easily accessible powder that would work better.
Enter Maybelline Shine Free Loose Powder:

The key ingredient that attracted me to this powder was the inclusion of kaolin clay which is an ingredient known for mattifying/oil control. It was also the cheapest and easiest powder I could find that included this ingredient.

My skin is slightly sensitive and acne prone and this powder gave me no problems. It goes on sheer, not powder or cakey. It does control shine longer then the regular powder I was using, but I still needed touch up through out the day. I fine it works best using a round cosmetic sponge and pressing it onto the skin/over foundation. Even if I don't use foundation or tinted moisturizer, I think it still helps make my skin look better then just being bare. It doesn't extenuate pores and blends easily. I was impressed by the texture of this, it really quite smooth. Oh, and it should last you a LLOOONNNGGG time! even using it every day for 6months and I still have a ton left.

While it didn't solve my oil problem, it is a nice basic powder for normal to slightly oily skin. It works fine for me most of the time, but I need to find something with more oil control t use during these hot summers.

Since I likes this I tried the Shine Free pressed powder and did not like it. It doesn't really do anything for oil control as it does not have the kaolin clay in it, just talc.

I have light skin, about nc20 or so, and I have no problem with the color at all. I use it over foundation, over TM or over nothing but moisturizer and I never notice any color to it.For me it really does seem sheer - but I really dont apply much either. Some people say it looks cakey... well, this doesnt really happen for me either, so maybe it's the application technique. I dont use the cheap puff that comes with it.

The only gripe-- the packing SUCKS! I dont travel with it, but the top is just such thin and flimsy plastic that it cracks too easily! When I got more then half way through the jar, the lid was cracked beyond usable so I ended up mixing it in with another powder jar I had and kind of regret doing it because now this mix doesn't have as smooth as a texture anymore -- which I find odd because they both felt smooth on their own... But I guess if they are going to make something so cheap they have to skimp somewhere... I am on the look out for some nice powder jars I can use to transfer these into in the future that are more sturdy and more attractive. If anyone know where to find some please, pm me!

So in all, if you are looking for a good loose powder for very inexpensive, I think this is a good option - very impressive for the price! I will probably buy this again when I finish up the powders I am currently working on.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/14/2011 5:42:00 AM More reviews by RabbitwithFangs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I used this all the way through the eighties, when I was just starting out, but was swept away by Poppy's Pale powder in the Geisha collection (we're looking at about 1993 here.) When Poppy got discontinued I stockpiled it like mad, and I didn't run out until 2010. So now I'm back with Maybelline, but often keep my eye out for a paler shade.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2011 4:53:00 AM More reviews by GlitterFlie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this powder quite alot, although colour range is not very great, i use the lightest colour and its too pink for my skin tone when i apply it with the powder puff. The powder lasts the majority of the day and keeps my face shine free :) i do really like this powder alot!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2011 2:24:00 PM More reviews by sheridingdong

Another love of mine. I use this daily to set my tinted moisturizer and cheek stain. I have never experienced any smell from this which I really like because I hate having weird smelling things on my face.. like Revlon Colorstay foundation. Ew. Anyway this stuff is awesome. My t-zone gets pretty oily and at the end of an 8 hour work day my face is only a little oily which is awesome. The color worked well for me during summertime now that my tan went away it's a bit dark but I just mix it with baby powder and it lightens it up just enough. HG

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2011 8:38:00 PM More reviews by sarahann1994

This is an okay powder, I just hate the smell. It reminds me of something I would expect my grandma to smell like. I like the way it covers my face and the way it doesn't clog my pores. I don't feel like my face is suffocating from so much makeup on. I really love this for the price because it is just about dirt cheap at walmart. I hate the applicator for this because it rips after about 5 uses. I just use a plain makeup brush to apply this over my liquid foundation. I will repurchase this because of the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2011 12:38:00 PM More reviews by glamgirl31

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I can't believe I've never reviewed this powder! I've been using this for YEARS ( I honestly can't remember how long; maybe 10?) Anyways, I dust this over my foundation and it leaves my face with a soft matte look. I controls my t-zone oil well and it doesn't oxidize with wear. If I'm going from day to night, I can re-powder with this and I get no caking. I will use this powder as long as Maybelline makes it!
I have light, neutral skin and I use the shade Light.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2011 5:19:00 AM More reviews by redmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this in Medium. I really should have purchased this in Light. I got the medium, because my foundation was a tad on the light side so I didn't really mind if the powder gave me a little extra coloring. The medium color is a bit on the orange side. While it did give me more coloring, it was over powering and the orange hue wasn't attractive. I'm going to swap this one out for the light. (My color is Lancome Bisque 3, or Dior 301.) Besides the fact that the color was off it did do a good job setting my makeup and keeping it matte, although oily skin really isn't too much of a problem for me. The powder puff is horrible, but it is usable. It isn't good to set concealer around the eyes. Made it look rather dry and crackly.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2011 12:05:00 PM More reviews by Nextdoorhottie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My skin is combination. I set my foundation with this powder on my oily t-zone and less than 30 minutes later...I'm shiny already. I bought this because I heard good reviews but after one use, it failed to it's claims.