Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain (All Shades)

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

Hmm I'm still really undecided on this.
I purchased this in an unassuming colour, Corail Cerra-Colla #27, a peachy pinky colour in the tube.
I had initially tried the L'Oreal version which was unimpressive. It was watery, not long lasting and expensive. I guess I just purchased this for the hype.

This glossy stain turns from a peachy pink to a light tangerine which is not what I was expecting. It stains the lips decently and the gloss is mild, not super shiny but more balmy.

Wear time for a gloss is decent, it will last through a big coffee and maybe something small but no meals or anything.
Its not moisturising but it doesn't dry my lips out either like some reviewers.
The scent is kind of soapy to me, not sure where people are getting rotting fruit.
I'm just not wowed by this given all the reviews. There are ordinary glosses that could give the same effect for much less than $50 AUD.

on 11/3/2013 9:41:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I have this product in two colors, #10 and #12. #10 is a beautiful red, while #12 is a reddish coral on me. The formula of these products is amazing. While applying them, they feel almost watery. On the lips, they become thicker, with a beautiful glossy finish (but not too shiny). #10 lasts forever on me, it just does not budge and stays on while eating and drinking. #12 is not as long lasting though, it tends to fade a lot quicker and does not stay as well during eating or drinking. I would definitely repurchase #10 and am interested in trying other colors from the range, but I do think it was worth pointing out that not all colors in the range perform equally well.

on 10/26/2013 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I'm actually really disappointed with these. I didn't buy the full size bottle but tried out a 3 color sample that came with a sephora order. I was very impressed with the pigmentation, and the 3 shades i tried were all very pretty and wearable. (I tried number 7, 9, and 11). HOWEVER, these did not stain my lips at all. Usually even a lipstick will leave some sort of a stain on your lips. But this was actually one of the least staining products i have ever tried, even though most of the lip products i have tried weren't even intended to stain. If I had actually paid for these, I would have been kind of upset to pay $34 for a product with the word 'stain' in its name that didn't even stain. I have the revlon kissable balm stain, and that thing lasts and lasts and lasts. Once I blot my lips it doesn't leave any color on whatever my lips touch. So i know there are products out there that will actually can leave a nice stain but this one didn't.

I didn't really like the formula either. It was very thick and gooey, and I prefer something a little lighter feeling. This transferred like crazy on whatever my lips touched. My coffee mug has a ring of lip marks on it from this and wherever food or an eating utensil touched, all pigment was lost (some people were saying that it didnt transfer so i wanted to test it out). There was actually a distinct line between where my natural lip color where the glossy stain had come off, and where the glossy stain remained. I felt like this left way more transfer marks on whatever my lips touched than any of the other lip glosses ive tried.

It seems like im one of the few people here who didnt like it, though. Honestly, if this had just been called a lip gloss, i would have been satisfied with it (but probably not bought it since i dont think theres anything special about it besides the pigmentation and i dont like how thick it is). But it did not leave any stain at all (my lips have probably slightly more than average pigmentation on their own) and didn't live up to its name.

So, in short, the positives were that it was very pigmented and the colors were pretty. But the negatives were that it didn't stain at all, and i didn't like the thick gooey formula.

on 10/11/2013 4:16:00 PM

I have always preffered lip stains over lipsticks. This is THE BEST lip stain I have ever found. One application is all I need, I use no.9 color. It is a beautiful red, the best red Ive found for my skin tone. The stain feels velvety, and if it comes off at all after long day, it wears off evenly and stains my lips a lovely punch color. I adore this lippie, and it is now the only lippie I will purchase. Ive heard one tube can last you 6mo, which is worth the price ($34 i believe). Also, this stain is VERY pleasant smelling :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I finally treated myself after hearing AAAALLL about these glosses all over the interwebs...
And I do love it, many things about it are brilliant. I have it in the colour 11 which is a good modern cool red/pink on me. It's festive, extremely glam but can also be casual, if you apply it thinly and leave it to set as a stain.
The decadent, chunky YSL bottle is lovely, even though I find the doe-foot sponge thingy takes a wee bit of getting used to...
I personally think a few coats are the best, wait for a minute or two for each layer to dry and you get a bright, glossy laquered lip that flashes brilliantly in photos and stays on surprisingly long. However, it still didn't quite live up to the reputation of food-and drink-proof.
Talk-proof, yes, but not quite the perfect unbudgeable coating I'd hoped for. But, it is certainly a beautiful (I don't even mind the distinctly weirdish smell, I quite like it, it makes putting lip gloss on seem "sciency" :-)) and even when the top coat has gone you're still left with a very pretty squashed-berry smudge which I like a lot.

on 9/13/2013 11:27:00 AM

I own two of these and have had them for over six months. At first I wasn't sure whether they really were worth the money, however, as time has passed I have become more and more of a fan. I apply one coat to my lips and wait until that dries and then apply a second coat. The color is true and it wears extremely well. Since I like gloss, I usually add a little to my lower middle lip and I am good to go. The gloss adds dimension - and makes these prettier, I think.

One of the things I most like (since I am not one of those gals who reapplies lipstick often) is that I can throw one of these in my bag and reapply after a meal and otherwise I have nice defined lips for hours.

... very expensive and so an investment, but mine are still going strong and I use them all the time.

i love it! i love the feeling of it on my lips! its not at all sticky and doesn't even feel thick too. i have it in number 8 which is orange kind of colour. but i dont know it doesnt last on my lips once i start eating!!! its a stain so it should last whole day for its price. it is expensive but the staying power is poor plus it doesnt even stain my lips. for the time its on my lips looks amazing and feels amazing plus i love the colour also.

on 9/11/2013 7:41:00 PM

Love it! Pricey but so good quality. Havent found a cheaper dupe.

on 8/19/2013 8:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an amazing product. I have it in 9 and 11. There's really nothing to compare this too. You get nice opaque color and shine with one stroke. The applicator is shaped to precisely line the cupids bow and apply with minimal strokes. It may take a little practice for some but once you get the hang of it, application is quick and perfect. It really is like having lip liner, lipstick and gloss in one product that goes on super quick and lasts longer then the typical multi-step process. I find that the stain is lasting after the product is gone but since it applies so quickly, I usually reapply mid-day. Once the product sets after application, it is moderately good at not transferring. I can give my husband a good pressure peck but it won't last through a make out session. It also doesn't last well through eating with utensils but it fairs well with drinking from a glass or a straw.
UPDATE: Still using these and loving these. These are the Cadillacs of my lip gloss collection. Although they are pricey, I'm really contemplating purchasing more colors. I really feel like these are worth the money. BTW, it's super nice to have a nice red that doesn't feather.

on 7/29/2013 3:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this product! I have it in #9 Rouge Laque and plan to buy a few more soon. It's not cheap at $52 from David Jones (Australia) but it's worth it. I love wearing lipstick, but find that I'm contsantly reapplying and it builds up and gets flakey and dries my lips out. Not this! The gloss has a huge amount of colour and stays on all day/night with very minimal applications. The gloss isn't thick or tacky and actually feels quite light on your lips. I haven't found that I need a liner either, if you apply it with precision the first time. It doesn't bleed either and doesn't stain straight away so if you accidentally mess up you can just wipe it off. Highly recommended.