April 16, 2014 | 1929 users online

Scrubs - brown sugar scrub

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2010 10:26:00 PM More reviews by pawnshop_rose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wonderful stuff. Before making my own scrubs I was literally washing money down the drain with the chemical laden, store bought scrubs I was using. So I thought I would try to make my own scrub instead. I usually use:
* 1 cup of brown or turbinado sugar
* 1/2 cup of oil (olive, jojoba, coconut or whatever I have on hand)
* 2 tablespoons of honey

The honey is optional but I like to add it because it smells great and is a humectant. I have also added vanilla, lemon juice, ground oatmeal, aloe vera gel. You can add almost anything to your scrub. Also if you like it scrubbier add more sugar and decrease the amount of oil. I also sometimes do a mix of oils as well. I take some scrub in a plastic container and apply it in the shower to damp skin. I apply in gentle, circular motions. When I get out of the shower my skin is soft and moisturized. But do be careful as sometimes the scrub can make the shower slippery after you use it.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2010 3:18:00 PM More reviews by rachel1031

My aesthetician recommended sugar. I just read these reviews, mixed some up with some canola oil, and jumped in the shower. It works as described on the face and body. I have *bought* sugar scrubs before and liked them, duh, using SUGAR is just as good and so cheap!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2010 4:37:00 AM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have a stockpile of little brown sugar packets from starbucks (I'm an caffein addict) and found the coarseness of raw sugar perfect for exfoliating my feet and heels. I soften it with some hot water to make a semi-paste and rub and rub away for a few minutes in the shower. Don't need a brush anymore, my callouses are softening up and I had them forever and the nails just glow pink with health. All the dead skin gone. Love this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2010 12:06:00 PM More reviews by atomic_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'd also like to sing the praises of homemade brown sugar-olive oil scrub. I use it in the shower and my skin feels like velvet. I keep it in a Ziploc screw-top plastic tub. You probably have both components in your kitchen pantry already, and if you don't, they're cheap!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2010 10:45:00 AM More reviews by iheartclothes

I ran out of scrub so I decided to try mixing olive oil and brown sugar. I read about it here a while ago. I loved it! My skin so smooth and it smells so yummy while using it. The only draw back is that it can be a bit messy in the shower. I need to figure out a container for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2010 7:28:00 PM More reviews by deineira

I have been making my own body scrubs for many years, and a homemade concoction of brown sugar mixed with any vegetable oil works well. It is also nice to add a little bit of shea butter (maybe 10%) to the mix, as shea is an excellent skin moisturizer as well. This leaves my skin smooth, moisturized and ready to go.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2010 2:46:00 PM More reviews by ALstylist

This is an awesome body scrub that is all natural and easy to make yourself! Mix brown sugar and olive oil using less oil than sugar. The oil will absorb slowly into the sugar. Use just enough to moisten the sugar. I take a small sealable container of this in the shower with me. At the very end of shower take some in your hand and rub together gently then smooth over your entire body in circular motions. rinse. The thing I love about this is that after application the brown sugar dissolves into your skin and the oil leaves your skin moist and glowy! Just be careful when applying. Can be messy and may leave your shower floor slick if you spill.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2010 7:28:00 PM More reviews by artarbox

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't know why I didn't think of this before because I love love Alba's cane sugar scrub. I just threw a bunch of brown sugar in a dish and mixed about a teaspoon of jojoba oil and a teaspoon of coconut oil with it to dampen it a bit and scrubbed on wet skin in the shower. Though it's a little scratchier than I'd like, it feels great and smells awesome and it makes me feel like baby booty :) I've tried olive oil with it too, but it's a little too slimy for me. Jojoba and coconut seem to absorb into my skin way better while olive oil is just sort of coating.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2010 6:53:00 PM More reviews by xDOLLFACEx

Love it. mixed w/ olive oil it make a awesome scrub, but it tends to clog the drain so thats a problem.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2010 6:39:00 PM More reviews by Utopia22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Hooray, this really works! Though i mix it with a regular body soap cos i felt that olive oil left my skin with a oily layer. Felt sticky and not the best preparation for self tanning.
I use The Body Shop gloves which are great and make me use the brown sugar more efficiently (don't loose to much sugar).