December 21, 2014 | 1804 users online

Treatments - OPI - Chip Skip

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2010 6:20:00 PM More reviews by astrick

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this! I consistently get 10 days of chip free manicures when I use this. However, when I skimp and only do a partial manicure it doesn't work as well. You have to use the chip skip, base coat, two coats of color and top coat. Wore acrylics for years because I didn't have time to repaint every three days. I can now have natural nails. Also find it works better with opi polish.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2010 5:07:00 PM More reviews by joshquinto

When I got my nails done at a spa, they used this on me and the nail polish did last longer. I don't know what was it.. so I bought it, but it didn't work.. Plus when I used it with UD nail polish, it took the paint off my nails... weird.. I don't know... it will just sit my garbage collection I guess..

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2010 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Laurac7

Didn't work. At all. Nothing more to say..except what a shame, love their nail polishes so a disappointment. Am sticking to salon applied gels now, which hold my nail varnishes on top for weeks.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/2/2010 1:10:00 PM More reviews by candyinafishbowl

Totally dried out nails on my toes. Embarrassing! Ruined healthy nails and made them flaky, white marks and unattractive. Not worth the price for this result.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2010 6:38:00 PM More reviews by wishful10

Advantages: Prolongs the wear of nail polish, lasts a long time for many, many manicures

Disadvantages: It's not a 'wonder' product but still very useful to have

Chip Skip is a product that I have recently integrated into my manicure routine and I'm quite happy to recommend this product to anyone wishing to extend the wear of their nail polish between re-paints. I think it works, I'm not saying it's a miracle worker on it's own (as I use various other clever products to achieve a perfect finish on my nails) but I like to use it and haven't felt the need to search for a better version or abandon it at all.

What is Chip Skip?

Chip Skip is a nail plate dehydration treatment. Meaning it will dry the surface of your nails. Just the surface, not the entire structure and so if used correctly this should not make your nail condition any worse by 'drying out' your nails. It's a temporary effect and is meant to be used immediately before painting your basecoat or colour onto the nail. Nail technicians use similar products to improve the adhesion of acrylics to natural nails. Chip Skip essentially prevents nail polish from chipping... letting you skip the chips!

How do I use Chip Skip?

So you've took your old polish off and maybe buffed out a few ridges here and there and filed your nails the way you like. You might have even applied a spot of hand cream, cuticle treatment or nail oil to keep your hands nice and nourished - that's good right? NO!! They'll hamper your nail enamel's staying power. Go wash them off!!! Avoid adding oil and other emollients to your hands before your manicure and when you wash your hands before your manicure try to dry your nails and surrounding areas thoroughly.
Right... onto Chip Skip. Unscrew the cap, wipe off any excess on the bottle neck and brush onto nails. Not in great quantities, but not sparingly either. You'll see that the formula is the consistency of water and that as it's applied to the nail surface it appears to sink in and disappear. Your nail will then look dry and the creases where the nail meets the cuticle and surrounding skin will be oil and moisture free. This is important as it's these edges where nail polish can start to chip first (not just the nail tip) and it's because this is where little bits of hand cream and oil and other moisture like to hide. These products will definitely prevent polish or basecoat from sticking to the nail plate. So make sure to cover all of your nail with Chip Skip. One coat is all you need but feel free to brush more on if you feel you have missed a bit. The brush on Chip Skip is short and stubby, unlike regular nail polish brushes, to make it easy to get into these creases and also it doesn't need to hold the same amount of fluid within it with the consistency being much thinner than polish.

What next?

Go ahead and apply your basecoat/ridge filler or move straight onto coloured polish. You've got plenty of time so there's no need to rush. Your nails will stay dehydrated long enough for you to apply your polish without reverting back to their previous hydration level.
I always recommend a short drying time between coats of polish and highly recommend a good top coat to finish the manicure. I mainly use colours from OPI's range of nail enamels but Chip Skip is compatible with any brand of polish.

When you've finished your nails and everything is dry and set - this is the right time to go ahead and apply moisturisers and nail oils etc. Sit back and enjoy your manicure!

I can't fault this product so I've awarded it a full 5 lipsticks. If you're enthusiastic about your manicures or just looking to get longer wear out of your favourite colour then invest in a bottle of Chip Skip.

***This review was originally published on dooyoo.co.uk by myself under the user name CleverRabbit.***

Thanks for reading.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2010 3:28:00 AM More reviews by TJ9

I dont know how..But this gives me MORE chips

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2010 12:06:00 AM More reviews by KaylaDeCant

The brush is SO tiny it takes forever just to even apply it, and most of the color from your nail ends back up on your brush. The product did not even work, my nails chipped in two days! I tried using a normal brush from another nail polish but it did nothing to help. This product is worthless. Maybe you could add it over the top coat to add extra protection? I am not sure, but I am never using this stuff ever again. I just threw it away, such a waste,

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2010 10:34:00 PM More reviews by xoxjulie21xox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is junk! IM glad i picked up a small bottle for only .99 i was really hoping this stuff would work but it doesn't do anything and its a pain to apply. Dont bother buying this!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2010 1:03:00 AM More reviews by aporcupine

I was looking for a base coat and was recommended this by the salesperson. I was told that it was a best-seller and, being a product addict, I bought it. Like what the others has stated here in MUA, what Chip Skip does is dehydrate the nail bed--the product itself resembles acetone or alcohol though it comes with a brush, but I just don't think it's worth paying that much (or at all, if you have acetone or alcohol at home) and even with this stuff, I would much prefer using a real base coat like Stickey, anyway.

Update:
Ok, I probably wrote my review too soon, plus I was mad that I was sold a pre-base coat item when I was looking for an actual base coat, but this sure has become part of my manicure routine. I treat my cuticles with CND's Solar Oil before applying base coat and color, and this product makes sure that after I wash off the oil, my nail is truly without any traces of oil. I like the short brush too, it's easy to manipulate and run around the curves of the nail bed. This lasts a long time too, so it's worth it.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2010 2:37:00 PM More reviews by lollypops33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Rubbish! This product ruins your nails and dries them out very badly. The fact that it says to not use it more than once a week tells you that you're not doing your nails any favours.

It's a pointless product as well. It is supposed to clean the nail ready for polish. I've been wearing nail polish for over 25 years and managed perfectly well without this product.

If you take time to do a proper mani/pedi and use a good topcoat, then your polish will last. I noticed that with this product, my nail polish chipped quicker than it did without it!

I put it in the bin! It was expensive but I value the condition of my nails too much!