April 18, 2014 | 1775 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Invisible Fluid Makeup

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 6:59:00 PM More reviews by Laurel15

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After using this foundation for a few weeks, I'm not so crazy about it. But I'll start with the things I like about it: The colors blend very well with my skin. I'm able to wear both the 2CN1 and the 2CN2, depending on my hair color or outfit. It goes on very sheer and blends well with my natural skin tone. I wear it over SPF moisturizer, with a little powder over it, and it looks very nice. Not gorgeous, but nice.

However, this foundation doesn't wear well at all. By the middle of the day I look sort of dull and meh. It's hard to describe, but my favorite foundations are the ones that make my skin look polished and more glowing as they wear, so that by the evening I don't even want to wash my face. This stuff does not perform. I think it just doesn't contain enough pigment. And I wish it had an SPF. The SA told me that it was a good thing that they removed the sun protection from their foundations, but living in sunny South Florida, I need all the sun protection I can get. So I plan to continue looking for a foundation that looks great not just in the morning, but all day long.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2013 6:37:00 AM More reviews by moppage

Background info: I work an outdoor job, rain, wind or shine in a variety of locations including tip sites, waste water treatment plants, farms, forests, out at sea or on a lake. My skin is combination, in fairly good condition with some pigmentation around the mouth, nose and middle of my forehead. I occasionally get blocked pores in pigmented areas but nothing of real concern.

The Mission: To find a low-maintenance, super sheer, easy to apply foundation that will even out my skin tone and hangs around for the majority of the day. Importantly this foundation must be impossible to see on the skin, as my colleagues, clients and managers would not take me seriously if I turned up to work "made up".

How I use it: It is currently winter in New Zealand, so I will moisturise first with olay moisturising cream, then apply a neutrogena dryblock sunscreen. After these products have mostly sunk into my skin, I then apply dots of the foundation where ever I have pigmentation i.e. mouth, chin, nose and forehead, I then blend out with my fingers. I finish my makeup with the tiniest hint of highlighter on my cheeks, a lick of mascara and eyeliner massaged into my lash line a la Lisa Eldridge's no makeup makeup youtube video (look her up, she is very good).

What I think: The finish is neither dewy nor matte, but clean, fresh and healthy looking, it is very light and feels like I am wearing nothing at all, it is buildable, so if I am more pigmented than usual it is easy to just apply more without looking cakey. Throughout the day it continues to looks natural and healthy.

As this foundation is very sheer and I apply with a light touch, it does fade towards the end of the day, most noticeably around my nose, but this is most likely because I rub my nose a lot throughout the day, sometimes with rubber gloves on. I still end up with pink cheeks after all the outdoor work, but it is muted and cleaner looking. I also still get an oily forehead but much like the cheeks, it's not as obvious and looks cleaner. If I have a dry spot or flaky skin, at the end of the day the makeup does look a little patchy in these areas, but again hardly noticeable. Given that my work is physical and it is not uncommon for me to be caught out in the rain, this foundation lasts longer than I would ordinarily expect.

All in all this foundation does all that I require and will likely buy it after I finish the generous sample I was given. With this foundation, I look good, feel good and retain a touch of femininity within a sea of steel-capped boots, fleeced jumpers, high-vis vests and blue-collared language. For this reason I will continue to use it and I am happy to recommend it to anyone wanting a natural, sheer foundation for everyday. It will however be interesting to see how this foundation behaves during the summer when I start using Banana boat ultra sport spray sunscreen on my face halfway through my working day for added sun protection.

Please note: On my hunt for a foundation, I also tried Lancome visionnarie, Diorskin nude hydrating makeup and Chanel aqua vitalumiere. I honestly found the Chanel foundation to have a slightly better finish, but Estee Lauder is more affordable and fulfills all of my requirements. I am hoping to try Clarins ever matte before I buy the Estee Lauder, but feel comfortable in recommending this product to those looking for something similar to what I wanted.

I hope this review is helpful to anyone looking to try this foundation.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2013 3:48:00 AM More reviews by na8i

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Target: Light neutral normal/combination skin (MAC NC20, Chanel B20, BB Sand, Dior 02).
Mission: Natural skin, travel friendly, matte-dewy, resistant, SPF, glycerin-free!

Summary: Other Hits have included Lancome Silky Mat, Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. Invisible Fluid is by far the best. It gives the most natural looking skin, but can be layered to give everything from light to medium coverage. It is actually so natural looking that I find myself doubting that I am really wearing foundation. Try applying on one half of the face and see the difference! The finish is more matte compared to Chanel, which I really like. It stays on much longer (10 hours) as well and does not turn to a slick on my forehead! It is glycerin and oil-free - which is a must for me. No drying and irritating alcohol. The only thing that stops me from elevating it to HG status is the lack of SPF (extra step in the morning necessary). In my utopia I would also appreciate a foundation that had skin perfecting ingredients.

Shades: I use 1WN2. The SA told me that the now confusing system will be swapped out with a simpler one - e.g. the cool-neutral-warm system will be eliminated for one shade that is supposed to blend with all undertones.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2013 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Brid1

I have tried so many foundations lately in an attempt to find the colour and texture which suits me. I have very fair but freckly skin and most foundations are simply too yellow for me and create a 'mask' effect. I so wanted to love Vitalumiere by Chanel but it oxidised and didn't last too long. Doublewear by EL is my staple and the new lighter version is a favourite also. I asked the SA where this sits within the range and she wasn't too sure, in fact I found that at a few counters SA's in general were not too enthusiastic about it. I love that it is flawless and gives coverage without being shiny. It does not last all day but as another reviewer says it touches up easily, simply reapply over the top. I think this will fit into my regime for days when I want more coverage without the heavy feel on my skin. Not sure where it sits between Doublewear light, and the BB cream??

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 10:53:00 PM More reviews by pipinko550

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Well, I have a mixed feelings about this foundation. First I must say, that it is so light and beautiful, has no scent and never gave me breakouts. I'm shade 2WN1. It blends very easily and after applying two layers it gives me a good medium coverage, but without looking fake. It photographs very well, because of no SPF. The formulation of this foundation is water-silicone based (the first two ingredients are water and dimethicone), so it's very clear that this stuff makes your pores looking smoother. It doesn't truly mask your skin texture, but I definitely see the difference in places where I have big pores - it makes them looking almost invisible. The finish is luminous, but not glittery (like YSL Touche Eclat or Rimmel Wake Me Up). I tried to apply this foundation with my fingers, regular foundation brush, stippling duo-fiber brush and with sponge. I think all the ways gives you the same result. Maybe working just with your fingers means that you'll need less product, so it's a little bit thriftier way of using this product.

Now, on the other side, I must say, that this foundation doesn't last on me more that 4-5 hours. After this time it looks patchy and streaky. The positive side is that I can just reapply this without taking off any product that I recently have on my face... I just apply this over powder, bronzer and blush and then I apply powder, bronzer and blush again. And it looks flawless again, without looking, like I have too much stuff on my face. But if you don't like retouching your makeup during the day, this product is not for you.
The second problem I have is that it doesn't control oil (they put "oil-controlling" on the package, but it's a lie... I have combination skin and this makes me oily after an hour, so I have to use blotting paper).

I would buy this product again, it's not the best I've ever tried, but the skin properties and lightness play a key role for me.

UPDATE: I discovered that the key is to apply this foundation on CLEAN SKIN (without moisturizer or base). Now I bought the second bottle and love this makeup. I apply it with regular foundation brush and set it with MAC Studio Fix Plus Powder Foundation and it stays put all day long. I have combination skin and now the days are very hot, but I'm not looking oily! Wow, I'm impressed! I think I just found my holy grail foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2013 12:43:00 AM More reviews by macshine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really liked this foundation. I nearly finished mine, and I'm most likely about to buy a new one.

I enjoyed the light coverage, and appreciated that it was both alcohol and fragrance free. I have combination/oily skin, and it lasted (mostly) throughout my busy work day. I was surprised with how much foundation was left on my makeup wipe in the evening.

I would have given it the overall rating of a "5" but the makeup did oxidize on me a bit, (try going a shade lighter) and I really don't like the packaging. The spout mixed with the watery foundation easily creates a mess.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2013 2:33:00 AM More reviews by TheReviewLady

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I've been using the sample of this product for a week now and just bought a full sized version. If you get a sample, you need to make sure the product is shaken or stirred properly before application. The full-sized bottle has a little ball inside to help combine the ingredients when you shake it, the sample does not and the ingredients can separate into pigment at the bottom of the sample tube and a clear oily liquid at the top of the tube. My sample was good until five days into using it; the foundation started to look transparent on my skin because the pigment was not mixed in well. This is a water-based formula, so shaking up the mixture is important.

Generally this is the best light coverage foundation I've used so far. My skin is quite delicate and medium to heavy coverage foundations tend to look fake. I like lightweight foundations that look like skin but it's been hard finding anything that does not contain cyclopentasiloxane, talc, or bismuth oxychloride. I don't think these ingredients bother most people, but they bother me. My skin, which is dermatitis and clog prone, is very reactive to any products that contain them. So far, I've not had a problem with Estee Lauder Invisible Fluid Makeup. In fact this may be the only foundation I am able to wear. I am even thinking of getting a back-up bottle. I hope this product is never reformulated or discontinued.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2013 6:40:00 PM More reviews by julfin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in 1WN2. This is a nice, natural, everyday foundation for me. The coverage is minimal--it is a bit thin and watery, and just gives a soft evening of the skin. "My Skin But Better" kind of thing. I have had no breakouts from this, and it doesn't change throughout the day--no caking or color changes. I do keep a fuller foundation on had when I want a more "done" look.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2013 12:48:00 AM More reviews by cmlaporte

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This foundation leaves the most beautiful natural skin-like finish. I am totally in love with this product. Purchased in shade 2CN1. For the first time that I can remember, I have been able to use a liquid foundation without it appearing heavy or overly greasy, or worst of all, bright orange from oxidisation. It is worth every penny of it's $35 price to achieve this level of flawless perfection. I like to use a small tapered paddle brush to apply because it provides the best coverage on my skin pitted with old acne scars. The makeup does not settle into fine lines or pores. If anything, it optically seems to make pores appear smaller. It does not contain fragrance or any SPF.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 7:43:00 AM More reviews by miramania

It's expensive but gives my face to the most amazing glow and just about perfect coverage to let my natural beauty also shine through.