MAC Lustre - Retrospeck

4.2

Mac's retrospeck is the newist addition to my mac e/s collection! I love how unique the color is, a neutral brown-ish gold with yellow undertones. I would've never picked out the color for myself, but when the mac artist put it on my arm, and fell in love! This e/s does have pros and cons. Pros: It's a beautiful unique, wearable color. I love putting it all over the lid. Cons: Since it is a lustre, it does have some chunky glitters in it, and it isn't as smooth and buttery as the veluxe pearl finishes. The pigmentation is so-so, however, you can definetely build up the color! My overall opinion of this shadow is the color is amazing but the formulation isn't my favorite.

This eyeshadow is a lustre finish so the pigmentation is not as strong as other MAC finishes. That being said, the pigmentation of this eyeshadow is just the right amount so that a lovely wash of gold can be worn. Of course it can be packed on to give a stronger look.
Very shimmery. I would definitely repurchase

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Gold eye shadows have always been a hit or miss for me because they usually have so much yellow in them that it doesn't flatter my skin tone. I've used Urban Decay's half baked eye shadow and that looked fine, but it wasn't spectacular. It flattered my friend more because the gold was a nice contrast with her light blue eyes. When I was at the MAC store, this color was highly recommended because it's an easy neutral that can easily transition from day to night. It's also a shadow that can flatter warm and cool tone skins. I'll admit I was more jazzed about my satin taupe shadow more so than this and even though that's still the case, this color certainly didn't disappoint. Retrospeck is a soft light gold with hints of pearl to it, which makes the color less yellow (something I try to avoid), therefore meshing well with my skin tone. It's a satiny finish and can easily be built up, if you're looking for a more dramatic look. It's also an easy neutral that can be used for a more natural look, if you're someone who doesn't like to wear too much eye makeup or a color to use to brighten your eyes. I use it on my lids and in the crease, when I'm wearing a lighter color eye shadow. If anything, it brings out a warmth in my eye color that doesn't usually appear when I'm wearing other colors. It's a good staple for anyone to have in their makeup stash. While it's not my favorite shadow that I own, it certainly does its job of making my eyes appear larger and giving them a depth, without having to pile on a lot of the product. It's definitely worth trying for anyone that's looking for a gold that's more on the subtle side.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I love this color!! I have so many MAC eyeshadows I hesitated to buy this one bc it looks chunky in the pan- boy am i glad i finally caved in! its a pretty white/gold shimmery color that is super complementary on my light tan/olive skin!! I think it comes in second after woodwinked which is my all time fave. I wear it during daytime just on my lid, but i can see myself wearing it for a night out as a sparkly highlighter. although the glitter particles look chunky in the pan, they dont fall out if you tap the excess off your brush before applying. I doubt I'll run out of this anytime soon since eyeshadows last so long, but I will def repurchase once I do. gorgeous!!

This seems to be such an overlooked gem--a perfect shimmery neutral.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I found the best dupe for this--but YMMV: it's the golden pastel yellow shimmer in the Sleek Original Palette. I like to have a coordination of colors when I do my makeup (less thinking), and I find them very similar to each other. This is slightly more pigmented than Sleek but since I only use this shade in the tiniest amount it doesn't bother me.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

One of my favorite highlighters for NC based skin tones (yellow/olive). For some reason, the sales people don't ever seem to dig this shade and always try to steer me toward Ricepaper instead, even though I'm asking specifically for Retrospeck (strange, huh?). Works very well with Woodwinked, in my opinion.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The best thing about it : This is a golden beige color without any orange. I hate oranges, they makes me look swollen or sick. If All That Glitter is not working for you then try this one.You'll forget your disappointment with ATG and fell in love with Respospeck.

I will repurchase this indefinitely! This has a permanent home in my 15 pan pro palette bc it is so versatile. Looks great with soooo many eyeshadows on my NC25 skin and makes the perfect brow highlight. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is one of the few MAC eyeshadows I have had to repurchase. It is one of my go-to highlighting shades (along with MAC Pigment in Vanilla and NARS Albatross). It's a frosty champagne/golden color. Definatley a good color to have in your collection.

Top Rated MAC Products