April 20, 2014 | 1618 users online

Shampoo - Nizoral AD Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2012 1:05:00 AM More reviews by starlys

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This stuff works!! In fact it is the ONLY thing that has worked for my dry flakes and itchy scalp. For some reason at the end of last summer I started noticing flakes in my hair and that my scalp was dry and itchy. It gradually got to the point where I had these scabby spots of dead skin on my scalp and when I scratched them more flakes would come off. It was horrible.

So I tried Head and Shoulders Dandruff Shampoo for Dry Scalp and it made my thin, fine hair SO greasy and disgusting it was as if I had washed my hair with butter. I even tried to use a clarifying shampoo before each use and it still made my hair feel beyond gross. I also tried Garnier Fructis Dandruff Shampoo and it also made my hair greasy and weighed it down and yet did absolutely nothing for the flakes. Then I tried Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo and although it smelled great and was sulfate free, it dried out my hair and, again, did not help the flakes.

So after reading all the great reviews about Nizoral on MU I decided to give it a go despite it being a bit pricey. I followed the directions and used it every 4 days. Within two weeks the flakes were GONE, the itchiness was gone and two months later neither have returned! It also didn't make my hair greasy at all. It was drying, but not that much more than the tea tree oil shampoo and since you are not supposed to use it every day it wasn't a big deal. I am sooo happy to finally be flake free after all this time and this shampoo has definitely reached HG status with me. Absolutely worth the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2012 9:36:00 PM More reviews by jillpole

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Terrible dandruff, but not itchy scalp. Just very flaky. I tried a similar-priced zinc based product and got no results. Bought the Nizaral 1% based on the MUA reviews. Got it for $11.99 on sale at Ralph's of all places. The first few days - NOTHING. I was sure I would have to go back to the dermatologist. But then, around the 3rd/4th day, the dandruff was GONE! It's been two weeks and still nothing. Yes, it's a small bottle, but definitely worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2012 8:17:00 PM More reviews by zee81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I get the occasional case of dandruff and this is the best thing that I have found. I let the shampoo sit for two minutes or two after lathering up really well, then condition. If I do this twice I am dandruff free for many months. I highly recommend a good conditioner because it can be a bit drying.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2011 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Jerrym

I luv luv it. Expensive but works, n 1 week hair loss is like 3%, itch n flakes almost gone. I feel normal again! YES

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2011 4:25:00 PM More reviews by Myoung19

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

For me this is truly a miracle product! I have had SD for years and nothing helped until I bought this. *Immediatly* my scalp was normal. No itching, scaling, flaking! My hair is also not falling out from the clogged scalp pores anymore. Thank god. I can't live without this product.
I had tried Head and Shoulders, Selson Blue, etc and those just seemed to make my scalp dry and itch/flake even more. Nizoral calms my scalp internally.
Yes its expensive, smells strongly medicin-y, drys ur hair out some (condition well after use) but it WORKS.
Everyone has a different condition that causes itchy/flaky/scaly scalp but if you have tried everything else with no results or just so so results this is definatly worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2011 8:15:00 PM More reviews by juliallen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've had problems with dandruff for many years and have tried every kind of dandruff shampoo available. I'd avoided Nizoral because of the price but finally I just broke down and bought some and I'm so glad I did. I used the product like it said too, washing my hair twice a week for 8 weeks with it and then once a week after that. My dandruff disappeared. I actually stopped using it completely for almost three months before my dandruff came back. The anti fungal in the shampoo stays in your hair for days after you use it, this is why you don't want to over do it. I did have problems with my hair drying out so what I started to do is 1st wash my hair with a moisturizing shampoo and then use the Nizoral just on my scalp. That seemed to help a lot.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2011 10:57:00 PM More reviews by gwilly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't know what was going on with my scalp but out of no where it started to flake, peel, itch and my scalp was so sore I didn't even want to comb my hair. This went on for weeks. Finally, out of desperation I started searching online for a cure and of course I consulted my trusty MakeupAlley and came across Nizoral. No word of a lie, I've used it 2x now and my scalp is healed. Absolutely no flakes, no itching and I can comb my hair again without fear. I Absolutely would buy this again without hesitation!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2011 6:24:00 PM More reviews by desertdwellr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is about the shampoo, and the cream. I hate this stuff! It doesn't work for me, and actually makes my SD worse. I've read that people wash their face with this, and all I can say is OUCH! If you have sensitive skin, this could make your SD (or skin issue worse) worse, because of the sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), so proceed with caution. I have this in the 2% cream, and it still burns my skin, and has no real benefit, for me. Allergy maybe? Quite possibly, but my SD was very bad, and continued to get worse, so much so that the dr. thought it was acne rosacea, as rosacea often mimics SD, and eczema. The treatments seem to be pretty much the same, so does it really matter what it really is? It's amazing how we can send a man (and women) into space, but drs. are baffled by almost every single skin ailment out there! I sense wasted tax dollars, but that's another debate. I did try the ketoconazole cream on and off for a week. I know that sounds like I didn't give it a chance, but this isn't something that takes time to work. This is an instant gratification product. Results are pretty much immediate, with improvement from every use. My dr. said that most of the itchies should go away within an hour, and that I should see a vast improvemnt in your skin within 24 hrs. It didn't happen. What I did get from the shampoo was raw red skin that eventually peeled off. If you never do patch tests with products, then this is the one that you will want to do one with. As for the cream, it didn't help my skin, and it was raw, but it was raw before I tried it. I did try the 2% cream on my feet, and the results were amazing. That is why I doubt I'm allergic to it. I have my doubts that SD is caused by a fungus/yeast issue, as people with a high pityrosporum ovale count don't always have SD, and vice versa. This yeast lives on everyone's skin, and there are some ethnic populations that just do not get SD. Diet? Environmental? Stress? I can tell you that SD stresses me out. It's difficult to be happy when your skin has declared war on you, and being miserable is stressful. SD is stressful. The bottom line with Nizarol shampoo is it's better left for the scalp, and the cream is better left for the face, and other areas of the body. SD tends to be gradual, and before you know it, it's a full blown flare up, so when you see 'facial dandruff', it's time to take action, especially when you have oily skin. I have found that at this time, I get the most relief from epsom salt, and I'm almost spot free. I will update on my SD products, as time goes on, but the reality of my SD is that it is probably run it's course, as I am 7-8 months in.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2011 5:25:00 PM More reviews by atlas84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I was "officially" diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis in March 2010 and the dermatologist I saw at that time recommended I try Nizoral to combat the symptoms. My SD manifests itself by causing breakouts on the back of my head and neck, and flaky red patches along my brow. He told me to wash my hair and face with this about three times a week for a few months and that should clear up the symptoms. Well, it did work but seemed a bit too drying for me. The active ingredient in this product is ketoconazole, which is a very powerful antifungal. I no longer use Nizoral for SD (a 3% BHA shampoo seems to keep my scalp in check and SD is not currently present on my face) but would buy again if I need to. I do recommend this highly if you or a friend/family member has a persistent or severe case of dandruff or SD and the normal stuff (Head and Shoulders, T-Gel, etc.) had no effect. Since it's antifungal as well, this may work well for something like athlete's foot (though I've never tried that myself). Please note: Nizoral is not an everyday shampoo, it is a treatment shampoo so you only need to use it once every few days.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2011 10:02:00 PM More reviews by pawnshop_rose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This shampoo does wonders for my scalp. I have a dry, itchy, flaky scalp and this helps to keep it under control. I used it about every 3-4 days for the first 6 weeks, then when I felt my scalp was better I use it only 1-2 times a week. A little goes a long way and the shampoo smell clean and fresh. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is that it's VERY drying. I need to use a heavier conditioner on the days I use this shampoo.