November 26, 2014 | 1708 users online

Moisturizers - Avene - Skin Recovery Cream (US name: Cream For Intolerant Skin)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2013 6:11:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

I have normal/dry, slightly sensitive skin. I'm going to compare 2 different creams in my review. One of them yo can only get in some Nordic countries - I apologize for that, as this review may not be relevant for many people.
I first bought Avene Recovery Cream for my mom, for her rosacea skin, as it is very sensitive. She used it for about 3 weeks but then stopped. I asked her why, over the phone, as don't live at home, and she said it was because it seemed to not be compatible with her skin. I think she mentioned something about breaking out, but I couldn't see it for myself. Later I found out that people with rosacea often can't tolerate things with oil in them, so I decided to try this out myself. First I used it for about a week and didn't like it, as my skin was getting a little blotchy compared to when I use my regular moisturizer, Cliniderm for Sensitive Skin Rich, which is supposed to minimize redness/irritation over time.
After using my Cliniderm for about 8 more months, my skin was far from as sensitive. That is because Cliniderm's cream is supposed to help sensitive skin build a barrier, and eventually, become less sensitive. It took me about 2.5 years of use to go from VERY sensitive skin to just slightly sensitive. Cliniderms cream costs quite a lot, so I decided to give Avene another chance (buy another tube, that is - the expiration date is only 6 months after opening). My skin tolerates this just fine now, although I can't say that Avene's cream feels soothing, like other people say - to me it just isn't irritating at all. Cliniderm actually IS soothing for me, and was even when my skin was very sensitive.

I personally don't have any problems with neither mineral oil nor silicones - my skin tolerates both very well, but I don't quite like how this cream feels on the face: it doesn't sink in well, even with my dry skin, and I use about a 5-6 mm ball of this for my entire face. My Cliniderm sinks in completely and very fast, leaving me with very moisturized, but quite matte skin, while Avene's cream does moisturize, but my face is left a little shiny and my makeup always looks very dewy over, and sometimes doesn't set as fast as I would like.
I DO like this cream - it has been my go-to moisturizer in the morning for about 8 months now. It takes a long time for me to use this up as I only need a very small amount and my makeup looks pretty good over this.
Why I only gave this a 4: my skin didn't tolerate this very well when it was very sensitive, (but it does now, when it's only slightly sensitive), because it doesn't actually soothe my skin, because it seems like this doesn't sink in properly and because it doesn't build up the skin's resistance. Would recommend people with sensitive skin testing this out? Yes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2013 12:15:00 AM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was nice, but not hydrating enough for me. I recently ran out of my moisturizer and had also been exfoliating a bit too much. My skin was red, irritated, and totally breaking out in little bumps. I received a sample of this to try, and used it for a week. It did clear the redness and irritation, and didn't break me out. But unfortunately my skin still looked dehydrated and dull. I'd use Vichy aqua balm over this if my skin acts out again for any reason.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2013 10:46:00 AM More reviews by Amie83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Extremely soothing and moisturizing. I must have repurchased at least ten times. I have dry, sensitive skin with a bit if rosacea ( red dots on cheeks, flares up when aggravated and some pimples). This soothes my skin and calms redness overnight.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/26/2013 6:46:00 AM More reviews by leviosana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried out a sample of this moisturiser in the RICH formula (more general info at the end of the review).I was looking for a facial moisturiser, which would be hydrating and calming enough to soothe the rough, red skin under my nose.

First impressions: Out of the tube, it looked very thick and rich.

First application: After showering and exfoliating. It has no scent at all and it felt surprisingly light. My skin did not feel tight and dry areas were not as red as usual. I was really excited, but after around 10 minutes, my cheeks, forehead and chin looked unusually textured (bumpy). At the same time, the skin under my nose started feeling tight and I had to put on additional argan oil and more moisturiser.

36 hours later: Prepped my skin for make-up real well, but there was twice as much oil to on my blotting sheet than usual. I felt a small improvement in the condition of my dry patches (as long as I used argan oil with the cream), however the large pores on my cheeks, forehead and nose were clogged and I had 5 new whiteheads (have not had that many at once in months). I stopped using it after this.

Additional thoughts: I think this could be a great moisturiser for someone with extremely dry, sensitive skin and to use in the wintertime, as long as you do not have large pores or break-out areas. It definitely has a calming effect, but I think you would have to use it for quite a while to rehydrate your skin. Cannot imagine what it would do to oily skin.

Other info: The great thing about Avene is they offer samples of some of their products if you ask them via e-mail (in the UK at least). The cream comes in two formulas -> skin recovery cream (normal to combination skin)and RICH skin recovery cream (for dry to very dry skin).It is free from parabens and colouring agents.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2013 8:41:00 AM More reviews by FakeLashes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have dry eczema sensitive skin, after using a sample of this cream I could notice that it calmed my skin down. I have flakey skin around my eyes and lips and after using this for a couple of weeks (bought the full size) it did slowy cleared up. But for my dry skin I think it would be better if I had used the rich version because it was a little bit to light and I had to use to much product to keep my skin hydrated. A nice cream without any scent and great for those with sensitive skin problems.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2013 4:11:00 AM More reviews by angelstern

My skin - Combination, gets oily through out the day. Started using Retin A in the last 3 months, skin was reacting well, no dryness etc. However in the last 2 weeks, I started developing dry patches around my mouth, chin and cheekbone area, which is so rare. I stopped using Retin A and started moisturizing like crazy with my Josie Maran Argan Oil, which did not help one bit with the dry patches. So out of desperation, I turned to a small tube of Avene's Recovery Cream sample I had gotten at a store. After the first day or two of using it, I noticed the dry patches going away. By the end of the sample tube, face was completely back to normal and looking the best it's has in years - I was using Retin A to fade old acne scars, not sure if it's the combination of Retin A and Avene but my skin was looking much clearer albeit still has some old stubborn scars fading slowly but surely. This is definitely a solid french moisturizer. Only complaint I have is the price - almost $40 and such a small bottle! Well I bought this in Asia so probably paying for exorbitant shipping fees. A little definitely goes a long way for me. This is a light weight, highly effective cream, for me at least. By far the best face moisturizer I've tried. No more Argan Oil for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2013 11:42:00 PM More reviews by CindyAnn67

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just wondering how much reading people do when purchasing a product. A lot of you were using this for acne, that makes zero sense. They have an amazing acne line, this is not part of it really. It is very important as a consumer to do your research. Avene is an incredible line designed to help the least sensitive to the most sensitive skin. I have used the product for a long time now and I am a cosmetician. I would HIGHLY recommend any AVENE product to anyone given the right direction. I had a Roscea patient come in, very severe redness and capillaries. She came in three weeks later with shocking results..she looked jaw dropping. This line works!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2013 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Froozygirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have very sensitive, very oily acne-prone skin and almost everything seems to break me out, apart from Avene's products. No matter what I use from this brand, it seems to calm my skin. I bought this during a very cold British winter, and during an even colder Christmas in Scotland. My acne was getting a bit funny too - I had one or two spots and I am pretty sure one of the makeup stuff I was using at the time broke me out - so I thought I should give this a go. Wow! My skin calmed down within a couple of days. Though it looks heavier than the usual creams I use for my oily face, it is absorbed immediately and leaves no oily residue behind - it's also excellent under makeup. I originally bought it to wear it only when the weather is very cold, but I ended up using it every day! If your skin needs some TLC, don't think about it twice! It's one of these products that make you feel 'aaah' when you use it, you know that feeling? :-) Amazing product and will buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2013 8:34:00 AM More reviews by Concord

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is such a beautiful product. The texture when applying is so refreshing and soothing, but even though it feels so fresh, it's a medium-weight moisturizer. Apply a bit less than you think you need and apply without rubbing. Almost immediatly your skin feels calmer and more moisturized. A solace for angry, irritated skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by vuvie

I don't like Avene in general after using almost all their line (I had acne, sensitive skin and now sensitive eczema skin).

This however is interesting. I used the normal one, not Riche. I was in Japan at the hottest summer (40+C) and my sensitive face was weeping a little (a few years back, I get weeping eczema on my face easily). Went out and got this, which is twice the price in Singapore. Used it for a week. My face was normal again!

So yay, I guess? Still, I will not repurchase anything from Avene except for the thermal water.