Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.8

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

I would not waste your time on this foundation. Luckily I got a sample from Sephora before purchasing. I give three stars because the color was great, the coverage was great as well. But this settled into all of my fine lines and pores, as well as clung to all my dry patches. My face looked worse than if I didn't wear any makeup at all- which is saying a lot. I do tend to have dry skin, so maybe someone with different skin wouldn't have that issue. I recommend sampling any foundation at this price before committing.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I have been using Kat Von D's Lock it for over 3 years. I was initially drawn to this foundation due to it being full coverage and oil-free (I have very oily skin). I also have a challenging skin tone to match and this line has so many shades to choose from-- a big plus! My skin tone would be a perfect match if MAC made a shade in between NC20-NC25. I would consider myself a light, yellow shade. After numerous tries of shade matching between the years with Kat Von D, I find myself best matched at Medium 52- Should be re-labeled as Light 52 in my opinion. Light 48 is always the default shade for me according to findation.com, but if you don't have a slight pink undertone stay far away from this shade.

Pros:
Lasts a long time - 10 hours tops (not 24 hours as labeled)
Wide shade selection with various undertones
Full coverage
Great for oily skin people- controls my oil well. I also use Rimmel's Stay Matte in Transparent to set this foundation-- this powder will not alter the shade.
Doesn't break me out-- L'Oréal Pro-Matte is similar to this formula, but broke me out really bad. I tested the L'Oréal Pro-Matte in Golden Beige and would replace the Kat Von D if my skin wouldn't break out so bad!

Cons:
It tends to transfer on my cell phone and clothes.
May be considered too full of a coverage for some people.

To sum up this review, If you have a difficult skin tone to match, want full coverage, and some oil control, this foundation is for you. If you want something with a bit less coverage, try or stick with good 'ol Revlon Colorstay. :-)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm sure this foundation is great for different skin types- just a warning for oily girls. I applied this foundation the same way I apply any other but found that it had completely disappeared off the end of my nose within twenty minutes. I reapplied my entire face of makeup before I left. While I usually have issues with that because I am so oily I can normally get by for at least a few hours before that happens, but with this foundation I couldn't even get out the door first. I'm sure it's great for other skin types and I really want the coverage this provides but it just does not work with my skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I adore this foundation but it is very picky. It has a super thick consistency and is also very, very full coverage so if you don't like that steer away. The main reason I purchased originally is because the shade Light 42 is the closest match to my skin I've ever found. It's heaven sent for those as fair as me. The bottle is adorable and the pump is perfect. I apply with my fingers to get the best results because due to its consistency a brush will make it streaky. A beauty blender would work best if you have one. I really believe this should be worn alone but if you need a powder use sparingly to avoid anything settling into lines. Now, my only problem with this is that it cannot withstand humidity or any kind of sweating. If you try to blend it out or wipe it while wet it will come completely off in that spot and you can really tell. It's definetly best for those of us in dry climates.

-gives a perfect looking finsih to the face, but looks cartoonish, definately NOT like skin
- not as full coverage as it claims to be, works for pimples but not scars or tatoos or anything more
-i dont trust the chemically smells
-definately does last, it wipes right off through the day
- cakey af
-i wouldnt buy it again ever... not worth it

This is one of the worst foundations ever. I'm 15 and it made me look way older than that. It looked so so so cakey and dry on my skin. It made all of the bumps and little imperfections stand out (while oddly covering them) didn't look smooth at all. I'm very fair, but the lightest shade is almost paper white, and the next shade down is a shade or two too dark. Not transfer resistant at all. (Even with a powder on top). I tried a beauty blender and it made everything patchy and you can't really layer this. I've tried using oils mixed in, different moisturizers, primers, application methods, everything. But sadly, nothing worked. This also made my skin so dry. Like, extremely flakey all over my cheeks. I'm dry, but I've never been this dry. Not gonna lie, it has good coverage (when you can get it to actually look somewhat decent) and lasts a long while. I DO NOT RECOMMEND UNLESS YOU WANT TO LOOK LIKE A HOT MESS.

I found my holy grail high end foundation!! I'm very particular with how my foundations should perform, and this one exceeded my expectations by far.
First off, the Tattoo foundation has insane coverage. I have problematic acne scars that many foundations cant cover, and this one works like a dream. Somehow, Kat Von D has mixed workable, thin-ish texture with high coverage to create a product that adheres to my skin very well and covers just about all my blemishes. It cooperates especially well with my face primers, too. A little bit goes a long way; it's incredibly saturated, like a concealer.
As aforementioned, the texture is very workable. It resembles liquid foundation, but with the coverage of a thick creme. Drying time is very quick and it needs to be blended right away for best results because it does not budge after that. It dries to a semi-matte finish. I liked that, though, because it doesn't feel liquidy or cold on my face and doesn't invoke that "eww liquid foundation on my face" feeling.
Its longevity is the best that I've seen out of any foundation, high or low end. It's not unusual for me to stay up to 20 hours per day, and I have makeup on almost the entirety of that 20 hour duration; this foundation looks absolutely flawless for however long I need it. It's outlasted sweat and water (I'm a swimmer) of all kinds. I haven't had problems with it oxidizing either.
As for its packaging, that's another reason why I love it. It's absolutely beautifully adorned with tattoo patterns on a clear plastic tube. The pump is pretty great too; it pumps from the bottom and the bottom raises the remaining product, so you can always gauge how much product you have left over. I have been using this foundation on and off for several months and it isn't even close to running out.
In my opinion, this was absolutely worth the $42. I was so happy to have found this foundation. I will gladly repurchase this whenever I need it..and when my wallet allows me to, that is.

Update: Been using this with Murad Invisiblur or Benefits Porefessional primers and it has helped tremediously keep my pores from looking accentuated and filling in fine lines. Kat's primer did nothing to help with these issues sadly. This stuff is a keeper though!

Giving 4 stars because I wish they had more shades for fair skin. I am fair and neutral and wear shade 45. It's too yellow for me but seems lighter than 44 or 46. I've found shade 42 is way too light, shade 44 oxidizes and turns too peachy and dark on me and shade 46 is too pink also dark. I wish they had more shades for fair-light skin. If you look at the hashtags #light44 or #light45 on Instagram, light skinned folks aren't even wearing these shades. They are more of a light-medium. The shades seem to really skip over fair-light shades going from the fairest of fair to a light-medium skin tone.

Really want to love this foundation because it's full coverage but it accentuates my pores and fine lines like crazy. I think this foundation may be the only one that actually makes me look older. Not something I want in a foundation. I can get away with wearing shade 45 but since this foundation makes my face look rough, I will probably return. I will try a couple different primers in hopes that will fix the pore issues. I've used Kats primer and it did nothing for my pores.

Lasts pretty good. I don't know about 24 hours on my t zone which can get pretty oily throughout the day but I have yet worn that long. The finish is a natural matte, not flat. I do get somewhat shiny throughout the day but a quick touch up takes care of that. It's not over oily though, actually gives it a more natural look but I prefer matte make up. I've found the foundation is slightly heavy and drying. I've rubbed my nose and it has come off. Not completely transfer resistant

A little goes a long way. I use a real techniques buffing brush to apply and it blends together wonderfully. The pump is wonderful on this and you can control how much you want to use.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

When i first got this foundation i loved it. Using it daily for 2 weeks i noticed it would look progressively worse each day no matter what technique i used. I used different primers and brushes and beauty blenders. No luck. This looks really nice for 4 hours then it makes me look 40 years old(im 20). It gets into every single line and emphasizes them and drys up my skin even though it was hydrated before! It cakes up and looks gross. No matter how little amount i used. It doesnt fade it stays 12 hours but just looks gross and makes me look old. For reference i have dry, medium-deep yellow toned skin. I couldnt find a right colour. The colours looked very unnatural. Medium 57 looked way too yellow and medium 62 was too orange. Maybe this would work better for people with less fine lines and oily skin.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

My province FINALLY got a sephora and this product was the first on my list to get matched to my skin and try out because I heard a lot of great reviews. I have to clarify that this is my first "high end" foundation so I am not able to compare it to anything else in the same price range or from Sephora.

My skin history: I have oily, sensitive, uneven skin with a background of teenage acne (some scarring) but mainly clear of any breakouts. I usually go for medium to high coverage foundations to cover my dark circles and even out my skin tone. My go-to drugstore foundation is Revlon Colourstay that I have been using for years.

I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this product!

The packaging is gorgeous - the bottle is super cute and the pump feature is very convenient and sanitary. 1 pump of product does my entire face easily so the bottle has been lasting me a very long time.

The coverage is like nothing I've ever tried before. My minor scarring, dark circles and unevenness is completely covered and gives my face an amazing base for bronzer, blush, highlighting, etc. I do not find that this product oxidizes which is huge for me because a lot of products I try tend to turn orange at some point. I can wear this product without primer and it still looks amazing!

The staying power is out of this world. Again, I can wear it with or without primer and this foundation stays on my face until I wipe it off. Most days I put it on around 6:45 in the morning and wipe it off around 9pm and my cleansing cloth is full of makeup.

It does not feel heavy on my skin nor does it get cakey throughout the day. Best of all, this foundation did not make my sensitive skin break out in any, way shape or form.

The consistency is perfect...it seems very thick but extremely easy to blend out. I apply the product on the back of my hand, apply to my face and blend out with a moist beauty blender or stippling brush.

The shade that was chosen for me matches my skin perfectly. I'm pale but have some colour and find it very hard to match my skin exactly. From the display it seems as though there is a wide variety of shades which is not always available with some brands.

The one and only ding this product got for me was that I still get super oily on my t-zone (even when setting with a powder) and usually have to touch up with powder or a blotting cloth later in the day. This may be just my skin as tend to get oily with almost every product I use. A good mattifying primer may be the fix for something this minor.

The price is expensive for most but to me its justifiable. I bought my bottle in August - its now December and I still have more than half a bottle left using it 6-7 days a week. The product quality alone is worth the price for me.

When I run out I will 100% buy this product again. Highly HIGHLY recommended!! :)

Video Reviews & Tutorials