December 21, 2014 | 1823 users online

Styling Products - Not Your Mother's - Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray

rated 2 of 5 on 1/22/2014 5:21:00 PM More reviews by kfarmer2012

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

So I just used this product...

Fresh out of the shower I towel dried my hair. I waited for a few minutes before spraying any into my hair. I did a few sprays into my hair and used my blow-dry with the diffuser on it to dry my hair. It's still a little damp in the back but all it really did was make my hair smell great and gave some great soft texture to it. After blow drying I sprayed a couple more times. No waves or anything...just smells heavenly :)

I have a little bit longer than chin-length, blond, fine, straight hair with layers. Curl doesn't stick very well in my hair unless I use about a bottle and a half of hair spray (may be exaggerating but I know I have to use ALOT for curl to last in my hair) and it takes forever because I have a lot of hair. Normally (before this or any new product) I will wash my hair in the shower, towel dry, brush out the tangles, let it dry for a few minutes (while brushing teeth, applying deodorant, applying makeup, etc.), spray some heat protectant in and then blow dry. I was hoping to see some waves with this product but I guess with my stick straight hair that's too much to ask from any product!

I think next time, I will use this in addition to braiding sections of my hair before bed....I would take a shower before going to bed, towel dry, brush out, spritz away, braid hair into sections (my hair is pretty short so I would expect to have to make several braids according to my different layers) sleep on it, wake up in the morning, take out braids, do another spritz or two and then comb out. I will update as soon as I try this!

The only reason I would by this product again was if I was really desperate to get something to make my hair smell fantastic...but I have other products that I use that smell good too so really I don't know if I would buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2014 2:39:00 PM More reviews by savannapaigee

hated this!:( thank god I only bought the travel size, because my hair feels so dry and tangled after usin I once! also, it didn't give me very much texture at all! huge disappointment!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 8:52:00 AM More reviews by LazyLittleLady

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I was obsessed with B&B Surf Spray but I just couldn't justify that kind of money for a salt spray. I ran across some reviews of this and it sounded like a perfect replacement. It is easy to use on either damp or dry hair. It has a very pleasant coconut scent and I love that you can lock the nozzle so its great to travel with. I actually like this a lot more after chopping off most of my hair...its a bit shorter than shoulder length now. I have hair that looks great the first day and then falls flat the second. I use this as a second day spray and blow dry for volume. I have very straight hair, so this doesn't make any waves, though it did a bit when it was longer. I recommend spraying it on damp hair and putting it up in a bun for longer hair. I would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 6:58:00 AM More reviews by lyssaw519

I love this stuff! I use this on my "second day" hair by soaking my dry hair with it at night and French braiding my hair. The next morning I take the braid out and scrunch a little hair spray in and my hair has beachy waves that last all day! My hair is naturally straight, fine, and damaged and never holds a curl so for my hair to be wavy all day is amazing. This stuff works great and smells good too. HG product for me!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Backmasking

I wish this worked for me. While this does smell amazing, it just makes my hair look unkempt. I gave this to my 13 year-old sister.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by cathykl

I used up an entire bottle of Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray in less than 2 months, and did not want to buy another bottle (which is super tiny and I have long hair, plus for salt water the price is outrageous for the amount in my opinion).

This stuff is the best I have tried from the drugstore. I tried L'oreal's version but the smell was obnoxious, over-powering and lasted so long I could smell it on my jacket 4 days later. . yuck. That went into the bin. I then tried SunSilk (spray nozzle broke after 3rd use, discontinued now I think, but a bit too drying) and it Surf Spray (also great and I use this as well). But for smell, formula and price Beach Babe is best! It has a nice suntan lotion smell, easy to spray with a slightly pointed nozzle and costs less than $5. I've had the same bottle for 4 months now and lots left.

It gives my straight, flat but thick hair volume and a perfect "un-done" tousled texture I love but is hard to get with long, stick straight hair. I just mist on a small amount all over my hair when it's slightly damp, but not right out of the shower. When it's completely dry I go over the roots again for volume. I don't want my hair super messy - but when this spray is used lightly it gives great volume and texture without looking like you haven't combed your hair since last week. Very happy a company other than B&B got this right! I would definitely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by mmccartney

This product gives me good texture but not necessarily waves. The coconut and ocean smell is fantastic. Also, the packaging on this one is great; you can lock the top so it won't make a mess traveling.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2013 11:26:00 PM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Like many women who came of age in the early 2000s, I am still mourning the loss of John Frieda's Beach Blonde Wave Spray and all of the middle school memories and that really saccharine sweet bubblegum pop commercial with the two blonde twins that were associated with it. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, Frieda discontinued the product and one of the few good hair choices I made pre-2006 was no longer available, so I've been on the search for a texturizer similar to Beach Waves since.

There are a lot of imitators to the throne, most are familiar with Bumble and Bumble's surf spray but I found it didn't really do much for my hair and the price point is ridiculous. Frieda came out with several wave sprays, but none matched what he had originally put out. A good texturizer with sea salt needs to also have a fair amount of conditioning/smoothing in it for it to "cure" into piecey perfection rather than just be dried out and frizz-producing and nobody was getting the formula right. I had spent way too much money and eventually just assumed that I'd never find a product comparable, but one day at Ulta I ended up telling my over dramatic tale to a sales associate and she being of the same age understood and pointed me to this.

I am thrilled to say a drugstore priced product has finally gotten back on track and that this is about as close to Beach Waves as anyone will probably get. With this, I do a light mist over damp hair and then do a few more sprays over my ends before twisting it up into a loose bun and letting it activate my waves. The silicone in this help everything separate the way they ought to and then when the salt dries everything comes into place, activating my wavy hair into mermaid texture. If I need a little more moisture with this, I'll add a few drops of jojoba oil in and shake and that helps it get closer to BW perfection. The scent here is nice as well and isn't overpowering. I'm not too keen on the packaging as I find that it's not super airtight and dried up salt tends to build up around the top of the bottle and on the nozzle. . I'm just glad there's a suitable drugstore option here and I'm not shelling out $25 for Bumble and Bumble's non-performing beach brine.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Raeshelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

this stuff is really good! it really holds nice texture. I have medium texture hair and its oily as well. Its also really thick. I spray this all around to my curls, waves or crimps to keep the texture, and i love it. My favorite time to use it is for my messy buns. It gives that "perfect messy bun" look and holds well. I really feel like im going to the beach when I use it. loving it! Cheers! <3 P.S. it has real sea salt in it so it really is salty...DONT get any in your eyes or mouth!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2013 11:55:00 AM More reviews by stimwink1

I have VERY short fine hair and don't always want or have time to screw with it. This just adds a little texture to my hair so it's not totally flat but not like the pastes that take so much time and effort not to gunk your hair in one spot.

For thos that gave it a bad rating that I read. It's not a "big hair" product. If you are looking for that go for Big Sexy Hair products or the pastes that are out there. Because it is a liquid it may not work as well on heavier, thicker, kinkier hair. Again think you might want to look into a heavier product to get the relaxed beachy tossled look..

Love the smell. I've just spritz this in when I've been somewhere where people have been smoking or something similar and my hair grabs the stinky smell. This takes it out fast without using the dry shampoo.