July 31, 2014 | 1021 users online

Liquid - Kat Von D - Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2014 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Sara44

The coverage is unbelievable, one coat and all the redness one my face was completely covered. It looked natural but I have oily prone skin and I found it made my face look a bit oily. I can't tell if this or the other foundation I tried that day broke me out. But if it wasn't for my oily skin I would definitly purchase. Best coverage I've ever seen while looking natural!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/18/2014 2:38:00 PM More reviews by mirandafryman

I wanted to like this foundation, I truly did. As a pale girl, I could appreciate a foundation not tinted orange. Also, cruelty free is a big plus. I tried a sample before buying and am SO thankful. This stuff is full coverage, for sure, but it's so thick you can't move it. I dabbed a bit on the back of my hand and applied it in a small amount to parts of my face and blended with a Beauty Blender and it STILL didn't blend. It literally formed a new layer of skin on me, it looked so unnatural and felt so heavy. I've never understood how make up "felt heavy" before that moment. My pores seemed huge and I tried to fix it up with a brush, which made it worse and made it streak to the max. The price is steep for the quality/amount too, but I'm a cheap girl and will admit it. Not worth the hype at all. Only reason I gave it two stars was for the cruelty free aspect. Great idea, poor execution. My redness also still somehow came through even with the coverage because of how badly it broke up and oxidized.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2014 10:00:00 AM More reviews by tams32386

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have used many, MANY foundations in the 12 years I have been wearing makeup. Chanel, Lancome, Maybelline, Estee Lauder, Clinique, etc.! This foundation is simply amazing. I have acne marks and redness and am also acne prone with very sensitive skin. This makeup gets crap cause people assume it's too heavy, not sure why, maybe cause it's known for the amazing coverage or maybe cause people know it was originally made for covering tattoos. Well, YES the coverage is simply flawless-goes on like another layer of your own skin, giving you the PERFECT canvas. I personally don't think it's heavy or feels heavy at all, and I also love that the ingredients in it are nothing too 'chemical', ance causing, or too unnatural. The packaging it also awesome cause it comes with a pump so it's not messy. The ONLY issue i've ever had with it is the shades. Although the medium 54 is exactly my skin tone-if I get a little tanner in summer it might not work and the next shade would still be too dark. LOVE IT. If you like FULL coverage without the heaviness and a matte look for oily skin-GET THIS!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/11/2014 9:17:00 PM More reviews by cocoadolly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The best way to use this foundation that I've found is to put very very little on your face and blend it out with a Beauty Blender. Its very full coverage BUT it doesn't last. I'm not even that oily and I find myself shiny rather quickly and I do set with translucent powder. It's also heavy, kind of like that foundation that you can't wait to take off. I bought it last year and I've only used it a few times. I blame myself. It was one of those things that I kind of bought because of the hype.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2014 10:50:00 PM More reviews by cking2013

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a wonderful product. I used to work for Sephora and this stuff will cover just about anything, we recommended it to many women with serious acne problems (although really, a dermatologist is a good idea if you need this foundation as well.) I used to have more difficult skin, and bought it for myself. It lasts a very long time, about 6 months for me, with daily use, and it is in a very hygienic pump bottle that is also sleek and pretty. This product is also wonderful for very light skin tones that are neutral to yellow, I am a 01Y at Sephora and have trouble finding foundations light enough for me, and this actually was. The negative of this to me, was that it is vey thick (which is of course, the point for some people) I felt like it couldn't be good for my skin, even though it effectively covered acne and dark circles and was decent for oil control along with lasting all day. However, after seeing a dermatologist and having my skin clear up from prescriptions, I will be moving on to less mud like foundations. I would really recommend this product though for those that really need full coverage.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2014 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Roxxy6341

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

There were so many reasons I ventured into Sephora looking for a new foundation. I was too dark for my foundations I had, my skin went crazy and was left with scars and acne marks, and I needed something that would stay on for not only parties and graduation, but needed to photograph well. I left my face in the hands of the SA and told her I needed something VERY FULL COVERAGE.

She brought this one out, popped it on, and I was sold instantly. The coverage was a nice satin finish (not too matte, but not dewy either) and blurred out my skin. You couldn't see any dark spots popping through and best of all it doesn't look like I was wearing the dreaded "too much foundation" mask. I liked the price point on this foundation and was SO happy it was in a pump bottle *praise the makeup gods*

This foundation does indeed live up to its claims. It stays on FOREVER. Through all day events of graduation, parties, being outside in the general summer heat, this stayed on all day. I never felt I needed to powder it throughout the day. It's evident when you go to take it off at the end of your day that it's still attached to your skin. I took a few makeup wipes and Bioderma to get it all off. I would strongly recommend washing your face after using this. Though it didn't break me out, it is a HEAVY foundation. Now, I don't personally have tattoos, but I was curious if it really did cover tattoos. So I experimented on my dad who has them and I can say that this did cover his green ones very well. I can't say to any other colored inks, but the shade I have covered the green.

Another fair warning, if you have dry skin I HIGHLY recommend moisturizing just to make this blend a bit better. It is a very thick formulation and I also caution when applying to work in sections because it dries quick. I apply mine over a heavy moisturizer and blend it out with my Real Techniques Blending Brush to give me a nice flawless application. This does take patience and good blending to really work into the skin.

tl;dr

What I liked:
-This foundation stays on FOREVER
-Covers everything from acne scars to tattoos
-No breakouts or issues
-Great price (under $35USD)
-PUMP BOTTLE (hollaaaa)

I have no complaints at all about this foundation and would repurchase :)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2014 8:07:00 PM More reviews by staceygrigas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this product last year, wasn't sure about it, returned it and got a different brand, which I ended up returning and buying a lighter shade of the Lock-It which I ultimately stuck with. Turns out I just had too dark of a shade.

This stuff is PERFECT for fall and winter. It's a little heavy for spring and summer during the day, but works at night. Yes, this product is FULL coverage. If you don't like full coverage, stay far, far away. It covers blemishes well, and helps work with concealer to cover undereye circles.

The reason I am writing a review, however, is the longevity of this product. It is by far the longest wearing foundation I have ever used. It lasts longer than, and in my opinion has a better finish than, Mac Pro Longwear. I can wear this from late morning until after 2 am without touching it up, with the aid of a primer of course. And as for the staying power: this afternoon, I thought my gym partner ditched me, so I put on primer and this foundation. A few minutes later she changed her mind and I shrugged it off and went to the gym with foundation on, figuring I didn't really care if I got streaky. But that's the kicker... I came home, looked in the mirror, and it was still perfect. I sweat like a crazy person when I was there!

Worth the purchase if you like a full coverage foundation that gives you a near flawless finish. Applied best with a Beauty Blender in my experience.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2014 1:33:00 AM More reviews by Rose8989

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

There are other full coverage foundations, like makeup forever matt velvet, that do a much better. This makeup is very unnatural looking, it gives cake face. Added bonus for me was that both shades turned orange within three hours on me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2014 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Lms526

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I still really like my Estee Lauder Double Wear Light, but I'm finding it doesn't hold up very well when I sweat. So I've been trying to find a sweat-proof liquid foundation, that is suitable for use year round. I went to Sephora and asked for some recommendations. This is one of 3 samples I picked up.

I was a little hesitant to try this. I got a sample of this in Medium 54, based on my Color IQ.

I would not purchase a full-size bottle of this. It is SUPER thick and hard to blend. Even using a tiny bit, it was streaky, and cakey. It also looked really unnatural, almost like a mask. It did a good job of covering up the redness, but it emphasized the small bumps on my face. It didn't look very good at all. It also felt very heavy on my face. I took it off soon after applying it. I wouldn't have felt comfortable wearing this in public.

Also, the color was really off. It was way too dark for my complexion, and looked very orange. I think I would probably need Medium 50. But I don't like this enough to even try to find the right color. This was definitely a fail for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2014 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Aylapc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This was the only skin match foundation they had for me at sephora so I went ahead and bought it. YOU HAVE TO USE THIS VERY SPARINGLY. If I put on more than a dot on each section of my face it looks cakey and streaking. Still not sure how I feel about this... Great coverage but rubs off and is hard to apply correctly.