August 31, 2014 | 1377 users online

Shampoo - Alterna - Alterna Age Free Caviar Shampoo

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2008 4:15:00 PM More reviews by audmac

Not sure what prompted me to spend $30 on a shampoo but I wont be buying it again! It is just a shampoo and didnt do anything special or spectacular and I much prefer Bedhead Superstar which is also sulfate free and costs half as mcuh.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2008 7:33:00 PM More reviews by heileres

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used a sample of this with the conditioner and for the first time in my 33 years, I can honestly say I could tell a huge difference overnight. I can not stop touching my hair ... it's beyond soft and silky.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2008 10:41:00 AM More reviews by Kathy123

This is a great product. It made my long hair silky and tangle free. I loved the citrus smell and the way it spread in my hair. I also think it is very expensive but I think it is worth it because it holds my color very well.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2008 12:30:00 AM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I received a sample of Alterna Caviar Moisture Shampoo with a recent skinstore.com order. It seemed to work well at cleaning my hair during the single use the sample provided, but it has a lot of polyquaterniums that I suspect would build up on my fine hair with repeated use. This product has the longest ingredient list I've ever seen for a shampoo, and it seems unnecessarily long. This shampoo is also super pricey, so I'm rather relieved that I don't love it!
Ingredients: Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropylamine Oxide, Decyl Glucoside, Lauryl Alcohol, Glycereth-26, Glycol Distearate, Amodimethicone, Wasabia Japonica Root Extract, Fennel Seed Extract, Carrageenan Extract, Hydrolyzed Algae Extract, Algae Extract, Caviar Extract, Linseed Seed Oil, Shea Butter, Sunflower Seed Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Ferment, Saccharomyces Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces Zinc Ferment, Superoxide Dismutase, Lactoferrin, Carrot Root Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Phospholipids, Corn Oligosaccharides, Copper Lysl Oxidase, Acetyl Methionine, Acetyl Serine, Amino Acyl tRNA Synthetase, Phytosphingosine, Mushroom Tyrosinase, Lentinus Edodes Tyrosinase, Soybean Seed Peroxidase, Peptone, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Soybean Symbiosome Lysate, Pikea Robusta Extract, Adenosine Triphosphate, Niacinamide Polypeptide, Ascorbic Acid Polypeptide, Pantothenic Acid Polypeptide, Papain, Bromelain, Melanin, Melanin Silanetriol, Wheat Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Oats, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propoyl Silanetriol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-10, Polyquaternium-7 Dihydroxypropyl PEG-5 Linoleammonium Chloride, C11-15 Pareth-7, Laureth 9, Trideceth-12, C12-13 Pareth-23, C12-13 Pareth-3, Glycerin, Propylene Gycol, Citric Acid, Butylene Glycol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Acrylates Copolymer, Fragrance, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamic Aldehyde, Linalool, Limonene. continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2008 2:19:00 PM More reviews by lovenliv

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This shampoo makes my hair realllllly soft and healthy looking....but, the next day my hair looks extremely greasy. I like washing my hair every other day, but this isn't possible with this shamp/cond. I don't even this a dry shampoo could fix this problem. Eww, I'll stick to my alterna TEN.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/16/2008 12:24:00 AM More reviews by Heidelind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It smells very nice. The bottles are very attractive and practical. It made my hair soft, but very brittle and greasy at the same time...very odd. It is pretty expensive. I personally feel that there are better products out there, especially for the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2008 2:30:00 AM More reviews by jferrarese

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this shampoo! I've been hedging for a long time now whether I should buy or not and luckily received a shampoo/conditioner free sample. The second I opened the sample pack under the shower, I fell in love with the smell! I think that's the hardest sell to make in the review, because every person gravitates to different smells. I prefer the soapy, fresh, light "green" and "aqua" type smells so this shampoo did it for me.

Then the washing...it suds up nicely and rinses well. The proof is in the results, my hair is baby soft and just simply lovely and shiny. I have chemically treated hair but it's not fried, this will keep it that way. I'm happy about the lack of sulfates in this product and after several uses I'm noticing not only a difference in my hair but in my scalp. I have a tendency to get flaky - it's not dandruff but I have a very delicate scalp that dries out easily and "gets angry" at hair products, including shampoos, very easily. Well, apparently this doesn't upset it and I've noticed a better scalp as well.

It's so nice, in fact, that my husband is now using it too - and it's rare that he ever "steals" my stuff!

I'll be buying the 1 litre size when this 8 oz bottle is finished!

Do note: I'm switching to Fekkai Technician every 3 shampoos or so in order to keep the product working. Just FYI.

UPDATE March 08: I've stopped alternating altogether. I love this shampoo and I love what it does to my hair. I've never had it so easy with my hair - which is thick, long, colour treated and wavy with a strong tendency to go frizzy on me. What is most exceptional about this shampoo is my scalp health - that is tremendous at this time. I suffered from dry scalp and would flake or get what mimicked an allergic reaction after colouring my hair (very red, angry, itchy and after a day would start peeling - like after a sunburn). That's all gone. It really is amazing because I've tried everything out there and nothing did the trick. Fekkai was the closest but after this stuff, Fekkai feels like I'm using drugstore shampoo.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2007 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Lalie

I really liked this shampoo. It is sulfate free, yet it totally cleanses and moisturizes at the same time. It suds nicely and actually feels like it is cleaning, but not too much. I thought that my hair was easy to comb out afterwards and it felt great too. I also liked the smell. It smelled like the sea to me-at least what I think it should smell like. Kind of refreshing. Definitely a great option for someone looking for a great moisturizing sulfate-free shampoo! Fyi-I have long blond highlighted hair with dry ends and needs shampooing every day or two.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2007 6:34:00 AM More reviews by chanelxoxo123

I would never have thought about spending this much money on shampoo but I recieved a sample packet of this and the matching conditioner and it made such a HUGE positive difference on my hair that I went out and bought the full size S&C that same day. My hair is halfway down my back and I only need about 2 pumps- it's a sulfate free shampoo but it lathers very well! It feels so luxurious and leaves my color treated and heat styled hair feeling strong and glossy. I always feel like it almost converts my processed long hair into almost the quality of virgin hair. I found that I can't use this daily, only every other day at most for best results. I alternate this with about 3-5 other shampoos and conditioners depending on what my hair needs. I really like the packaging of this product, how it comes with pump dispensers. The only drawback is the pricetag but I think it's worth it. Other $$$ shampoos I've used in the past did nothing for my hair but this one made a huge difference.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2007 5:39:00 PM More reviews by cupcakes21

This is the one shampoo that has truly made a difference for my hair. I have hair that's been dried out and damaged from frequent highlighting/straightening and this made my hair incredibly soft and glossy! I've used all the other super hyped products like Nexxus Therappe, Redken All Soft, and Fekkai Technician and they all did nothing for my hair. I'm glad I finally found something that actually works! My hair has never looked or felt better! I like the smell of it too - it's very fresh and pleasant. A definite repurchase!