Bourjois 123 Perfect Foundation

3.8

on 1/25/2014 4:19:00 PM

Not a happy choice for me. I was looking for a long lasting, mattifying foundation, with a good coverage. I was convinced by the great reviews and my love for Bourjois to try this foundation (last summer I used the "healthy mix" one and I loved it, but for winter I was looking for something with a better coverage for my combined skin). My experience with 123:

Colour - small range of colors. I usually go for the light beige and I did the same this time. Looks good after applying but after some minutes my skin starts having a very yellowish tint.

Lasting - it does not lost long on my skin. In the evening there's almost nothing left on my face. It mattifies my skin but not for long. A good powder, however, keeps this under control.

Coverage -good coverage when applied, but as I said already, does not last for long on the skin.

All in all, I'm not happy with my choice..biggest disappointment from Bourjois so far!

on 1/17/2014 9:05:00 AM

I wanted to love this foundation so bad, especially as shade 51 is a perfect match for me.
With a little help of a lovely lady in store I got matched up and loved the tester so brought two bottles as on offer.
In the comfort of my own home I discovered I probably shouldn't have got two. This product clings to my dry patches, even areas I wouldn't consider having dry skin. It makes me look flakey up close.
From a far though my skin does look better, but I won't be buying this product again :(

on 1/16/2014 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

EDIT:
I still don't get how I am the minority who likes this foundation. It's marvelous! I've been wearing it from 1.30 pm up till 00.00 am and it still looked perfect! In the meantime I have blotted only once, but should have blotted it twice (1st time around 5 pm; the 2nd time should have been at 9 pm). It's so easy to spread, covers all my flaws (redness, large pores) - makes my skin look so nicer and prettier! The coverage is the perfect for day-to-night, it is super pigmented and sets to an un-sticky base: there's no need to use a setting powder. It didn't cause any breakout, didn't clog my pores (which ARE prone: BB Skin clogs them after >4hr of continuous wear), doesn't dehydrate my skin and doesn't settle into fine lines (eye area). I so highly recommend it to those with oily and combination flaky or not pimple free skin! Try it - it's worth it!
And it's the best match I have ever had in a foundation. Perfect balance: it's a neutral which leans on the yellowish side (shade 51) and has no orange tint in it - which is seldom found in yellow foundations (think of MAC or BB).
---------------------
OLD:
I know it's too early to write review, because I've been wearing it for the past 4 hours, but I'm impressed with it and want to share my experience with you. FYI I have oily, sensitive, acne prone skin with acne scarring and dry bits on on my right cheek). I'm pretty pale, with slightly yellow undertone. Neutral, but leaning yellow. From 1 to 5, 1 being the lightest, I would be 1.5.

For one year I have been trying, testing and buying high end foundations. I'm not a snob and I don't waste money on high end stuff, but I just couldn't find the right foundation in the drugstore range. Either they've been too beige, too orange or too dark, the staying power was too short: they would break into patches or fade too soon.... So I decided to go HE.

I've tried and had no luck with: illamasqua skin base (hard to blend, 06 wasn't the best match in undertone, stayed put only for 2-3 hours and then slid off and broke into patches), mac matchaster (1.5 it's way too orange, great oil control & staying power, everything's perfect but the color; in other mac foundations I couldn't find my match), MUFE HD (120, though there's NO oil control, it stays put for a long time before it starts to fade. i like this one. it's my transition shade for summer/winter), nars sheer glow (it didn't say long on me), mufe velvet (too drying and hard to blend), chanel vitalumiere aqua and perfection lumiere (b10, horrible staying power, became patchy in just 3 hrs and then i had to take them off, just like with the skin base), guerlain parure extreme (02 beige clair, wrong color match), and lastly, bobbi brown skin (02 sand, slightly too orange-y, sheerer coverage, average, brilliant staying power with a primer and sexy mama, emphasizes dryness on my right cheek).

i bought 123 pf in 51 on a whim - I really don't know why I bought it. I bought it in the lightest color they sell in Croatia. every other Bourjois foundation starts with the shade 52 and this one was the only foundation in 51. When I came home I searched reviews, and learned it oxidizes orange pretty bad. I was afraid of using it so it took me 5 days to try it out. Today I got mad with Bobbi's foundation because it made my right cheek look worse (it looked cake-y and dry) that I removed my whole make up. I opened 123 PF furiously, and thought: make it or break it. I used my RT expert brush and started applying the foundation. I was surprised by how good the color looked, how effortlessly was it to apply and buff, how nicely it covered my blemishes and how natural it looked in the end. I've set it with Sexy Mama and called it a day.
It dried rather matte and provides an even, medium coverage. Perfect for everyday use. The color is neutral, definitely warm, slightly yellow. Very good color match for me, anyway. I'm a self proclaimed MUFE 117, MAC C1 & NC15 ; a proven BB 02. Those with normal skin can skip the powdering part.

After 4 hours: still looks as nice as upon application. It may have oxidized but not enough to be noticeable, anyway. And it didn't oxidized orange! On my hand, it really does oxidize orange. How it can't be noticed on my face, I don't know. This is one of the best foundations I've used; this and the MUFE HD one. I would give my vote to MAC's Matchmaster, too, but it's way too orange and really unnatural.

After 7 hours: faded a bit but nothing a fast touch up with a pressed powder can't repair. It could have gone for two more hours, I'm sure, and it would still look nice and appropriate.

To conclude: you really don't need to go high end. The quality doesn't justify the price. In my case, anyway. If it stays put for 5 more hours, and starts to fade after 6,7 hours of wear time and doesn't become patchy on the way. this is going to be my HG winter (7-15 celsius) foundation (if I'm lucky, my all year around HG!).

I've tried Bourjois Flower Perfection 52 - too beige, darker and too matte, that it looks flat; and Healthy Mix Serum 53 - summer color, but it's too sheer and dewy, and doesn't last enough on me, couple of hours or so. As I wasn't happy with those two I went HE.

EDIT:
after 2 weeks of using it I'm still loving the foundation. It gives a medium but natural coverage, conceals everything and stays put for as long as I need it. It didn't cause clogged pores or any breakout. And it matches me pretty decent, maybe the best color match I have ever had. I use only 1-1,5 pumps per application.

on 12/29/2013 1:31:00 PM

It personally didn't work for me HOWEVER it did work amazingly well for my sister who I passed it on to.
It set a little too quickly for me and just didn't suit my skin - it worked great for my sister who polished off the bottle very fast and repurchased.
If you have problem skin it's worth a try!

on 12/12/2013 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I was totally surprised by this foundation. It was one of those " I want to buy something but i don't know what" purchases.

It turned out to be one of my best buys ever.

It blends so nicely, it has (by my standards) the perfect coverage and its so cheap!
When I first tried it I got so surprised that it took me no longer than 30 seconds to blend it in and make it look perfect. This makes it the perfect everyday foundation. It has the perfect "not too matte - not too shiny" finish to it and I don't have to set it with powder. Thats a big + in my book.

Only thing i don't like is the packaging. I find it looks so childish with all the colors and i personally prefer my makeup to look more.. hm.. adult? Can I put it that way? The plastic cap just keep falling of. It doesn't snap into place, and that can really bug me out.

on 12/9/2013 7:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is my new favourite foundation! I was spending so much money on foundations :( I loved the texture and durability of the new maybelline superstay but it oxidises terribly on me. After that I got the Nude by Dior and too shiny and wouldn't cover anything. Now I'm the happiest with this 1 2 3. I have dry skin so I make sure to moisture before and that's it. No need for matte primer or powder after. Looks natural and feels so light! The smell is good and I hate most foundations smell. This is like a babyish smell. Super super light but medium good coverage. I just would like it to stay longer. If anyone have tips please tell me! But overall worked perfectly for me!

on 11/19/2013 8:21:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Something about myself:
Chinese ethnic lives in humid super hot tropical city
skin type: combination oily with acne prone, the yucky oily mostly appears on my T zone (a lot!), my chin and my monolid's eyelid
skin color: NC25-NC30 on MAC, with yellow undertone

I bought this foundation in no. 53, and the color matches perfectly on my skin.

Pro:
- easy to buy, available on most of drugstore at my city
- price relatively cheap (I bought around $18 which is on sale, normally it's $25)
- blend easily, I found it easier blended by finger rather than my real technique expert brush
- has a flawless finish, with semi matte I might say even some people feels it is super matte. I still see a bit glow and dewy on my cheek, or side of my nose. But I don't need powder for this though which is a super plus for my oily skin.
- Lasts ok for me though! I apply on 7am until back from office on 7pm, only need to blot once or twice. Considering I always go out on sunny day every lunchtime!
- Paraben free! which a great plus and the first reason why I tried this
- has pump on the bottle
- Good coverage for daily use, not too heavy, but cover most of your post-blemish hyperpigmentation
- doesn't break me so far, I have used this product continuously for about a month

Con:
- Low SPF only 10, it will be perfect if it could have higher SPF though.
- It gives dry patches on your dry area, specially if you have dried pimple which you need to make sure there is no dry flake skin before you apply it.

Overall, it gives me hard time to think about its cons, as I love the foundation.
On day I would like my skin to be more dewy, I used to mix it with my cc cream.
I will definitely buy this again when my bottle is emptied, or I might try Bourjois healthy mix foundation to see which one better on my skin :p

Update:
Shade 53 is a little bit too dark for me. It is oxidized. I have tried healthy mix but it is too greasy for my oily face. Hence I used to mix my 123 with healthy mix for the shade to be lighter. I have finished the first bottle and has repurchased no 52 vanilla. Hope it matches my skin better. After the whole bottle, it still hasn't broken me out yet.

I still give 4 lippies though for the packaging, they should make it more like the old healthy mix bottle where it can be pumped till the last drop. When it is running out, I couldn't see it from outside the bottle, also when I open the pump there are still much left inside so I need to pour it on my hand manually. But yeah still couldn't find any other foundation to suit my oily acne prone needs here so I am still satisfied :)

on 10/12/2013 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS FOUNDATION!!!!
It keeps me MATTE ALL DAY
EASILY AVAILABLE AT MY LOCAL BEAUTY STORE
DOESN'T BREAK ME OUT
PACKAGING HAS A PUMP AND IS NOT HEAVY AT ALL
NOT EXPENSIVE

I love everything about this foundation because the healthy mix serum and regular healthy mix both broke me out like crazy, hated those.

But ONE CON about this foundation is that it clings onto dry patches. BUT this foundation still looks very natural, i love wearing this to school and for everyday wear!

on 10/4/2013 8:08:00 AM

I love this product! I have repurchased this foundation many times, and I will go back to it again after I finish the current one. I have tried many foundations, and I keep going back to this one. I love it so much!
Pros:
- Goes on beautifully
- Looks flawless
- Lasts all day, even without powder
- Smooth consistency
- Convenient packaging
- Feels light
- Has a slight powdery finish (some might no like this)

Cons:
- A bit pricey, $32 in Australia
- It clings to dry patches
- Sometimes need to apply powder during a hot day, as I get a bit shiny in the t-zone area

on 9/28/2013 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Since I have oily and acneprone skin I'm constantly looking for a matte foundation that last longer than 2 hours and doesn't break me out.
I like this foundation a lot. When just applied it looks very matte, still natural looking. I apply just one drop with a buffer brush and it covers all my blemishes, my skin looks flawless. I don't need to use a setting powder. At the end of a day at work it's a little bit shiny, but i wouldn't say oily.
The colour 53 suits me well.
I would repurchase but I like to change foundations in the hope I will find my HG (but this one is almost it! Hahaha!)
Watch out when you take pictures with flash!