July 28, 2014 | 1698 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2013 11:56:00 PM More reviews by secreteuphony

I've tried pretty much all the colors, I have balayage highlights (DIY thank you very much) and I use this color always to tone the blonde or cover the occasional grey. When I was sick of ombre for fall I also used the dark brown to get rid of it.

So I've used dark blonde, dark ash blonde, dark brown, and ultra light ash brown. This brand has always been as true to color as store bought gets. The dark brown is actually dark brown, not black (like Garnier and Clairol, ugh). My other brand of choice is L'oreal, preference isn't bad and neither is Feria (however Feria has limited blonde options). This is always my go to since it's easier to get right and so cheap.

The ultra light ash blonde makes a great toner while the dark blonde is a really pretty light brown (ala Lily Aldridge, my hairspirtation). What would I do without colorsilk!? Probably pay someone $500 to do the same thing I do to my own hair. Don't try it at home though, I've been dying my hair since I could write so I basically consider myself a professional. :D

rated 2 of 5 on 10/6/2013 11:49:00 PM More reviews by decemberdreamsx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I picked up a box of Blue Black when I wanted to dye my hair darker and didn't want to wait a few days to go to Sally's. I had been using AgeBeautiful dye mixed with developer and my hair's texture and color were amazing. I used the Colorsilk and wham- that killed my hair's texture, drying it out and breaking it off. I liked the color, but hated what it did to my hair. It literally felt like straw, so dry and brittle. Next time I will wait and make that trip to Sally's.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2013 4:03:00 AM More reviews by ecolleen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this stuff for years now in a million different shades. The bad reviews here totally confuse me. It's dirt cheap compared to other brands, ammonia free, lasts a fairly long time (red always fades fastest for me for some reason), and comes with an amazing conditioner (I REALLY wish they sold it separately, it's awesome). It smells awesome compared to how most dye smells and though it may leave your scalp feeling a little dry, your hair feels awesome afterward.

What I do is start my roots first and then work my way down. If I'm just doing roots (not often since I change the color so much) I only need one box, but if I'm doing my whole almost-to-my-lower-back length I need three boxes. After I'm done, I leave the conditioner in around ten minutes while I shave and finish up the rest of my shower biz.

This stuff always has brilliant, lasting color, doesn't burn my scalp (except with the lightest blonde shade, and even then it's not bad), and leaves my hair in lovely condition. It's also cheap as mess. I don't know why anyone buys anything else.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2013 9:38:00 PM More reviews by JLsunshine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use this in alternative to getting my hair done professionally. When i am unable to shell out the big bucks and get my hair done by the stylist, this is my go-to hair color. I love the way Revlon Colorsilk smells and the way it feels in my hair. It feels creamy and immediately hydrated when applied. I am satisfied with the end results, my hair color is bright, bold, and shiny, never streaky.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2013 8:24:00 PM More reviews by hancam1030

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this dye. I've been using this as long as I've been dying my hair (almost 10 years now) and I've had success with almost every color (except the blonde shades, only because I've never used those, I just go get highlights if I want to go blonde). Granted, the shades run a bit dark (except for the reds) so always go a shade lighter than what you are going for! If you are going for a light ash brown, choose a dark ash blonde instead. The color really lasts with this dye. It doesn't drip too bad. My hai is shiney and more healthy feeling and the conditioner is amazing and smells wonderful! (If only they made a bottle of this stuff! I would buy the crap out of it) anyways, a wonderful great hair dye. I never use anything else. I've been too scared to try! No patches when I use this either. And for only $2.50 a box at Walmart, it's a steal. FYI-I recommend two boxes for hair that's shoulder length or longer. Especially if you have lots of think hair like me that soaks up dye like no other.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2013 7:31:00 PM More reviews by Melissa89

I usually use Ion Color Brilliance but this color is great if you don't have that much to spend and need a quick fix from a color mishap. I used the brown-black color, and it was evenly colored, beautiful, and the smell is NICE. I love this color and it's great for the value!!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/5/2013 3:59:00 AM More reviews by dashcrabtree

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Colorsilk is probably the best all-around dye I've used on my hair. I really loved Strawberry Blonde, but it looks like it's discontinued -- it was a little darker than shown on the box, but a rosy, coppery red that was really bright and held on forever. It didn't have that weird cardinal red/mahogany tinge that makes dyes look "fake." I think it'd be worth tracking down a box on ebay or something if you want a really amazing copper. My other great Colorsilk experience is with using the cool blonde shades as toners. They are VERY strongly pigmented, and are the only thing that ever really counteracted the red tones in my bleach jobs (I actually never found a good toner!). The champagne shades are better than ash, though, because with ash you run the risk of turning a little green, and I'd rather skew a cool pastel than a grassy one. This is just over bleach, though; otherwise the ash shades are really beautiful.

My friend did have a really bad allergic reaction using Colorsilk. She had to take steroids and everything. This was using a blue black shade, though, which always runs such a risk. I'd avoid dyeing my hair black no matter what... Maybe use an indigo henna instead.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2013 3:48:00 PM More reviews by lr99999

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm gray. I've had Colorsilk medium blonde on my hair for quite a while. I decided to go lighter so I bought 04 Ultra Light 04 to go lighter.

It didn't even DENT the darker blonde color. So I bought a Preference Les Blondisimes. Didn't even do a thing.

Geezzz. What is this stuff? I don't want to bleach or use color remover because my hair is long and in great condition.

Guess I'm stuck with this color forever, :(

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2013 8:54:00 PM More reviews by bekakerr

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been dying my hair for about 3 years now in bright, unnatural colors. I have naturally dark and frizzy hair so it's gone through a lot to go from dark brown to green and blue and red and pink but every time I decide to give my hair a break, I use revlon colorsilk. This thing is perfect! It makes my hair softer and healthier looking than before I died it and it covers the bright colors perfectly! I haven't tried any of the very light colors because I tend to stick to darker browns, black and auburn colors. I can go from any color to a perfectly natural even shade in a day. This product is wonderful, especially for the price. I love it <3

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2013 11:11:00 AM More reviews by palinaka78

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I thought the colorsilk didnt damage my hair alot , i been useing thier product for a year now and it lasts for a long time. the color dosent fade or have a brassy look. its good overall. my hair looks vibrant and healthy, the conditioner has a heavenly smell and it makes my hair silky after i rinse it out and it drys:) , it smells like pikake , (hawaiian flower) (im from hawaii) but anyway its a verry good buy for 2-5 dollors , exellent:)