MAC Satin Lipstick - MAC Red

4.4

LOVE LOVE LOVE the shade
Amazing bluish red, vibrant, makes my NC15 skin glow
However, the staying power is not fantastic (although it can resist drinking). The big flaw is that for me it is very drying. I cannot use it two days in a row I get terribly parched lips.
However, it is fantastic to use it sparingly. If you have fair skin with cool undertones you should get this one!

on 11/16/2012 8:14:00 PM

This is a FANTASTIC shade of red. I went to MAC looking for a red lipstick to go with my Halloween costume, and this is a red that I would use for everyday wear. I didn't want a red with any orange in it, and this is perfect. Plus, it's great that you can get lipstick for free with the Back 2 MAC program. I have light skin and blonde hair and LOVE this color!

on 10/12/2012 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I actually work for MAC, and up until recently I've owned every red lipstick from MAC and NARS with the exception of NARS Fire Down Below, MAC's Diva and MAC Red....well, I decided I wanted MAC Red too after putting it on a customer with Kiss Me Quick prolongwear lipliner. I loved the way it looked and decided....hey, whats ONE more red lipstick!?!? Usually My "go to" reds are NARS Dragon Girl (LOVE) and MAC Viva Glam I. Those are my two top reds. Well, MAC Red is kind of a game changer for me because now THIS may be my top red. It's a true blue based red that is viberant and makes you stand out from the crowd. Whitens teeth and it's a color you can throw on and you just look done. You don't even need any other makeup. I've put this on everyone from the lightest NC15 customer all the way up to NW55 and it honestly looks good on almost everyone, unless you carry a TON of pink if your skin...then it can clash a lil. It really is a BOLD red though, I wouldn't consider this a starter red for most people. If you like the tone but what something not so "in your face" MAC Ladybug would be a better choice due to a more sheer finish. I have to tell you, if you do choose MAC Red prepare to be noticed! I had, Im not kidding, every single person I cross, tell me that MAC Red looks great on me, and its "my" red, or how great I look when I where it. I never had any makeup product get so much attention before I was truely shocked! (In a good way, of course!) So, if you're looking for a bold, traffic stopping red....this is def worth giving a try! I hope it makes other people feel as glam as it does me when I wear it!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Iíve always been a die-hard fan of red lipstick; at the same time, I get why so many other women have such a love-hate relationship with it. Done wrong, it's cheap and clownish; done right, itís like adding a perfect little exclamation point to your face. You have to put your guts into it, that goes without saying, but itís just as important to know your textures and undertones so the face on the front of your head matches the one inside it. Although Russian Red and Ruby Woo are the cultiest reds in this cult brand, its namesake red wins my heart for textural reasons. Itís creamier than the other two, sort of a demi-matte, which is a sight more comfortable than those stark matte formulas...without losing any of the pigment payoff. Do check it out.

on 8/6/2012 12:10:00 PM

Love this colour. It looks crazy bright in the tube but goes on nicely. Definitely very blue toned and I think it has a slight pinky tinge in the right lighting. I also own Russian Red which I love but this one slightly pips it to the post in terms of colour tone for my skin. It goes on smoothly without any bleeding, even when I'm in too much of a hurry to put on liner. Doesn't last as well as the matte Russian red being a satin finish, but it feels much nicer on and feels more comfortable to wear throughout the day. It is still one of the brighter reds and definitely not what I would call subtle, but it definitely doesn't look clownish. I compared this to Ruby Woo at the Mac counter and except the finish there were almost identical in colour, so I would pick this if you're prone to slightly drier lips!

on 7/31/2012 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Love this colour! The texture is great as well. I often mix this with MAC So chaud to create and orange-red. I love the finish as well. My go to red when I wear a red lip

on 7/20/2012 10:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

MAC Red packs the creaminess you crave from Ruby Woo. It is pretty similar as a blue-toned red and does wonders for the teeth. The glossier finish allows it to be worn comfortably all day. I prefer MAC Red to Russian Red because it is a little cooler and I gravitate toward cool reds. That said, I prefer Ruby Woo to MAC Red despite its infamous dryness. MAC Red kind of slips around on my lips and I feel nervous wearing it without a liner. Ruby Woo is dry as sin but definitely stays put once on.

on 7/17/2012 9:53:00 PM

I am so bad at the 1-5 scale things.... Le sigh. Okay so I went to the MAC counter looking for a bright cherry red to please my husband. I tend to wear the plummy, blackened or burgundy reds and he wanted to see me in something bright. I tried all the heavy hitters: Russian Red, Ruby Woo, Viva Glam and they all pulled too burgundy or orange on me. The saleslady pulled this one out and voila! Perfection.

I have been wearing MAC since before it was available in the US so I consider their packaging and price to be standard hence the 3's there. The overall is a 5 because the color is so perfect. In my head Glam is the only MAC red that beat it and well Glam is no longer available {not Viva Glam just plain Glam from oh 15 yrs ago kay?}

Now to find a nail polish to matchy matchy ;D

on 7/10/2012 5:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

I will start by saying that I am no MAC head. With that being said I think MAC provides one of the best quality and colors (lipstick wise) available in the US.

Mac Red is a head turner, I've never seen any red like it. I'm tan/dark right in the middle of those shades an I must say that it isn't subtle but at the same time not loud (for my skin). Although, if someone with a more fair, or olive skin tone were to wear this, I would still be turning my head.

I find this lipstick to have a very "classy" but social persona to it, and that's what I like about Mac Red.

on 6/23/2012 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Im so pleased my hunt for the perfect red pout is finally over thanks to this lippy! It's just so fab I look forward to wearing it. It gives a lovely stain when dabbed on giving your face an instant perk and can be blended with other colours to create either a fuchsia - Add a plummy colour or even an orange by adding a nude or coral! Or you can ramp up the voltage and add a couple of coats to give you the best red pout ever and be the envy of all your friends! It has great staying power and will not leak even without lipliner. Its s siren red that will look good on all skin tones!

Recommended for Medium Skin