Dr. Bronner's Dr.Bronners Tea Tree Soap

4.4

Not tested on animals

Water, Saponfied Organic Coconut Oil*, Saponified Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Glycerin, Organic Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Melaleuca Altenafolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Extract, Citric Acid, Tocopherol (* Certified Fair Trade by IMO)

on 10/2/2011 7:04:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I only use this as a brush cleanser. I chose it over all the other ones because Bronners varieties because tea tree oil is antibacterial/viral/fungal/etc and it can also be drying, so I thought that would help with drying time.

PROS: Unbelievably concentrated, even when diluted. If you are using it straight you seriously only need 1 drop to do anything. Simple ingredients with no filler like dyes, fragrance, etc. Great price, will last forever.

CONS: I know it has tons of oil in it, but I thought that since so many said it cleans well, it must not be a problem. WRONG. The oil leaves a very noticeable residue on brushes. But here's the thing about it: it only shows up the more you clean your brushes. At first removes only makeup, but if you try to clean an already clean brush, it just ends up leaving residue behind. It also leaves a residue if you can't make it foam. For example, it works fine on kabukis and brushes you swirl since that motion easily makes it foam, but it doesn't work on tightly packed bristles, firm bristles, and things you don't swirl with. In these cases, using more only increases the residue, dries the bristles out, and leaves them with stray lifeless hairs. And it is NOT truly deep cleaning at all. Case in point: Revlon PhotoReady. Just try it. It will just start leaving a residue instead.

OTHER THOUGHTS: I live in Vermont. "Made in Vermont" is supposed to be used as a sign of quality, but it means nothing because MiV things I've used were overpriced for the quality or just lacked quality in the first place. This soap smells like the kind of scent I'd encounter in a store selling primarily MiV items for tourists or as a gimmick. "All natural", kinda nostalgic/old, and disingenuous more than anything. I am tolerant of many things and don't mind scents, so I didn't mind that I didn't have a chance to smell this before I got it. It was not available locally so I asked somebody to pick it up on a long trip. I wouldn't mind the scent so much if it didn't linger. But it lingers on ANYTHING it touches, no matter how you dilute it. I can smell it on every makeup brush as I use them. I've got used to it, but it's worth mentioning. Also this stuff has to be diluted. I have used it straight a couple times, but it just reinforces the cons I listed above.

OVERALL: The fact that it can leave a residue means it fails at it's job of CLEANING. It should easily rinse off. I'd recommend this only for swirly type brushes and easily to remove/light makeup. I'll never buy a Bronners again though since plain shampoo is better. I still will use it up on not that dirty brushes or a a "pre" cleanser but that's all.

on 9/25/2011 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I find this scent pleasing because I love tea tree scents.
I'm using this and the rose soap for my face and they are working very well in keeping breakouts at bay, even though they are a little drying. Should be great for summer.
Definitely would like to purchase this scent again in future.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

The best makeup brush cleanser I have ever used. I love and use the rose and almond soap but I have a bottle of this for my brush cleansing as tea tree essential oil has antibacterial properties. Just need a bit to get all my makeup brushes clean and soft!

on 9/9/2011 1:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product! I use it to wash my hair and body every day and my skin glows and my hair feels so clean. I used to swear by black soap but this has definitely won me over. I have very oily skin and hair and I've seen a huge change in the way my skin and hair feel and look. I was a bit wary of the price because I am really cheap when it comes to hair and body products, but I use this for everything and I've barely made a dent in the bottle. Love, love, love it!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love this product. I first purchased this in peppermint and I use that as a bodywash, it is amazing; however, I used it on my face, and I realized that I did not like the peppermint feeling on the skin on my face. I purchased this instead to use as a makeup remover/facewash and it is perfect. I can feel it cleaning and purging my skin and this has become a wonderful part of my daily skin routine. I also let my Boo use it and he loves it for his skin as well, he also used it as a shampoo and followed it up with Argan oil in his hair and he said his hair felt amazing (I dont understand how he could tell but I just went with it). I suggest this for anyone that wants to switch to an organic skin care regimen but does not want to skimp on the cleaning properties. Tea tree oil is an amazing skin toner and skin astringent...

Make sure you use sparingly, only one drop is needed to clean your entire face thoroughly.

I plan on using this forever, I will sit out my old bar soaps and fragrant body washes for my guests, this will be the only thing I use to wash going forward.

on 4/6/2011 8:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Not a bad product but by no means excellent for me. I used this for my face and a mild form of backne. I also use the lavender scent for laundry lol. Good for laundry, good for body, just ok for face, mainly because it's a little strong (drying) and in no way do i have sensitive skin. I will probably finish the bottle, but there are other (better) tea tree products out there.

I bought this thinking it would be a great way to help my acne in a natural way, while trying to get off of harsh chemicals like BP. However, this was not good for my face at all and I really regret using it! I broke out on my one cheek that has been flawless for months and months and the rest of my face broke out with tiny whiteheads everywhere. NOT COOL. I guess I'm going to try using BHA&AHA because I think it is better for your skin than BP but we'll see. Anyway, good for cleaning everything BUT your face! I'm bummed I didn't like it, I had high hopes.

on 2/14/2011 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Get $10 off of your first purchase using YEW608 on iherb.com!

Ehh. I bought this based on the great reviews here, but I'm really not crazy about this. It's super drying on the skin (even after diluting it a LOT) and it leaves some kind of residue on the skin.. My skin doesn't feel properly cleansed :( I might buy again just to clean makeup brushes or something, but probably will not repurchase.

on 1/13/2011 10:41:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This soap is saving my life. After using a bottle of pantene shampoo my scalp broke out horribly, got infected and has caused me all sorts of problems. It's been two months and this soap is the one thing that's helping to get my scalp back in shape. It's list of ingredients is very small...I can pronounce them all and know what they all are..no funky chemicals here! I use it about once a week...it makes my hair look like crud but it's healing my scalp! So worth it! After reading the other reviews here I can't wait to try it for some of the other uses listed...because as others have said..it's incredibly concetrated..a bottle will last forever!

on 1/13/2011 12:33:00 PM

It is a great product : ))
I dilute it with a small buckie of warm water to rinse my face in the morning (since I don't use cleanser in the morning or I'll just be washing my face too much) and with cold water to refresh my skin after cleansing routine in the evening..yes I use another cleanser to clean my face then rinse with milk (yes I wash my face using milk not water) follow with this (Dr. B's tea tree) diluted in cold water as a rinse then pat dry..no need for toner afterward.
I have a lot of problem with acne..it used to just keep coming but now I rarely have acne..so my blemish has been reducing since hardly any new ones appears : D
I also have sensitive skin and I had bad experience strong cleanser (that has teat tree oil in it) before so that's why I dilute it in water..a small amount..and I mean small.
I was not interested in it until I used the peppermint one for my body and I loved it (the smell and the cooling sensation) so I decided to try the tea tree liquid soap for my face as a sort of toner and morning rinse..and? I am in love : )

Popular Face Skincare Products